What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Eye problems?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

2596 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:42 pm Re: Eye problems?

Tricky-Loops wrote:
SODDI wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
SODDI wrote:visual migraines.

Holy shit! I've been getting that on and off since I was 18. It's absolutely bizarre. I've not hand one in a year I'd say, but jaysus I used to get them all the time.

It reminded me of a (jaggy) hair made up of a line of little triangles. I never knew it was call a scotoma or what it was. I was the same, I thought I was going blind, but it went away. As you say, lasts about 10 - 30 mins.

There can be food triggers - chocolate + coffee? 50% chance of a migraine for me.
As always, you forgot to mention tobacco as trigger...

(And no, that's not Preach-Me-Healthy-Magazine from the Vegan Club, it's a serious science news website!)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090624102257.htm

And here some good news about chocolate:

http://migraine.com/blog/good-news-about-chocolate-and-migraine

Preachy McLecturepants bloviates again! Pompously!
KVRAF

8852 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:46 pm Re: Eye problems?

SODDI wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
SODDI wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
SODDI wrote:visual migraines.

Holy shit! I've been getting that on and off since I was 18. It's absolutely bizarre. I've not hand one in a year I'd say, but jaysus I used to get them all the time.

It reminded me of a (jaggy) hair made up of a line of little triangles. I never knew it was call a scotoma or what it was. I was the same, I thought I was going blind, but it went away. As you say, lasts about 10 - 30 mins.

There can be food triggers - chocolate + coffee? 50% chance of a migraine for me.
As always, you forgot to mention tobacco as trigger...

(And no, that's not Preach-Me-Healthy-Magazine from the Vegan Club, it's a serious science news website!)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090624102257.htm

And here some good news about chocolate:

http://migraine.com/blog/good-news-about-chocolate-and-migraine

Preachy McLecturepants bloviates again! Pompously!
Keep in mind that all your hate can cause migraine, too...
Mr Entertainment

10445 posts since 29 Apr, 2002, from i might peeramid

Postby xoxos; Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:34 pm Re: Eye problems?

posted this, loads of times, of course, first rule of kvr: ignore dangerous radicals to be safe.

everyday, go outside, and look at something far away.

also, look at something close.

when doing either for extended periods, take a short break. if you cannot see anything far away, close your eyes and imagine something you saw far away.

what faculties you do not exercise will not be facile to access.

start now, you've been informed.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
KVRAF

Postby SODDI; Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:54 pm Re: Eye problems?

(snip) not right.

Plonk is the answer.
KVRist

171 posts since 20 Oct, 2012

Postby mhog; Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:27 pm Re: Eye problems?

Scotoma is not dangerous, but rather scary, because it's like a bad trip or smth. It comes out of nothing and the first ten minutes you feel like you are losing your sight, because things become "invisible". Not "black", as when people think of blindness... It is more like "I cannot grasp the objects I try to watch, they become invisible when trying to focus on them". Something horrible, if you don't know what it is... you feel like "shit, I'm f**ked now". Panic, expecially when outside, driving your car or such. Then that strange "blindness" perception goes away and you start to see a kind of "zig zag" coloured "flame", a sort of flashing sparkle in the corner of your eye (sometimes both eyes, but usually just one). It's because of the pressure on optical nerves (you can try pressing your closed eyes with fingers: you can see lights, colors etc.). The scotoma is a prodrome of a migraine attack (this is called "aura"), it usually comes 10-15 minutes before. This typology of migraine is called "oftalmoplegic". So, once you know the scotoma is not dangerous, when it comes feel "lucky" because you just have to take immediately some anti headache pills, wait and keep calm (in a dark and quiet room) in order to avoid/lighten the migraine attack.

Eye floaters are not dangerous, too. They are just annoying. It's like "wool hairs" inside your vision when you look at something bright (sky, snow, white walls, KVR board...). The "hairs" (floaters) actually are kind of "clots" inside your "eye gel" (so to speak). You cannot do anything to solve this, no remedy: so just learn to ignore them, even because usually the more years pass, the more floaters you will see.
KVRAF

13555 posts since 23 Jun, 2010, from north of London ON

Postby trimph1; Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:41 pm Re: Eye problems?

I'm so lucky that I only had detached retina for an issue...it solved a lot of dietary policing....:hihi:
Barry
The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran
http://www.ambientonline.org/
KVRAF

Postby SODDI; Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:57 pm Re: Eye problems?

A similar phenomenon that I have actually enjoyed for most of my life is what (I think) Timothy Leary called "watching the retinal sideshow". It's simply closing your eyes and looking at the patterns that are formed while the rods and cones of your retina fire in a semi-random fashion. I can just watch the colors and patterns, or sometimes watch images pop in and out of perception as your brain tries to pattern this visual input.

But you can't focus on anything - if you do it just melts away into visual noise. I have entertained my wife several nights describing what images are being patterned into existence behind my eyelids, many of them hilariously mundane. "It's a refrigerator with its door open. Now it's a pile of socks. Now it's the front seat of your car."

It helps me get to sleep sometimes.
KVRAF

6025 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:05 pm Re: Eye problems?

V0RT3X wrote:I imagine it had a lot to do with my history of fist fighting and blocking punches with my face :lol:

I'm still blocking fists with my face and my floaters actually bother me less now than 10 years ago. They're still there, my brain just tunes them out. My eyes burn like hell every time I drive away from my office and an eye doctor told me this is from staring at a monitor all day, which causes me to not blink enough. That doctor told me to use preservative-free eye drops and that's helped A LOT!
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
KVRian

952 posts since 9 Sep, 2010

Postby Robmobius; Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:33 am Re: Eye problems?

SODDI wrote:There can be food triggers - chocolate + coffee? 50% chance of a migraine for me.

I didn't think of that to be honest. I definitely drink far too much coffee. I’m lucky I don’t smoke at least. :)

mhog wrote:Scotoma is not dangerous, but rather scary, because it's like a bad trip or smth. It comes out of nothing and the first ten minutes you feel like you are losing your sight, because things become "invisible". .

I have to agree, it’s scared the shit out of me, but as the years went on it, it came and went. So, now I’m pretty used to it. You always get a little indicator that it’s doing to happen.
My gear review blog at the Industry Hotspot Website:

http://theindustryhotspot.com/profiles/ ... ailwz3fygg
KVRian

1025 posts since 6 May, 2005, from Michigan, USA

Postby Vectorman; Thu May 01, 2014 5:11 am Re: Eye problems?

I had an outbreak of central serous retinopathy in my right eye a few months ago. It's basically a buildup of fluid between the layers of the retina that causes a dome-shaped bump, resulting in visual distortions like the appearance of a semi-transparent dark disc in your visual field and straight lines/text looking wavy. Very scary when I first noticed it, since the symptoms can be somewhat similar to macular degeneration (I'm a tad young for that but it's not entirely unheard of in my age group). Fortunately, CSR usually resolves itself, as mine did, but outbreaks can leave mild visual distortions behind that may be permanent. I still have a bit of a difference in color tones in my right eye vs. my left.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic