DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

Igro wrote:
fisherKing wrote:
dj-daniel wrote:How does Synapse Audio DUNE 2 compare with Reveal Sound Spire? They seem really similar for filling the role of an all-purpose virtual analogue synth that does wavetable and FM and RM synthesis.
very different plugins. spire is modern, sharp...abrasive (when i want it to be). i love it.
dune is warmer, rounder. deeper perhaps. i now own both, and will def USE both.
I disagree here. They sound is really similar, but Spire is a bit more metallic. Dune 2 also has bettera unison, more musical.

seriously; my engineer & i have been playing with dune for a couple of hours, and i stand by my comments. on REAL monitors 8) my description is accurate...

I use Spire and just compared it to Dune 2- waaaay different sound to my ears. Most softsynths have a unique sound all their own....which is why I own so many. For the last couple years everything I wrote which needed synth had either Omnisphere, Alchemy, Zebra, or Diva (or all), but in 2014 Spire, and now Dune 2 will be added to my "essentials" list.

ENV1 wrote:Well, i gave it a brief shot, and since i absolutely liked the sound of the synth i really, really, really hate having to report that i am getting the exact same spits/clicks that i reported getting with DUNE a year or so ago. The only difference is that this time the issue is no longer limited to the Square, now i am getting it with the Saw as well.

As you can see on the screenshot, the sound i dialled in for testing is about as simple as it gets, i.e. just a classic SynthBass, i.e. not involving anything overly complicated that could have thrown the whole thing off balance. Issue captured on this WAV.

That just sounds like the envelope opening too quickly to me.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

quantum7 wrote:I use Spire and just compared it to Dune 2- waaaay different sound to my ears. Most softsynths have a unique sound all their own....which is why I own so many. For the last couple years everything I wrote which needed synth had either Omnisphere, Alchemy, Zebra, or Diva (or all), but in 2014 Spire, and now Dune 2 will be added to my "essentials" list.
Exactly, Dune 2 has its own place sonically and some very neat tricks too. Best new synth this year by a mile :D
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Great to see this released. Sounding better than ever :cool: Congratulations!

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

I played around with the demo late last night and it was all good...

One question though...

Can DUNE 2 import wavetables ?

I really hope so...

It would be an oversight and a little unfortunate if it can't load user wavetables :(

EDIT : Richard tells me that they are working on the waveform import and this feature will really open up this synth to incredible possibilities...

They might also increase the polyphony,which will also help it along a little...

I think that DUNE 2 is one of the best soft synths out there.....

It's versatile,easy to program,sounds great and it's not a CPU hog either...

What more do we really need ? :wink:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Sun May 04, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

Just tried the demo, sounds pretty good, I prefer the sound to Diva's. And it uses so little CPU to achieve that, amazing :o That is Synthedit level according to my meters :) Actually, what is excellent is how the load is evenly distributed across all cores of my CPU, thus no spikes.

Preset 20 is interesting, you can do half a song with one instance :D
33 sounds very cool.

I wish there were a few more classic patches, and an init patch. The GUI is also very nice and ergonomic, perfect for my old eyes :)

This will be a very successful synth.

Sendy wrote:That just sounds like the envelope opening too quickly to me.
No, its not just that.

If it were, the issue would be quickly fixed by dialling in some Amp Attack, as is the case with many other synths.

In this case though you would have to set the Amp Attack to ridiculously high levels to get rid of the problem, i.e. way higher than you could still make a Bass with.

Something else is going on, and im suspecting that it has to do with the waveform triggerage.

There indeed seems to be something wrong with short attack times...

PS: As I was playing around I found that the spitting attack sound may have to do with filter decay times set too short.

I just compared Dune to another synth by setting all ADSR values to zero, except amount and level, which along with cutoff frequency I set to max. There you can hear the spitting sound in all its glory :D On my other synth there is hardly anything to be heard.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat May 03, 2014 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Richard_Synapse wrote:
pdxindy wrote:creative design, good sound... a sweet sound design playground!

Is there some way to save/load unison layers? Since the unison engine basically lets you layer presets, seems like an obvious option. How about saving and loading osc's and mseg's?
You can copy/paste layers, FX busses and MSEGs between presets and furthermore between instances, so I think you should be able to combine just about anything you like (unless I'm missing something).

Richard
Oh yes... between instances works just fine!

One weird thing: The LFOs can have their start phase modified in the matrix, but there's not a knob for it? That's a really weird design choice, in my opinion, especially when there's so much room on the GUI for an extra knob. Ideally the oscillators would also have a dedicated phase knob.

Also, is there any way to add more colours to the GUI colour selection? I'm missing a deep blue :)

I'm really liking the sound of the filter FM.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Sendy wrote:With Oscillator Density set to max, Unison set to max, Audio Rate Modulation set to max (with an LFO modulating the filter at maximum frequency) and Multicore switched off, a four note chord reaches 70% CPU usage.

With Multithreading on, it goes down to 20%.

I don't like how the Modulation Rate setting defaults to lowest quality. I'd rather be able to choose to have it reset to the fastest, and lower it when I need to.

Flicking through the demo presets and playing big chords, I'm getting less than 5%, even at max quality. Pretty impressive.
Ha... you must have a faster machine than me... I had a unison of 3 and audio rate mod to max and cpu was crushed with a 4 note chord...
It's a quad core (and overclocked, too), and my buffer is 2048 samples. When I hit a key it sounds instant, but anything I record live typically has to be shifted a bit to line up with the rest of the music. I figured it was a fair trade-off for extra CPU power :)
Yeah, faster machine and my buffer is set to 128 or 256 depending on what I'm doing... :)

Sendy wrote:One weird thing: The LFOs can have their start phase modified in the matrix, but there's not a knob for it? That's a really weird design choice, in my opinion, especially when there's so much room on the GUI for an extra knob. Ideally the oscillators would also have a dedicated phase knob.

Also, is there any way to add more colours to the GUI colour selection? I'm missing a deep blue :)

I'm really liking the sound of the filter FM.
Yeah, plenty of room for the LFO phase knob... in fact the LFO looks a little lonely without it ;-)

I'm liking it quite a bit so far... It definitely Has it's own sound. Great usability too!

I told myself that there wasn't much point in having any more soft synths, but I'm really leaning towards the upgrade. :)

Lots of new options in there. I'm also really liking some of the distortions on the filters. Great arp as well. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Guess i now can post a little demo i did with Dune 2 during beta. This is for OLD FART's like me, so expect something 80's like ;)

Everything playing is Dune 2 incl. drums etc...

http://www.xsynth.com/demos/d2_test_A_mk.mp3

/Michael
www.xsynth.com - Sound Synthesis with Vintage flavour

Return to “Instruments”