What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

chk071
KVRAF

3263 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 am

Reaper.

:hihi:
cowby
KVRist

420 posts since 1 Feb, 2005

Postby cowby; Fri May 02, 2014 1:37 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

I am a bit surprise no one say about Zebra. Though I don't have one but I saw my friend did the programming and found it pretty CPU friendly.
~Pd~
KVRian

723 posts since 29 Jul, 2006

Postby ~Pd~; Fri May 02, 2014 3:21 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

Going from A to Z I'd say Absynth and Zebra. Both sound great, are super versatile and can do bread and butter patches that barely register on the CPU meter. Both are especially good for synthetic clav, organ and epiano sounds.

Synthmaster in draft mode can also be an impressive workhorse without pegging your CPU. Plus you have the option of bumping up the oversampling for those hi-def screechy EDM sounds you crazy kids love these days.

Reaktor is not widely seen as a low CPU solution, but many of the older ensembles sound great with very modest resource consumption. And you can bump up the sampling rate here too.

CPU friendly percussion - Geist is your best bet here.
Bronto Scorpio
KVRAF

5595 posts since 13 Feb, 2006, from Wiesmoor, Germany

Postby Bronto Scorpio; Fri May 02, 2014 3:29 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

FilterscapeVA is also very CPU friendly and is awesome!

Cheers
Dennis
U-o
KVRian

684 posts since 16 Nov, 2011

Postby U-o; Fri May 02, 2014 3:46 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

V-Station, ZebraCM, TripleCheese
FL Studio Producer Edition
+ Harmless, Harmor, TripleCheese, ZebraCM, Zebralette
+ FL Studio Native Plugin Effects, Glitch, Limiter No6, Luftikus
AstralExistence
KVRAF

1931 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Fri May 02, 2014 4:19 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

Prevalence wrote:In these days of Omnisphere and alike, I still find myself reaching for the CPU-friendly VST's on a regular basis.

Once I have, say, 3 instances of Omnisphere, Alchemy & Sylenth, and 6 instances of Stylus RMX, my Quad core 32 bit XP, PC is struggling for air.... :-o

So, for the additional synths thereafter i'm looking towards Albino, Sylenth, Blue etc...

So, i'm wondering what other CPU & RAM-friendly synths are worth considering? The best option would be a full-on Win 7 64bit machine, of course, with 12gb RAM.... but that will have to wait a year! :(

Best, Paul

3 instances of omnisphere gives you 24 tracks of instruments. if you were to put one type of sound on each out bass 01 a, bass 02 b, lead 01c, lead 02 d, lead 03 e, lead 04 f, pad 01 g, pad 02 h, with each out using two synth/sample layers you have all you need for a complete and solid track. then use the second instance of omnisphere for all your sweeteners like risers, swells, hits, etc etc theirs your finished track.

then automate things to give body and thickness. a song doesn't improve the more you add things to it. its just the opposite, songs are much harder to complete while maintaining some kind of organized simplicity.
stimresp
KVRian

869 posts since 1 Jul, 2008

Postby stimresp; Fri May 02, 2014 4:22 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

Oddity!
mcnoone
KVRAF

5362 posts since 8 Oct, 2007, from an inharmonious society

Postby mcnoone; Fri May 02, 2014 4:35 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

All Korg synths.
Synth1
Zebra (Depends on how much is used, but mostly very good on cpu)
Maomoondog
KVRist

298 posts since 16 Mar, 2014

Postby Maomoondog; Fri May 02, 2014 4:39 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

Synth-1, PPG Wave 2V, ImpOSCar, all of Elektrostudio's kit, all GTG synths, HaHaHaCS33v2, Kamioooka, SQ8L, Superwave P8, Native Instruments Pro52 and Tone2 Firebird.
Last edited by Maomoondog on Sat May 03, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
This worlds a divided place you know....Were awaiting you!
chk071
KVRAF

3263 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri May 02, 2014 4:43 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

Retrologue is also very low on CPU for what it does.
ariston
KVRAF

2842 posts since 28 Jun, 2009, from Wherever I lay my hat

Postby ariston; Fri May 02, 2014 5:41 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

"Track freeze". Unbelievably cpu friendly, and a great cure for tweakaritis and FOCS (fear-of-commitment syndrome).
Burillo
KVRAF

1707 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Fri May 02, 2014 5:43 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

i got a top of the line octacore so everything is CPU-friendly for me.

also,
Prevalence wrote:my Quad core 32 bit XP, PC is struggling for air....

i believe XP isn't that good at multiprocessing. so you'd probably be better off finally upgrading to something more recent.
From Russia with love
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

3966 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Fri May 02, 2014 8:39 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

Synplant is very low.
FM8 barely registers. I love seeing that CPU reading at 1% on a synth where I'm playing a pad!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
Kriminal
KVRAF

18822 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Fri May 02, 2014 8:42 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

Synapse Wasp 5
Bronto Scorpio
KVRAF

5595 posts since 13 Feb, 2006, from Wiesmoor, Germany

Postby Bronto Scorpio; Fri May 02, 2014 8:42 am Re: Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

I forgot to mention Surge! It sounds great, has great features and is very CPU friendly!

Cheers
Dennis
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments