camels alchemy player

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

help please .! . i have 20 or so cm magazine vst,s installed. .with fxb banks . .all whas well. .then installed alchemy player . .all ok . .then had trouble accessing presets on a few vsts . .checking out the plugins folder. l notice alchemy had changed the file associations of every vst i had. . . ie . .all my synth presets had been changed to open with alchemy player . .picture of a camel on every bank...worried . i uninstalled alchemy . an the wretched thing also took away every soundbank on the pc . .arghhh ...all the vst instruments are still there . hate to have to re-install them all . why did this happen... any help . ideas welcome . .thanks . .'in despair"

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your trouble with Alchemy Player, but this is the first time I've heard of such problems. Our installer will not automatically associate itself with any other file type except ".CamelSounds" which we use to install content.

It sounds like you've accidentally associated our installer with .fxp or .fxb files, which might happen if you selected "Open with ..." in your browser or somewhere in Windows, and choose our installer.

Not sure how to fix it, we need more info about what happened in the first place.

Your other preset files should not have been deleted, btw - I have no idea how that could happen with the Alchemy Player installer.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

thanks for reply .bit of a beginer in this field .but installed all vsts as instructed . all work well . alchemy sounded good . .not sure of way out of this . banks deleted . .too many items with the same name .i fear..windows wont allow folders with same name. .i noticed most soundfile folders are just named "bank". . so when i have . .say 5 vsts . .each with a folder called 'bank' . .i suspect that on each install . every 'bank' folder has been overwriting another bank folder. . does not explain why my trance drive , dune . and other presets had the icon changed . and set to open with alchemy . .even 3rdparty banks i downloaded had changed

We don't use VST bank files (*.fxb), and there is nothing in the set of installed Alchemy files named "bank".
The data for Alchemy is installed to a separate user folder, which is hidden by default. You can access it via the Start Menu:

All programs > Camel Audio > Alchemy > Alchemy Data

This keeps all Alchemy files (except the plugin DLL) separate from other plugins.

Where are you looking for the plugin bank files? What are the file names and extensions? (right-click, select properties to view this information).

Peace,
Andy.

keep banks in vst folder . .actually looking for a fault in my system . .all software seems ok in its self . .whats giving me a clue . is when i installed vlc media player last year . .it changed the file associations on my music files. . .so they would not play on windows media player . .i did not ask it to do this. .not clicked any settings anywhere... so i might re-install plugins folder from scratch. . .its a mystery at the moment . .jus remembered . .had this before.. .few yrs back . .adobe pdf reader . .after installing . .that changed the fxb files as well . .did re-install windows since . . clean scans on malware this week . .am at a loss here .cannot point finger of blame anywhere at moment . .hence this post . .alchemy itself is not responsable for this . .could be corruption in vst folder or something clashing . . will check this posr in a few days .see if anything comes up . thanks

How did you open the Alchemy Player installer?

Did you double-click any other files?

Did you see the Windows dialog "Open with ..."? (where you can browser for a specific application to open a file with)

What about your browser? Which one are you using (Firefox? Chrome?). Both browsers include options to always open files with a specific application. Did you try opening any files from your browser? Was a dialog displayed asking you to choose an application?

Sorry for all the questions, but it will help us figure out where the problem started and how to prevent it happening again in the future.

Peace,
Andy.

quick update....using firefox..no plugins..no open withs..installed as directions from computer music magazine...have been checking net forums..this problem is common with types of media software..many changing file associations by there default..though the option to change fxb files has not been mentioned.will look into what you have said..answer could well be there..so reluctant to re..install before i find out a bit more....thanks..

Return to “Instruments”