Waiting for AAS Tassman 5 (probably to no avail)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Tassman

electro wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:After the big disappointment with ultra analog 2, I hold very little faith that tassman 5 would be great. I say just let tassman die with dignity.

-Sam
Disappointment with what, oscillators and filters?
Disappointed that they updated jack shit and gave us a god-awful tabbed browser that is overkill on an interface that simple. That's the biggest waste of a major update that I've ever seen.

I'm anxious to see what they put in version 3 in 2023. They might even put another filter model in there somewhere.

-Sam
Last edited by masterhiggins on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

murnau wrote:upgrading from UA-1 was a no-brainer. some people didn't like the GUI - i'm okay with it.
+1

I got in a mail from AAS also the news in march that they will update the GUI of Ultra analog 2, they will make it bigger in size ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

BBFG# wrote:
KTlin wrote:
MillerSam wrote:At the moment , AAS finish the String String Studio 2 , after that they begin the development of version 2 of the both guitar plugins (acoustic and electric) and after that maybe tassman 5
Oh boy. That doesn't sound good :scared:
They said this at NAMM too.
Now that I know the String Studio (VS-1) is one of the few VSTi that won't work under Blue Cat's Patchwork, I'm glad this is the first on the list. I would definitely like Tassman to go through a major GUI overhaul, but VS-1 is the one AAS plugin I use the most.
So, I can get on-board with their plan.
BBFG, Tassman was my own personal nightmare. IIRC yours was Atmosphere, but I spent at least an extra $100 twice and I don't even have my serial numbers now, lol. (On a side-note the minimum/recommended specs were an unholy joke around 2000. So much was happening with software, and most of us got burned pretty badly.)

But as it repeatedly crashed my system, with exceeded recommended specs, on a computer I had built for a DAW I still used it with very little understanding of it. I learned and upgraded my system but I never could think of it as a go-to synth. Too much trauma not fully under the bridge at that time.

But I've always said it's underrated. There are certain patches that still haunt me; that church cathedral organ is a trip. And back in the day I could call AAS and they'd spend an hour with me just trying to help.

It's a great synth.

declan32001 wrote:
BBFG, Tassman was my own personal nightmare. IIRC yours was Atmosphere, but I spent at least an extra $100 twice and I don't even have my serial numbers now, lol. (On a side-note the minimum/recommended specs were an unholy joke around 2000. So much was happening with software, and most of us got burned pretty badly.)
But as it repeatedly crashed my system, with exceeded recommended specs, on a computer I had built for a DAW I still used it with very little understanding of it. I learned and upgraded my system but I never could think of it as a go-to synth. Too much trauma not fully under the bridge at that time.
But I've always said it's underrated. There are certain patches that still haunt me; that church cathedral organ is a trip. And back in the day I could call AAS and they'd spend an hour with me just trying to help.
It's a great synth.
I think it's a great synth too. I just can't find any flow in programming it. I feel like I'm dealing more with a hi-fi set from the fifties than a synth. So it really gets more use as a player.
And just so you know, the 'nightmare' with Atmosphere had more to do with support as much or more than the synth itself. They changed their minimum specs during the support to negate my system and then de-authorized the dealer that sold it to me and then magically erased my account with them. (Sample Logic is doing something very similar right now.)
I bought Tassman as part of the bundle upgrade through CW and was nicely surprised by what it has to offer. All of their products have a nice tone, body/character to them and I feel they're all underrated. When I talk to them at their booth at NAMM, they are extremely pleasant and professional to deal with. And with the deals and freebies they send in their email newsletters, they are one of the best deals and bang for the buck you can get these days.

BBFG# wrote:
declan32001 wrote:
It's a great synth.
I think it's a great synth too. I just can't find any flow in programming it. I feel like I'm dealing more with a hi-fi set from the fifties than a synth. So it really gets more use as a player.
And just so you know, the 'nightmare' with Atmosphere had more to do with support as much or more than the synth itself. They changed their minimum specs during the support to negate my system and then de-authorized the dealer that sold it to me and then magically erased my account with them. (Sample Logic is doing something very similar right now.)
I bought Tassman as part of the bundle upgrade through CW and was nicely surprised by what it has to offer. All of their products have a nice tone, body/character to them and I feel they're all underrated. When I talk to them at their booth at NAMM, they are extremely pleasant and professional to deal with. And with the deals and freebies they send in their email newsletters, they are one of the best deals and bang for the buck you can get these days.
BBFG# wrote:
declan32001 wrote:
It's a great synth.
Jeez, through CW? That's how I came into it. I had been with them since '95 and though Sonar1 was great I was angry with them for 2 years because of The Tassman.

There are many great synths out there that I find a PITA to use that are dirt-cheap (or free) but Tassman isn't that hard to figure out, and I'd probably use it if I still had it.

dayjob wrote:i hate the builder window more than anything else i use.
I could never get past that. A real shame - I was all revved up to explore the physical modeling but it felt so clunky it buzzkilled the whole experience.

It has great sound quality and a unique character, but my god that interface.

Anyone interested in Tassman at this point should consider Reaktor instead, which now does phys mod with its modal bank, or Zebra which is easier to learn and can also cover some of the phys mod territory with its comb filters. Both of them are updated regularly and are much, much easier to work with than Tassman.

~Pd~ wrote:
I could never get past that. A real shame - I was all revved up to explore the physical modeling but it felt so clunky it buzzkilled the whole experience.

It has great sound quality and a unique character, but my god that interface.
My thoughts exactly. I couldn't agree more.

I now have it back up and running in LogicX via 32 Lives and it's been great exploring some of my old patches made many years ago. It does have a lot of character and the UI is bearable enough to keep on using it.

why not get both reaktor and tassman they each have their strengths and Harm Viser has many instruments he has built for both, plus xenos and himalayas work on VS1 is really impressive as well. I want them both and all those presets as well. I think it sounds awesome and is very under appreciated as well. There are plenty of VA's that people can get for those sounds but Tass has a sound all its own that is another category of sound all its own. I would go reaktor / monark for analog sounding VA's and use tass for the PM stuff. at least that is my plan when I win the lottery so I can snatch all the VSTI's up and just get one of each. I too want that whole AAS bundle from CW and I will get that this year.

yessongs wrote:why not get both reaktor and tassman

:lol:

Glad to see I'm not alone here. I love the sound of Tassman, but the builder is extremely frustrating (you can't even hear what you're working on!), and the GUI for the modules is clunky, even if I like the graphical design on the elements themselves. The browser is the worst. Sigh. But I've made at least one song that is totally based on Tassman sounds and I love the richness of the sounds in it.

Disappointed to hear they squandered all this time with a poor GUI update in Ultra Analog 2. That synth sounds good too, but the GUI is tiny and has that crappy browser. When I heard about the new version with new GUI, I was feeling hopeful. :-/ I hope to see String Studio 2 make improvements in the same areas, but if UA2 failed at it... :-p

Maybe bad GUI design is just an unavoidable problem when the developers are seriously deep in physics maths and DSP programming :hihi:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

~Pd~ wrote:
Yeah, same here. As someone who always loved modulars i always wanted to have this but never could justify the rather high price. Then there was that sudden unexpected sale at cakewalks 1 or 2 years ago where you could get it for real cheap. And of course i got all excited. But i have learned my lessons when it comes to spontaneous software purchases a long time ago. So i checked it out again and man did that editor interface do my head in. The more modules you wired up the less you could see of the structure because the connector cables were arranged in a way only a complete moron would do it. (Sorry.) Overlapping each other, going in the strangest directions, totally eliminating even the slightest chance of seeing what is currently connected with what. It was an ergonomic nightmare. Of course i passed, and im still glad that i did. I would have gone mad with this thing.

i still use it now and then but usually as a processor. can do nice sounding things with those plate emulations. turns percussive material into melody etc. makes a great thing to drop on a send or as an insert. unique sounding and stuff i can't achieve in other places.

i wish they'd update it. i really do. they wouldn't even have to add new modules.. just make it not so f**king cumbersome to use and make it compatible with current OSs and all that.

not holding out hope though. it's reaching the absurd at this point.

Return to “Instruments”