What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What Did I Do Wrong? (Zero Delay Filter Difference Equation)

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

skrasms
KVRist

324 posts since 1 Feb, 2005, from Portland

Postby skrasms; Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:35 pm What Did I Do Wrong? (Zero Delay Filter Difference Equation)

It’s been a long time since I’ve dealt with difference equations and the z-transform, but I wanted to brush up to help me understand zero delay filters and all their implications. Dealing just with a one-pole design (integrator with negative feedback), the Zavalishin book mentions that adding delay to the loop around a trapezoidal integrator would change the transfer function drastically compared to zero feedback. For practice, I wanted to try starting from the one-pole zero delay block diagram in the book and work backwards to difference equations and a transfer response.

I gave it a shot, but my resulting transfer function gives some bad looking shapes in Octave. I’ve been staring at my derivation for a while, but I haven’t been able to figure out where I went wrong. It seems suspicious to me that I ended up with a z^-2 term, but I can’t point to why that should not have happened.

Please let me know where I screwed up in the image below. I used R to represent the constant g/(1+g), and I made nodes for v and w. I used w instead of s just so I wouldn’t accidentally treat it like Laplace math.

Wolfen666
KVRian

628 posts since 11 Aug, 2004, from Marcoussis, France

Postby Wolfen666; Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:38 pm Re: What Did I Do Wrong? (Zero Delay Filter Difference Equation)

It seems suspicious to me that I ended up with a z^-2 term, but I can’t point to why that should not have happened.

It is not only suspicious, it is impossible to have a z^-2 if your filter is one pole only and if you have only one delay in the block diagram :wink:

Moreover, here is what I would have written :

Code: Select all
y[n] = w[n] + v[n]
w[n] = y[n-1] + v[n-1]
=> y[n] = y[n-1] + v[n-1] + v[n]

v[n] = R(x[n] - w[n])
=> v[n] = R(x[n] - y[n-1] - v[n-1])
v[n] (1 + R z^-1) = R(x[n] - y[n-1]) (here is the typo)
v[n] = R / (1 + R z^-1) . (x[n] - y[n-1])

y[n] = y[n-1] + v[n] + v[n-1]
y[n] = y[n-1] + R / (1 + R z^-1) . (x[n] - y[n-1] + x[n-1] - y[n-2])
(y[n] - y[n-1]) ( 1 + R z^-1) = R (x[n] - y[n-1] + x[n-1] - y[n-2])
y[n] + (2R - 1) y[n-1] + (-R+R) y[n-2] = R x[n] + R x[n-1]

H(z) = (R + R z^-1) / (1 + (2R-1) z^-1)

Not 100% sure about the results :D
skrasms
KVRist

324 posts since 1 Feb, 2005, from Portland

Postby skrasms; Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:01 pm Re: What Did I Do Wrong? (Zero Delay Filter Difference Equation)

Thank you for catching my typo and posting your work. It actually looks and acts like a 1-pole lowpass filter now. :)

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development