What do you do with all these free loops?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Concerning loops,I prefer melodic or harmonic loops as it seems like a quick way to come up with ideas, i.e. break it down into notes and change what I don't like / to fit the track.

In terms of drum loops I might just throw them under a less interesting part of the arrangement to add a percussive twist.

Occasionally I'll break out the old school breaks and chop them up to use for a drum kit.

I've used freesound before and there's an option to find samples that require no attribution. Quality is hit or miss but you can find some interesting stuff to headline your tracks with.
:D

I haven't bothered with free loops since Acid was a Sonic Foundry product. It just ends up being about obsessive hoarding rather than creative inspiration. I find it far more rewarding to make my own loops. That's a broad statement, and I do use an occasional loop, but its a rare occurrence, and I don't bother collecting them.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I really had the hope to meet some crazy guys and gals here who are mangling everything they can get into their hands. I thought maybe they're using several boring free bass loops, take them into Hourglass or wherever, layer them, put some comb filters & effects onto it and make drones out of them or something like that... :o

But so far there aren't any spectacular suggestions... :(

I'm really thinking about deleting boring free loops to get more space on my hard disc for my own loops if they cannot be used to create something extraordinary.

If you have FL Studio, you can use Edison's Blur function to make something into a long textured sound.

camsr wrote:If you have FL Studio, you can use Edison's Blur function to make something into a long textured sound.
REAPER is the only DAW that I have (besides the free version of Mulab)... :shrug:

Well, you can get the demo and try it out of course :)

Since you love being drenched in delays, try loading drum loops as impulse response.. Some great noise to be had there. You don't have that, but the IR effect in Studio One is particularly good for that, since it can re-pitch the sounds as well..

And you have MUX, right? You can have this effect patch, it makes everything into a shaker sound, works great on random loops. Functions as a instrument too, on keys F3, G3 and A3.

Tricky-Loops wrote:I really had the hope to meet some crazy guys and gals here who are mangling everything they can get into their hands. I thought maybe they're using several boring free bass loops, take them into Hourglass or wherever, layer them, put some comb filters & effects onto it and make drones out of them or something like that... :o

But so far there aren't any spectacular suggestions... :(

I'm really thinking about deleting boring free loops to get more space on my hard disc for my own loops if they cannot be used to create something extraordinary.
Well, sure, you can turn your boring free loops into drones, but you could do that just as easily with your own sounds. There is no shortage of slicers, granular effects, extreme time and pitch shifters, spectral manipulators, waveshapers, filters, distortion, vocoders, you name it. But none of that really justifies hoarding free loops. If you want to make working with loops your thing, then do it, but unless you find that particularly rewarding, it seems like you're just looking for something to do with a pile of mediocre material just because its on your hard drive.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

ras.s wrote:And you have MUX, right? You can have this effect patch, it makes everything into a shaker sound, works great on random loops. Functions as a instrument too, on keys F3, G3 and A3.
Thanks for the patch. I couldn't get truly convincing shaker sounds with it but it makes a nice beer garden crowd ambience effect if used with vocal loops in the background... :party:

Tricky-Loops wrote:
camsr wrote:If you have FL Studio, you can use Edison's Blur function to make something into a long textured sound.
REAPER is the only DAW that I have (besides the free version of Mulab)... :shrug:
I wasn't aware of the Blur feature in FL Studio. Cool. Here's abother suggestion, and it's free: http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I usually slice my loops up an replay them. I almost never.. never rely on pre made loops for my music because it just doesn't gel with me. I've did it before when i was a kid at film school learning Sony Acid and it was fun, but at the end it didn't really feel like my own work.
:borg:

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
I wasn't aware of the Blur feature in FL Studio. Cool. Here's abother suggestion, and it's free: http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/
That one I already have since years. But Paul Stretch makes EXTREME stretching, I'm always afraid that my loops could be ripped up. :-o :shock: :o

Nowadays I'd prefer Hourglass by Xeniakos which can do much better sound mangling...

ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

I don't have REAKTOR, unfortunately, and I won' have enough money to buy it anytime soon... :(

Same applies to Kontakt, too expensive for me atm...

But I have MUX and the MeldaProduction Creative Bundle (and some other plugins). 8)

Well, I got Push yesterday and it totally changes perspective. Can just drop tons of loops and FX in session view and try them out live. Not sure when it leads me, but most certainly it's FUN!

Tip of the day: if you use samples, get some sampler with physical controls.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Production Techniques”