New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Finally got round to fingerer jamming the TR3 and TR8 today.

TR3 sounds ok but really I think Audiorealisms ABL and D16 Phosycon actually sound better. Definately happier with the xoxbox for sound. Didn't really get on with the touchscreen either, but I prefer tactility than leaving fingerprints on everything...but I'm not from the ipad generation I guess. Overall it just doesn't sound nice to me personally, others may disagree I am sure.

TR8...I actually like this. Never playing a 808/909 and only listening to web demoes and tracks from decades gone I can't give any comparissons.

But as a standalone drum machine it's pretty good fun. The sounds are excellent, my ears got close to bleeding on the bass kick pitch tweaking. It's got it's place and will defintately keep an eye on what the future holds with the whispered expansions/upgrades. I think if I didn't have a Maschine which has way too many samples both factory and self collected, I'd jump in. It does what it says on the tin. The tweaks per voice and per step and a nice touch.

No idea about technical midi implementation (which I suspect is missing), I think this is possibly reflective of both devices. Be great if the TR8 could double up as a remote mixer for the daw mute/volume changes but there we go. Same goes for the TR3 using the touchscreen as x/y control. Not sure how that would work alongside actual playback of the devices, saying that these are aimed at live performance and jamming.

Ah well my 2 cents/pennies/euros etc...

Back to the trolling, slating, bitching, geeking and general niceties we come to expect from this thread :)

MFXxx wrote:No idea about technical midi implementation (which I suspect is missing), I think this is possibly reflective of both devices. Be great if the TR8 could double up as a remote mixer for the daw mute/volume changes but there we go. Same goes for the TR3 using the touchscreen as x/y control. Not sure how that would work alongside actual playback of the devices, saying that these are aimed at live performance and jamming.
My understanding is all the TR-8 controls do send midi... so it should be possible

pdxindy wrote:
MFXxx wrote:No idea about technical midi implementation (which I suspect is missing), I think this is possibly reflective of both devices. Be great if the TR8 could double up as a remote mixer for the daw mute/volume changes but there we go. Same goes for the TR3 using the touchscreen as x/y control. Not sure how that would work alongside actual playback of the devices, saying that these are aimed at live performance and jamming.
My understanding is all the TR-8 controls do send midi... so it should be possible
I don't see why not. FWIW: The sliders don't feel bad on the unit, they're not as nice as they are on many DJ controllers, but they are better than what you find on most inexpensive midi controllers.

Did anyone else see this at Messe? There is as-yet not seen elsewhere sync box. If this is reasonably priced it might be a good time to unload your KMS-30s etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7JLcuBtLRc

I saw this over at GearSlutz where there opinion seems to be about as equally divided. Several have observed, as I have, that people who want this are really people who want the real thing.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... a-319.html
I guess my point is, people who are excited about this don't want a digital replacement; they want the real thing. They want the original machines that provided the basis for so much ground-breaking music. That is why the interest is there. When people realize it's just a fugazi, no matter how convincingly similar,they will move on, still hungry. Roland could have floored us by giving new instruments that would be as mind-popping as the original TR-808 and 909 were back in the day. They didn't do that, and they didn't even give us proper re-issues of these old ones, just the cheapened-up "austerity digital" versions that will be forgotten within a few years, not to mention resented. What else is new?

I think this deceased horse has been well and truly flogged...

Kriminal wrote:I think this deceased horse has been well and truly flogged...
Hardly, they just came out. The System-1 isn't even in stores yet. There are multiple rounds yet to go on this horse.

There shall yet be flogging!

I haven't even seen the synchronizer, have you?

ghettosynth wrote:I saw this over at GearSlutz where there opinion seems to be about as equally divided. Several have observed, as I have, that people who want this are really people who want the real thing.
The setup was weird... there were wires/cables all over everything... running right across the face of various devices...

With so many devices and things wired to each other, it was hard to tell what was making what sound... however, it sounded to me like the old hardware kinda stole the show...

pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I saw this over at GearSlutz where there opinion seems to be about as equally divided. Several have observed, as I have, that people who want this are really people who want the real thing.
The setup was weird... there were wires/cables all over everything... running right across the face of various devices...

With so many devices and things wired to each other, it was hard to tell what was making what sound... however, it sounded to me like the old hardware kinda stole the show...
Ah yes, well, I deleted my criticism of that "show", I was mostly pointing out the syncbox. Nonetheless, I love how the photographers are getting closeups of an SH-101. One sound you can hear clearly is the thin System 1 chords towards the end. I'm sure that it can do better than that, at least I hope so.

MFXxx wrote:Finally got round to fingerer jamming the TR3 and TR8 today.

TR3 sounds ok but really I think Audiorealisms ABL and D16 Phosycon actually sound better. Definately happier with the xoxbox for sound. Didn't really get on with the touchscreen either, but I prefer tactility than leaving fingerprints on everything...but I'm not from the ipad generation I guess. Overall it just doesn't sound nice to me personally, others may disagree I am sure.

TR8...I actually like this. Never playing a 808/909 and only listening to web demoes and tracks from decades gone I can't give any comparissons.

But as a standalone drum machine it's pretty good fun. The sounds are excellent, my ears got close to bleeding on the bass kick pitch tweaking. It's got it's place and will defintately keep an eye on what the future holds with the whispered expansions/upgrades. I think if I didn't have a Maschine which has way too many samples both factory and self collected, I'd jump in. It does what it says on the tin. The tweaks per voice and per step and a nice touch.

No idea about technical midi implementation (which I suspect is missing), I think this is possibly reflective of both devices. Be great if the TR8 could double up as a remote mixer for the daw mute/volume changes but there we go. Same goes for the TR3 using the touchscreen as x/y control. Not sure how that would work alongside actual playback of the devices, saying that these are aimed at live performance and jamming.

Ah well my 2 cents/pennies/euros etc...

Back to the trolling, slating, bitching, geeking and general niceties we come to expect from this thread :)
I'm gonna wait until the mid-year sales. Hopefully I can pick up a deal

Live at Studio76 Madrid: good, bad, new old? It's just the first few minutes of his set.

https://soundcloud.com/alexvazquezmusic ... drid-05-04
Gear: Roland Aira TR-8, Roland Aira VT-3, Roland TR-707, Doepfer MS-404, Novation Bass Station II, Moog Minitaur, Cyclone TT-303, Korg Volca Bass, Korg Volca Beats, Korg Volca Keys, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay

ghettosynth wrote:Live at Studio76 Madrid: good, bad, new old? It's just the first few minutes of his set.

https://soundcloud.com/alexvazquezmusic ... drid-05-04
Gear: Roland Aira TR-8, Roland Aira VT-3, Roland TR-707, Doepfer MS-404, Novation Bass Station II, Moog Minitaur, Cyclone TT-303, Korg Volca Bass, Korg Volca Beats, Korg Volca Keys, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay

Loaded question....its subjective. Unlikely you will know whats playing what anyway.

ghettosynth wrote: One sound you can hear clearly is the thin System 1 chords towards the end. I'm sure that it can do better than that, at least I hope so.

It can do much better than that. It looks like they chose a thin pad on purpose. System 1can sound very 'full'.

Besides I wouldn't be judging the sound from a recording made with a moving camera mic, which makes everything sound tinny.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Example of what is possible if you know how to use it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcd7tmOdjvo

And it's early days yet....

..moved to next page...
Last edited by ghettosynth on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dcfac73 wrote:Example of what is possible if you know how to use it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcd7tmOdjvo
You don't think that's possible with just live? Really? Do you think that's somehow elevated?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”