IK Black 76, White 2A, EQP-1A, Vintage 670 alternatives?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Waves and UAD have some nice versions of those SAME vintage hardware tools.
I have tried most of them from all three developers and they are all excellent but different.

I have also owned the real hardware versions of the Pultecs, both the blue face and silver versions.

As expected, they are superior to the software versions. :wink:

Well pooty for you

:P

On a serious note, I'd love to hear the real deal. I'z a digital cat.

I own all the IK, NI, and Nomad Factory compressors.

Nomad Factory LM-662 (Fairchild 670) is really nice.

NI/Softtube Enhanced EQ (Pulse Tec) is my favorite of the Pulse Tecs.

My favorite 1176 is Rocket.

My favorite SSL bus comp is The Glue, with the IK bus comp coming in at 2nd.

The IK Precision Comp (Neve) is really good too.

For white 2A There is also the free ThrillseekerLA
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:Nomad Factory LM-662 (Fairchild 670) is really nice.
I demoed it, OverTone FC60 and Waves PuigChild and my choice was Waves. I don't know but there's something about Nomad Factory plug-ins I don't like (GUI perhaps, but Pulse-Tec looks really nice). OverTone sounded flat and lifeless compared to IK and Waves.
pheeleep wrote:NI/Softtube Enhanced EQ (Pulse Tec) is my favorite of the Pulse Tecs.
I have the NI Premium Tube Series bundle but Enhanced EQ is a little bit different than "classic" Pultec plug-in and I want my Pultec plug-in to be the "classic" (PuigTec). 8)
pheeleep wrote:My favorite 1176 is Rocket.
I tried it and I liked it (a lot) BUT it made Sonar really unstable (crashes, memory leak, weird GUI bugs) so I uninstalled it. Shame. :-?
pheeleep wrote:My favorite SSL bus comp is The Glue, with the IK bus comp coming in at 2nd.
I demoed The Glue a long time ago but my choice was IK Bus Compressor.
pheeleep wrote:The IK Precision Comp (Neve) is really good too.
It's ok but I already have Waves V-Comp.
pheeleep wrote:For white 2A There is also the free ThrillseekerLA
32-bit :(
"I keep pressing the space bar, but I’m still on Earth."

What platform/OS are you on? If you're in Pro Tools, or on a mac, check out McDSP's 6030 Ultimate Compressor. It's on sale for about $80 right now, and has ten different models, including 670, LA-2a, 1176, 33609, etc. Great plug!
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

hibidy wrote:I bought vintage compressors on sale and TBH mostly because of the dbx160. I too don't feel the 1176 is that special. The LA2A is fine but nothing mind blowing. Crap, now I want to sell my license :x :hihi:
VC 2A is ok, but yeah, not "mind blowing". VC 76 sucks. Have to play with that VC 160 more... Even I loved all of them it's still too expensive bundle for my current plug-in budget.

So, I'm still looking replacements for IK 76 and 2A. Cakewalk's CA-2A was a slight disappointment, but it was only 19 euros, so no big tears. CLA Classic Compressors sound cool - wish they were on sale. Softube FET and TLA-100A sounded ok, but had just too many options (knobs to tweak). I like it simple! :D

I guess my choice will be Waves CLA Classic Compressors or/and Slate VMR (2015?).

Something I just found...

http://www.attackmagazine.com/features/ ... -hardware/

Model Behaviour: LA-2A Emulations vs Hardware

"Kush Audio’s Gregory Scott uses new LA-2A compressor emulations from Universal Audio and Cakewalk as the starting point for a discussion of modelling, emulation and the use of vintage studio hardware for dance music production."

"The ‘dark horse’ contender here. The CA-2A is a very useful tool, but I’d have to respectfully say that of all the things it’s not, it’s not an LA-2A. You can clearly hear that the attack is fast, fast enough that it reminds me of typical plugin comps that behave like classic VCA comps (SSL and DBX being the most ubiquitous). It makes the drums sound ‘spanked’ and aggressively punchy… this is a very cool sound, but it’s not an LA-2A, and tests on various other sources confirmed that it’s simply a fast-ish limiter with a nice punch."

Like I said CA-2A sounds ok, but... it's just not LA-2A emulation - and even I can hear it! :D

"...it’s simply a fast-ish limiter with a nice punch."

IK, Waves, Softube and Native Instrument 2A's VU meter needles were smooth. Cakewalk's VU meter needle was doing that crazy ass karate chopping and the sound was - like Greg said - punchy and aggressive.

If I had some extra money I would buy UAD card and their plug-ins. I've heard them and yes, they are good, just can't afford them.

I think I'm gonna purchase CLA Classic Compressors. They sound nice.

Hey, Waves! Any sales coming soon? :wink:
Last edited by J4R1O on Mon May 05, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J4R1O wrote:If I had some extra money I would buy UAD card and their plug-ins. I've heard them and yes, they are good, just can't afford them.

If it's emulations of vintage gear you're after, nobody beats UAD, IMHO. Their updated 1176, LA-2A, Pultec, and Fairchild emus define the state of the art. Pricey, yes, but if you want the best ...

In the meantime, Waves are having new promos literally every week now. Those CLAs are bound to be offered at some point. Don't forget the KVR Market, too. :)

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

pheeleep wrote:I own all the IK, NI, and Nomad Factory compressors.

Nomad Factory LM-662 (Fairchild 670) is really nice.

NI/Softtube Enhanced EQ (Pulse Tec) is my favorite of the Pulse Tecs.

My favorite 1176 is Rocket.

My favorite SSL bus comp is The Glue, with the IK bus comp coming in at 2nd.

The IK Precision Comp (Neve) is really good too.

For white 2A There is also the free ThrillseekerLA

Nomad Factory stuff seems under-rated and are good and affordable tools.

PatchAdamz wrote:Nomad Factory stuff seems under-rated and are good and affordable tools.
Pulse-Tec ($129) sounded ok and GUI looks great, but I got Waves JJP Analog Legends bundle for $100.

Eddie TX wrote:
J4R1O wrote:If I had some extra money I would buy UAD card and their plug-ins. I've heard them and yes, they are good, just can't afford them.

If it's emulations of vintage gear you're after, nobody beats UAD, IMHO. Their updated 1176, LA-2A, Pultec, and Fairchild emus define the state of the art. Pricey, yes, but if you want the best ...

In the meantime, Waves are having new promos literally every week now. Those CLAs are bound to be offered at some point. Don't forget the KVR Market, too. :)

Cheers,
Eddie
I dont agree completely with the nobody beats Uad Sknote actually do it i have the uads as well!But thats not most important i think great times things getting better and better !Also i think its not only matter of opinions but mostly about taste as well!

Eddie TX wrote:If it's emulations of vintage gear you're after, nobody beats UAD, IMHO. Their updated 1176, LA-2A, Pultec, and Fairchild emus define the state of the art. Pricey, yes, but if you want the best ...

I've demoed Waves CLA Classic Compressors bundle and I like it. Now I just have to sell my T-RackS Grand licence (or swap/trade it for CLA Classic Compressors). :arrow: KVR Market... :wink:

But yeah, I think I've found all those alternative plug-ins I was looking for and they're all Waves. If I had more money to spend on plug-ins (+ hardware), then my choice would be UAD.

J4R1O wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:Nomad Factory stuff seems under-rated and are good and affordable tools.
Pulse-Tec ($129) sounded ok and GUI looks great, but I got Waves JJP Analog Legends bundle for $100.
Ive got most of the Waves emulations including the JJP Analog Legends.
It ends up on a lot of tracks.
I like the 670 emulation particularly.

$100 is a great price for the bundle.

Return to “Effects”