Ableton Push.. How is it?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Push

That's pretty much what happened to me.

I purchased Push with the intention of using it with Reaper (via PXT General) but ended up purchasing Live 9 Suite after spending some time with Push and the Live demo...

I can't say (yet) that Live will become my primary DAW but it's definitely my primary creativity tool.
The Push was easily worth the $.

lachrimae wrote: I purchased Push with the intention of using it with Reaper (via PXT General) but ended up purchasing Live 9 Suite after spending some time with Push and the Live demo...
You might be interested that I wrote a (free) tool to support Push with Reaper:
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Push/Push.html

My Push is shipping tommorow :) I'm mostly looking forward to 2D keyboard with scale support and generic hardware controller features. However, using it as clip player may also be very creative to produce random FX and glitches I'm not able to lay down with mouse.

Well, will be able to tell more in some time.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks for the link Jürgen.

I haven't had time to give it a thorough run through but from what I've seen so far your layout is very intuitive.

Also, is there a way to free up the assignment of Track encoders 3-8 which are currently assigned to Sends 1-6? I see that I can still assign those encoders to VST parameters but they share the assignment with the Send. Is there a better way to go about assigning parameters to those encoders?

Mark

If you own Max and know a little bit of JavaScript you can modify the behaviour quite easily. Beside that no.

Would it be practical to use a Push and an APC40 in the same setup, especially when improvising/jamming live? Along the lines of using the Push to compose/sequence then the APC40 to launch clips, mute and solo tracks, etc.
Using: Alchemy, Synth Squad, Arp 2600v, DSI Mopho desktop, PC

Smoking_Gnu wrote:Would it be practical to use a Push and an APC40 in the same setup, especially when improvising/jamming live? Along the lines of using the Push to compose/sequence then the APC40 to launch clips, mute and solo tracks, etc.
For me the most usefull feature would be to use the faders, not that easy to adjust volume from push.
dedication to flying

I'm already in love with Push. Maybe because it's my first proper midi controller ;). it's very sturdy, sensitive and feels good overall. Also, it helps with these parts that were troublesome so far - such as arpeggios, percussion groove, modulation of multiple parameters (acid!). Later wil try it as effector - but I'm not experienced with these.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I'm definitely thinking about getting one. I currently have a Novation Remote 61 and 25sl and I think it might be fun to replace the 25SL to get a different style of midi controller just to mix things up.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Well, just ordered one and should be getting it tomorrow, so here's hoping for the best! Looking forward to trying this out along an APC40 running the JP74 Sequencer.

Well, color me impressed - this definitely lived up to the hype. I've been really enjoying going through my synth plugins and saving them as instrument racks so I can quickly get them running in Push, then figuring out the best way to layout the macros so I have access to all the basic functions. Strobe has been the easiest to do this with so far, though tonight I'm going to try seeing if I can navigate the Fusor shell using Push alone. Great stuff and definitely worth the investment.

Smoking_Gnu wrote:Well, color me impressed - this definitely lived up to the hype. I've been really enjoying going through my synth plugins and saving them as instrument racks so I can quickly get them running in Push, then figuring out the best way to layout the macros so I have access to all the basic functions. Strobe has been the easiest to do this with so far, though tonight I'm going to try seeing if I can navigate the Fusor shell using Push alone. Great stuff and definitely worth the investment.
I must have misread what you wrote. I could have sworn you just said that you actually enjoyed the annoying and tedious task of persuading Push to support your VST plugins!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Well, I haven't made an in-depth push (har) to use said supported VSTs in, say, a live set, but it doesn't seem that bad now? Just open and save an instrument rack and then figure out an ideal macro layout - IE, with Strobe I have the seven oscillator sliders and main amp on page 1; Cutoff, Res, Envelope Follow and Mod ADSR on page 2; Amp ADSR and assorted stuff on page three. Only took about ten minutes to organize and switching between macro menus was pretty quick once I learned the key layout.

deastman wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:Well, color me impressed - this definitely lived up to the hype. I've been really enjoying going through my synth plugins and saving them as instrument racks so I can quickly get them running in Push, then figuring out the best way to layout the macros so I have access to all the basic functions. Strobe has been the easiest to do this with so far, though tonight I'm going to try seeing if I can navigate the Fusor shell using Push alone. Great stuff and definitely worth the investment.
I must have misread what you wrote. I could have sworn you just said that you actually enjoyed the annoying and tedious task of persuading Push to support your VST plugins!

I have no interest to try and create sounds in something like Zebra using Push or any controller. The mouse and screen works much better. Once I have a sound designed, then even before getting Push I was already making racks to use the Macro knobs for realtime control. So Push works great for VST's

Over the last few years I've bought a number of bits of hardware (both controllers and synths) and most of them have been sold. Push hasn't, it's been the most used and best thing I've bought by a long way.

It's not just great for controlling Live, it makes you want to tinker and experiment, which is exactly what a good piece of kit should do! ;)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”