gateway *Not really sure what genre*

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/v0rt3x8/gateway

It's kind of repetitive, but i'll probably revisit this and add more variation to the patterns. I want to add more drum pattern variations and fix the mix a bit so it's not so muddy.

As for the genre i just tagged it as industrial since i wasn't sure what to really call it.

Plugins
----------
TheDrop&TheGlue
Z3TA+2 (Eerie pad sound)
Ableton Bitcrusher, Erosion, Reverb, Chorus, Autopan, eq8, and more
2x Ableton Drum kits
Cypher (Synth Arp sound)
Aalto (Distorted FM sweep sound)
and a few other sounds.

If anyone is interested in how I made some of the sounds lemme know, i'll show you my signal chains and automation data if you want.
:borg:

Sounds quite cool :)
Reminds me of NIN!

A (Synth) choir sound could fit quite well in there!

Cheers
Dennis

Bronto Scorpio wrote:Sounds quite cool :)
Reminds me of NIN!

A (Synth) choir sound could fit quite well in there!

Cheers
Dennis
Hey thanks for the feedback! :)

Yah i realized how much the distorted sound reminds me of "Where is everybody" which is definitely a good song.

I was actually thinking about adding some kind of choir sound in their somewhere in the next version i make of this.

I like this one too. Good mood and sounds. The repetition doesn't bother me, though maybe it wants to be longer with some vocals?

Yeah, the mood is great. I love stuff like this. Agreed with the NIN evocation. In fact, about genres... When I started getting into NIN, I went along with it being called industrial, until I read people who were hard core industrial purists bashing Trent Reznor for being a poser/fake industrial. Reznor commented some where that he never once said that NIN was industrial. This began my hate affair with genre naming :hihi:

When I got into Stabbing Westward (poor lyricists, great sound) in their earlier days, I think it was clear they were taking what NIN had done, and trying to go in a similar path. NIN was itself inspired by other synth metal bands in the late 80s, but really struck a new mix of hard synth/guitar AND accessibility (traditional song structure and clear singing). Over the years I've heard a few similar sounding things, few I like anyway, and I've kinda decided NIN is like a genre to me... kinda like how Sunny Day Real Estate was unintentionally the cause of the "emo" genre (a much derided genre, based on a great first band).

Yesterday, I stumbled back on one of my favorite old CDROM game themes, The Iron Helix, by Xorcist. He used the tags "darkwave" and "gothic". I'm sure someone would disagree with that too if they're purist. Can't win, I think. Genres suck but we humans are all about the classification of stuff :-D

Anyway, keep making stuff like this, it's cool :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:I like this one too. Good mood and sounds. The repetition doesn't bother me, though maybe it wants to be longer with some vocals?

Yeah, the mood is great. I love stuff like this. Agreed with the NIN evocation. In fact, about genres... When I started getting into NIN, I went along with it being called industrial, until I read people who were hard core industrial purists bashing Trent Reznor for being a poser/fake industrial. Reznor commented some where that he never once said that NIN was industrial. This began my hate affair with genre naming :hihi:

When I got into Stabbing Westward (poor lyricists, great sound) in their earlier days, I think it was clear they were taking what NIN had done, and trying to go in a similar path. NIN was itself inspired by other synth metal bands in the late 80s, but really struck a new mix of hard synth/guitar AND accessibility (traditional song structure and clear singing). Over the years I've heard a few similar sounding things, few I like anyway, and I've kinda decided NIN is like a genre to me... kinda like how Sunny Day Real Estate was unintentionally the cause of the "emo" genre (a much derided genre, based on a great first band).

Yesterday, I stumbled back on one of my favorite old CDROM game themes, The Iron Helix, by Xorcist. He used the tags "darkwave" and "gothic". I'm sure someone would disagree with that too if they're purist. Can't win, I think. Genres suck but we humans are all about the classification of stuff :-D

Anyway, keep making stuff like this, it's cool :-)
Hey that was a good read, and also thanks for listening! Yah I read somewhere that Trent just wanted to do his own thing and it ended up getting called Industrial and he just kind of went with it.

Hot song! Def something I would put on while having kinky sex. Very short though...

JJ.

As usual, some great synth sounds and I really liked the drums on here. Well mixed too.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote:As usual, some great synth sounds and I really liked the drums on here. Well mixed too.

Good work :)
thx ! :)

Return to “Music Cafe”