The 10 Most Technically Amazing Beatles Songs

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rather interesting gimmick to persuade folk for the Abbey Road lectures in this week-end - unfortunately I'm not able to participate.
Beatles-in-the-studio expert Brian Kehew ranks their works in terms of their groundbreaking sonic innovations (see A.R. Studio April News).
Kehew is a co-writer of one of the best nice studio production guide ever written,
Recording the Beatles. What interesting in this "ad", is that 8 of the 10 "most technically amazing" Beatles songs are, according to Kehew, Lennon songs, only 1 of 10 is Macca's. Harrison's Blue Jay Way is also included.
"Technically amazing" is of course relative and popularisation, but shows perhaps Lennon's affinity in "changing" things, including his voice - and George Martin's
willingness (and skills!) to serve the musician he so much loved and admired.
Harry

Well, just to say, it's a little more complicated than just John being the "out there" one...there's a recording of him complaining with some irritation that it's always his tunes that get the "experimental" treatments...and then of course he also said he wasn't happy with any of the AR stuff and would have liked to record all of his over again...I couldn't quite tell from your post title if "technically amazing" meant *musically* technically amazing or that they did some technically cool thing after it was written, but I see it is the latter...well, their joint hunger for new harmonic combinations and different ways of attacking the same musical problems would be another great lecture series. Still...cool stuff!

Cheers!

The Beatles started off with a bang off their sweeter stuff but I often wonder what their music would sound like in the latter years without George Martin being the 5th Beatle.

What other work did Martin do with other bands?

Also, look at Coursera for a free online dBeatles course they offer for free. I started it but couldn't stay with it due to scheduling reasons...but it was nice and info rich while it lasted.
John
"B4serenity"

SongMonkey wrote:Well, just to say, it's a little more complicated than just John being the "out there" one...there's a recording of him complaining with some irritation that it's always his tunes that get the "experimental" treatments...and then of course he also said he wasn't happy with any of the AR stuff and would have liked to record all of his over again...I couldn't quite tell from your post title if "technically amazing" meant *musically* technically amazing or that they did some technically cool thing after it was written, but I see it is the latter...well, their joint hunger for new harmonic combinations and different ways of attacking the same musical problems would be another great lecture series. Still...cool stuff!

Cheers!
Agree, as said, this ranking (http://www.mojo4music.com/14018/10-most ... les-songs/) is more or less gimmick or entertaining. My list would be partially different. But what is interesting, the guy who made this ranking is a real expert in the studio technology - perhaps he wasn´t thinking that much musically. H.

Absolutely agree. I think Recording the Beatles is one of the most fascinating and well-designed books about the technical side and history of recording that I've ever read.

And, as I should have said in my first post, thanks for the heads up about the lecture. :tu:

Cheers.

b4serenity wrote:The Beatles started off with a bang off their sweeter stuff but I often wonder what their music would sound like in the latter years without George Martin being the 5th Beatle.

What other work did Martin do with other bands?
Agree on GM - how he made each song have it's own identity is what I admire the most. Stunning producer without who Beatles would no excel.

lfm wrote:
Agree on GM - how he made each song have it's own identity is what I admire the most. Stunning producer without who Beatles would no excel.
I think George Martin is owed his due, but also believe his engineers deserve just as much credit for their ideas in
trying out different things.

SongMonkey wrote:Absolutely agree. I think Recording the Beatles is one of the most fascinating and well-designed books about the technical side and history of recording that I've ever read.

And, as I should have said in my first post, thanks for the heads up about the lecture. :tu:

Cheers.
They did some innovative and fascinating stuff.

Truly a high point in the history of music production.

Return to “Production Techniques”