IK Black 76, White 2A, EQP-1A, Vintage 670 alternatives?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For Pultec emulations you can try the commercial PSP Audioware NobleQ and the free Ignite Amps PTEq-1a. I quite like them both.

It seems that Stillwell Rocket doesn't work very well on Sonar X1. GUI doesn't open every time, it just stays grey. :shrug:

So I guess I have to look for another 1776 style plugin to replace IK Black 76.
"I keep pressing the space bar, but I’m still on Earth."

btw MCAudioLab EQ1 is kinda pultec-style. i know, no demo, kind of unsupported, but it's still a great EQ.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

J4R1O wrote:It seems that Stillwell Rocket doesn't work very well on Sonar X1. GUI doesn't open every time, it just stays grey. :shrug:

If you're not opposed to iLok's there's the Softube FET Compressor, which I think is still on sale.

I know you are looking for alternatives, and I did see your reasoning, but I still feel that if you are satisfied with how these T-RackS units sound (plus you will still have T-RackS installed) I don't understand not adding those a la carte via Custom Shop as that is one of the strengths of Custom Shop itself? Plus, in the T-RackS BOGO you would be able to get them at a good deal. Not intruding or raining on your parade, I am curious as your answer will be helpful data to me (and IK) regardless. Thanks!

J4R1O wrote:It seems that Stillwell Rocket doesn't work very well on Sonar X1. GUI doesn't open every time, it just stays grey. :shrug:

Consider the DCAM Dynamics bundle. For what a single plugin costs from other vendors, you get a nicely done take on the 1176, the SSL 4000 buss compressor (with a few more options than the originals had), plus one more compressor and a better-than-average transient manipulator.

Also, do look at NI's VC-2A. They've added a sidechain input to it, and the 2A's smooth release curve makes it a great ducking compressor for atmospheres, reverbs, delays, and the like.

Also, I'm a big fan of Nomad Factory's PulseTec. Their plug includes not only the 5A eq, but also the preamp that can add a nice bit of warmth. I got it as part of the ISP when they were having that insane promo, and it's pretty much become the go-to 1a for me.

Stillwell plugins are all getting updated with 64-bit mac support and, presumably, some fixes. They're in closed second beta right now, apparently. http://www.stillwellaudio.com/forums/vi ... 4985#p4985 Then again, he's been promissing that update for years (deja vu?)

Burillo wrote:btw MCAudioLab EQ1 is kinda pultec-style. i know, no demo, kind of unsupported, but it's still a great EQ.
Its clone of Pultec clone but different sounding it beats uad revision pultec by a mile and any other !

e@rs wrote:For Pultec emulations you can try the commercial PSP Audioware NobleQ and the free Ignite Amps PTEq-1a. I quite like them both.
NobleQ sounds different from TRacks EQP-1A to my ears. Both are good, but I find NobleQ to be denser sounding. Though they are both Pultecs, I dont find NobleQ a direct replacement for Racks EQP-1A.
I can't comment on Ignite Amps PTEq-1a, maybe I should try it again, but it didn't hit me when I tried it way back.

These are my considerations, however I don't use Pultecs often...

Ok,

No I've demoed NI Vintage Compressors, CLA Classic Compressors and JJP Analog Legends - which I just purchased. Also purchased Cakewalk CA-2A (uprgraded from ProChannel Module).

As much as I love NI Premium Tube Series, I didn't like Vintage Compressors at all. They were OK (especially VC 160 sounded nice), but something was missing. Compared to CLA-2A, well, CLA was a winner, hands down. Cakewalk CA-2A is also ok. And yes, that HFP knob is a must have. IK should add it to their module IMO.

Also compared IK Black 76, CLA-76 and VC 76. VC 76 was a huge disappointment, no character and I couldn't get that nice 76 pumping, only bad sounding distortion. IK and Waves were almost identical. If CLA Classic Compressors were on sale right now, I'm pretty sure that I'd bought them.

And I tried that Ignite Amps version of Pultec... well, not as good as IK or Waves. Btw, PuigTec module(s) sounded really good. Better than IK version. Nice round bottom but with clarity.

So, still looking for that 76. Softube FET is too expensive for my current plug-in budget. Maybe I should wait for that Slate version...

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I know you are looking for alternatives, and I did see your reasoning, but I still feel that if you are satisfied with how these T-RackS units sound (plus you will still have T-RackS installed) I don't understand not adding those a la carte via Custom Shop as that is one of the strengths of Custom Shop itself? Plus, in the T-RackS BOGO you would be able to get them at a good deal. Not intruding or raining on your parade, I am curious as your answer will be helpful data to me (and IK) regardless. Thanks!
Hi, Peter!

Yes, if I [manage to] sell my T-RackS Grand licence, I'm pretty sure that I purchase the Soft Clipper later. :)

Found good alternatives to replace Model 670 and EQP-1A, but yeah, I still like Black and White (that HFP knob, please!).

IK should rethink their whole concept of Custom Shop. They should give a valid licence/serial number for the modules purchased via Custom Shop by using the credits.

Let me sound like a broken record: one of my first T-RackS modules I purchased from CS (by using CS credits) was Quad Image and about one week later I purchased the Grand UPG to get Black and White, AND I also got the whole Quad Series, including that same Quad Image module I had purchased a week earlier. My bad, but if I had a separate licence for that Quad Image module I purchased earlier, I could've sell it. And now if I'd like to sell Bus Compressor, well, I can't because it's integrated to my T-RackS CS (not selling, but just thinking).
Last edited by J4R1O on Sat May 03, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We are certainly reviewing the transfer process, and I'll keep everybody here alerted to any changes that come.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:We are certainly reviewing the transfer process, and I'll keep everybody here alerted to any changes that come.
:tu:

I bought vintage compressors on sale and TBH mostly because of the dbx160. I too don't feel the 1176 is that special. The LA2A is fine but nothing mind blowing. Crap, now I want to sell my license :x :hihi:

Return to “Effects”