Your Favourite CPU-Friendly VST's....?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reaper.

:hihi:

I am a bit surprise no one say about Zebra. Though I don't have one but I saw my friend did the programming and found it pretty CPU friendly.

Going from A to Z I'd say Absynth and Zebra. Both sound great, are super versatile and can do bread and butter patches that barely register on the CPU meter. Both are especially good for synthetic clav, organ and epiano sounds.

Synthmaster in draft mode can also be an impressive workhorse without pegging your CPU. Plus you have the option of bumping up the oversampling for those hi-def screechy EDM sounds you crazy kids love these days.

Reaktor is not widely seen as a low CPU solution, but many of the older ensembles sound great with very modest resource consumption. And you can bump up the sampling rate here too.

CPU friendly percussion - Geist is your best bet here.

FilterscapeVA is also very CPU friendly and is awesome!

Cheers
Dennis

V-Station, ZebraCM, TripleCheese
yzcoruhT

Prevalence wrote:In these days of Omnisphere and alike, I still find myself reaching for the CPU-friendly VST's on a regular basis.

Once I have, say, 3 instances of Omnisphere, Alchemy & Sylenth, and 6 instances of Stylus RMX, my Quad core 32 bit XP, PC is struggling for air.... :-o

So, for the additional synths thereafter i'm looking towards Albino, Sylenth, Blue etc...

So, i'm wondering what other CPU & RAM-friendly synths are worth considering? The best option would be a full-on Win 7 64bit machine, of course, with 12gb RAM.... but that will have to wait a year! :(

Best, Paul

3 instances of omnisphere gives you 24 tracks of instruments. if you were to put one type of sound on each out bass 01 a, bass 02 b, lead 01c, lead 02 d, lead 03 e, lead 04 f, pad 01 g, pad 02 h, with each out using two synth/sample layers you have all you need for a complete and solid track. then use the second instance of omnisphere for all your sweeteners like risers, swells, hits, etc etc theirs your finished track.

then automate things to give body and thickness. a song doesn't improve the more you add things to it. its just the opposite, songs are much harder to complete while maintaining some kind of organized simplicity.

Oddity!

All Korg synths.
Synth1
Zebra (Depends on how much is used, but mostly very good on cpu)

Synth-1, PPG Wave 2V, ImpOSCar, all of Elektrostudio's kit, all GTG synths, HaHaHaCS33v2, Kamioooka, SQ8L, Superwave P8, Native Instruments Pro52 and Tone2 Firebird.
Last edited by Maomoondog on Sat May 03, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retrologue is also very low on CPU for what it does.

"Track freeze". Unbelievably cpu friendly, and a great cure for tweakaritis and FOCS (fear-of-commitment syndrome).

i got a top of the line octacore so everything is CPU-friendly for me.

also,
Prevalence wrote:my Quad core 32 bit XP, PC is struggling for air....
i believe XP isn't that good at multiprocessing. so you'd probably be better off finally upgrading to something more recent.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Synplant is very low.
FM8 barely registers. I love seeing that CPU reading at 1% on a synth where I'm playing a pad!

Synapse Wasp 5

I forgot to mention Surge! It sounds great, has great features and is very CPU friendly!

Cheers
Dennis

Return to “Instruments”