The Guitar Show (Show yours)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:
hibidy wrote:Still, it's a fine instrument it seems. Those pups are very well matched. Honestly, I think you've mentioned that before but people have a tendency to want evo's and such.
Which does it have? My #1 Prestige has the Tone Zone in the bridge and the PAF Pro in the neck. The previous owner raised all the pole pieces of PAF Pro and I think that's what makes it sound like it does, it's a lot edgier than any PAF I've ever used and that makes it sound really great in the neck position to me.
Tone zone/true velvet/norton.

KrisM wrote:A month ago I went in for an eBow, but walked out with....

lol. Just saw it on the wall, and the color was so interesting to me. They call it white blonde, it's ever-so-faintly translucent, this pinkish whitish almost like a fair skin. A MIM FSR Standard, and it was $150. For $350 I just couldn't pass it up when it played so well. I planned to upgrade the pups and might, but it's been a great ambient guitar as-is.

And this one was when I was driving my car far to put enough highway miles on it so it would pass inspection, I discovered the S1XXV:

Because bright green. I used to ride a Kawasaki ninja almost this color, I love it. My first official Ibanez and I have to say I am a big fan of the S series, now. It's my lightest guitar by far, and sounds lovely. Of course it plays effortlessly, though I can't give it a workout due to my own skill regression and slicing open two fingers on my fret hand =/

I think the S1 is going to need some new pickups, though. The ones in it are okay, but I have my eye on a few choices to replace them.

My Carvin is a little nervous at my lusting over a S5570Q Prestige in Doom Burst, but I won't let myself buy one of those until I get my chops back.
I like those.

^ YEAH - that Strat is very beautiful
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

hibidy wrote:Tone zone/true velvet/norton.
Norton in the neck! :o

That's my all-time favorite bridge pickup. I'm glad to hear it also sounds good in the neck. I can imagine that working well, particularly when paired with a Tone Zone. I bet the 2 and 4 positions sound perfect with those hot humbuckers auto-splitting.

Sounds pretty good. Actually, the shocking surprise is how good the true velvet sounds!

Voted most played guitar in my arsenal since 1992. Love the neck on this baby.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote:Voted most played guitar in my arsenal since 1992. Love the neck on this baby.
Lots of meat on that one.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

@Morelia, I've played the model with fixed bridge and it's true about the neck and also is a guitar very eclectic\versatile...

Anyway I decided to sell My Ibanez RG (hate the Floyd Roses at all!!!) and my Squier Stratocaster to buy a simple LTD M-50 or M-10 to fix with Bill Lawrence XL 500 bridge pu (pay attention to this pick up) and an old Seymour Duncan Super 59 on neck (both pickups spitting to single coils), brass nut (the first fret) and Wilkinson bridge as my definitive guitar...

morelia wrote:Voted most played guitar in my arsenal since 1992. Love the neck on this baby.
Steve Morse model! That's one of my first lusts, I've always wondered what kinds of sounds you could pull out of all those pickups and switches. ;)

Uncle E wrote:Steve Morse model! That's one of my first lusts, I've always wondered what kinds of sounds you could pull out of all those pickups and switches. ;)
Plenty of variety. I get so much variety out of it I find I have to remind myself to get my others out of the cupboard.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

I never understood how expensive Teles are better than cheap ones (besides for the nicer looks, it doesn't get much better than a rosewood Telecaster imo), so I got me a cheap Tele and I love it! Tuning's FAC#FAC# (all major thirds) so I'm thinking of restringing it for more even string tension (the top strings are a bit loose and I guess you can hear it), but I'm also considering maybe going up to AC#FAC#F as I just care more for the highs than the lows.

Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Same with tone.

I will say that there is a special quality to american made fenders ...that extra finishing touch in workmanship which makes them more enjoyable to play then many knock offs or even mim's.

Is it worth the price difference? Well how much money are you rolling in? I was never rich but there have been times were I was perfectly happy to drive a new car and buy nice expensive things for myself. These days even if I had the money for an expensive tele or strat I'd keep it at home and take a moderately priced version on stage. Which is the inverse of my former life where appearance meant everything to me. I guess that's what happens when you get old and ugly.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Same with tone.

I will say that there is a special quality to american made fenders ...that extra finishing touch in workmanship which makes them more enjoyable to play then many knock offs or even mim's.

Is it worth the price difference? Well how much money are you rolling in? I was never rich but there have been times were I was perfectly happy to drive a new car and buy nice expensive things for myself. These days even if I had the money for an expensive tele or strat I'd keep it at home and take a moderately priced version on stage. Which is the inverse of my former life where appearance meant everything to me. I guess that's what happens when you get old and ugly.
Yeah, that's what I thought, as someone who's not rolling in money. Plus I'd have more qualms about modifying a more expensive Tele if the occasion ever arises.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

A_SN wrote: Image
^ perfect
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

tapper mike wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Same with tone.
Too true. I got a no-name Japanese Telecaster Deluxe body loaded with "Powersound" pickups for $75 and it's one of my favorite guitars. It doesn't sound anything like a real Tele Deluxe - those pickups are wound hot and drenched in wax - but it's got an amazingly crisp, detailed tone for a humbucker-equipped guitar.
Not to mention that many of the parts are made on the very same machines that Leo was using back in the 50's. That's too cool.

Anyway, my favorite strat bridge is a massive steel thing made in China. It made my American Fender strat sound much better. I recently found a bridge with a huge brass block from a Korean company, that ought to be killer. Pickups-wise, I don't like most Asian pickups (MIM Fenders use Asian pickups) but the Korean-made Kent Armstrong Stealth 90 is the best hum canceling P90 I've found, better than the Lindy Fralin's, IMO. While the pickups aren't the only thing that make the sound, a cheap guitar with awesome upgraded pickups could definitely hang with an American Fender with some of their less cool stock pickups.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”