saw waves

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Iv been trying to get my supper saws sounding good for quite a while now. iv tried different vst's and i always come across the same problem when i get into the upper harmonics of the sound C5 - C7 i will always notice a high pitch whistling sound that drives me insane. sometimes its worse then other depending on the plugin or melody. iv done alot of research and i feel like it could be multiple thing going on. One being the oscillators are phasing with each other iv looked into this the most, and recently have looked into aliasing and the nyquist theorem and over sampling ...witch i don't know much about or even if its relevant to my problem. I started to listen to songs and notice that the unwanted frequencys are there at some point i just feel like they know how to mask them the right way. iv done subtractive EQing to certain freq. However i always lose the beef of the sound or other bad freqency's arise.

Definitely sounds like you are having problems with aliasing. The only way to avoid it is to try a differnt VSTi, which doesn't have these problems, or to switch to a higher sampling rate (Oversampling is basically nothing else than switching to a higher sampling rate).

A cool way to make supersaw-ish sounds sound better across a wide range of the keyboard is to have less detuning on higher keys than on lower keys by the way. Simply modulate the detuning parameter (or whatever is used to achieve the detuning in your case) with keytracking to achieve that effect.

Cheers
Dennis

hmm its great to get a good focus point instead of reading up on the wrong thing i really appreciate it dennis. the part i don't get is i hear it on all songs in the edm industry however its not as bad as mine or some songs that iv herd it noticeably example being https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... toerotique .. 50 - 1:10.... but iv noticed it in all songs is there any way to get rid of them ? or is it just how good can you mask them ? And what is the problem with the VSTi its self ? is it because all the osc. have the same starting point ?

i get into the upper harmonics of the sound C5 - C7 i will always notice a high pitch whistling sound that drives me insane
Flanging? Try free-running oscillators to get rid of this issue.

Another simple method is to layer more voices, of course with different detune. With dozens of them playing simulataneously, it is unlikely to many voices cancel in phase at a time.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Sounds like aliasing, but it would be a lot easier if you provided a sample of your own.

Return to “Sound Design”