A Town Called Darkness ( Goth / Post Punk / Metal )

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been a while. This is my first song that I have (mostly) completed from the new album that I'm working on. Its a straight ahead goth rock oriented track thats kinda late 80's / early 90's but with some more modern production and timbral choices.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/516 ... rkness.mp3

You can stream or you can download.

Please let me know regarding the mix and arrangement.

Thanx !

The songwriting is good but the instrumental is overpowering the vocals. With headphones I can't even understand the lyrics because the instrumental is too loud and the voice too low...

BTW, didn't you want to integrate some arabic instruments & percussion? You had a thread about it some months ago...

Thanks for the feedback. Do you mean the vocals in part 1 or part 2 ?
I might do another mix.

Yeah about the ethnic instruments, this happens to be the only song on the new album that does'nt have any. The others are in progress. You will get your wish :)

Pretty good goth tune but there are definitely some mix issues. The vox are hard to make out and often buried when the mix gets busy. Your voice and lyrics are good so I think you should feature them more.

The mix is weighted towards the low and mid-range frequencies. A better mix balance including high frequencies would help.

With respect to the song writing, I think it is essentially one riff going through two chords for four minutes. Variation is provided by piling on and removing guitars including some interesting soloing. I'm guessing this is not unusual for goth but I personally would have dug more chord changes to lessen the monotony.

Thank you for all your responses. I will do a major overhaul of the mix in light of the comments. And maybe include a coda.

I thought there were some timing issues apparent in the first 30 seconds between the guitars and the drums. It was in time, but just didn't seem to groove correctly. As the track progresses, things seem to sort themselves out. The mix could probably use a little work, but I think it's almost got an "authentic" period vibe about it. I loved the "reversed" guitar.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote:I thought there were some timing issues apparent in the first 30 seconds between the guitars and the drums. It was in time, but just didn't seem to groove correctly. As the track progresses, things seem to sort themselves out.
Yes, I also noticed this.

As an ex-goth I like your singing a lot :D
Tough I have to agree about the groove/mixing issues

Would you considere a collab with me?? (listen to my stuff in my sig and PM me if interested :))

seismic1 wrote:I thought there were some timing issues apparent in the first 30 seconds between the guitars and the drums. It was in time, but just didn't seem to groove correctly. As the track progresses, things seem to sort themselves out. The mix could probably use a little work, but I think it's almost got an "authentic" period vibe about it. I loved the "reversed" guitar.

Good work :)
That was intentional... The first part is played live on pads but i didnt edit / quantize it. I kept it to keep the slightly off kilter feel. The second half is programmed drums coz i cant play that :)

But others have commented on this so i might change it in the new mix.
Last edited by Burzukh_Studios on Mon May 05, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Totolitoto wrote:As an ex-goth I like your singing a lot :D
Tough I have to agree about the groove/mixing issues

Would you considere a collab with me?? (listen to my stuff in my sig and PM me if interested :))
Always up for collabs.

Pming u now.

When I first listened to it, I said, I like this but for Christ's sake where's the distortion!? THEN is came in which, I didn't expect. Yes!! :)

I really like this... It's dissonant which I love (great guitar tune). Vox are cool. Love the vibe of the guitar solo at the end.

Fair play! :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:When I first listened to it, I said, I like this but for Christ's sake where's the distortion!? THEN is came in which, I didn't expect. Yes!! :)

I really like this... It's dissonant which I love (great guitar tune). Vox are cool. Love the vibe of the guitar solo at the end.

Thank you kind sir . I love me some dissonance. Killing Joke is my true love.:)

muslimpunk wrote:
Robmobius wrote:When I first listened to it, I said, I like this but for Christ's sake where's the distortion!? THEN is came in which, I didn't expect. Yes!! :)

Thank you kind sir . I love me some dissonance. Killing Joke is my true love.:)
No worries... it's a seriously cool tune bro'. Great to see some stuff like it on KVR, as I think we are in the minority here. ;)

Man, I love Killing Joke!!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Music Cafe”