What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Blake's 7

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

19823 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:07 am Re: Blakes 7

That would be interesting, but I think it would need someone at the helm who understood what made it so good. Far too often someone with read the premise of a show then try to make it with 'improvements' and thus create something entirely different.

Avon was certainly one of a kind at the time (in Sci-Fi anyway). Doesn't Paul Darrow own the rights to it or something like that? I'm pretty sure I remember him planning on a new series that didn't get off the ground. (Will Google that a bit later).
KVRAF

1654 posts since 5 Oct, 2005

Postby Acid Mitch; Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:18 am Re: Blakes 7

I've just started watching blakes 7 on YT.

It's interesting how they've done that thing where the clothing look's ancient rather than futuristic.
KVRAF

1654 posts since 5 Oct, 2005

Postby Acid Mitch; Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:29 am Re: Blakes 7

And the guns remind me of splurge guns from Bugsy Malone.
KVRAF

1898 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:34 am Re: Blakes 7

Yes, I'm a fan. Great show.

Someone mentioned the season 4 story Orbit... Yeah, stunning episode for both characters Avon and Villa. I had missed seeing that one on the original run back in the day, so it was stunning to me to see it on my recent series play through. The actor playing Villa... seeing him huddled in terror crying... way more powerful than you'd expect from "low budget" scifi. Avon had an interesting arc through the series. He started out almost (almost) cowardly in a way. He wanted nothing to do with anyone. Four years later, he's a stone cold killer, but with a developed back story showing where his soul went.

I watched the show as a kid, and the budget never bothered me. As an adult, it still doesn't bother me much at all. I noticed no hair dryers as guns, by the way. Some sets were pretty good too, like the main set of the Liberator.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
KVRAF

7529 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:09 am Re: Blakes 7

Acid Mitch wrote:And the guns remind me of splurge guns from Bugsy Malone.

Do you think they shared the same storage/costume room?

Bugsy Malone was made in 1976, and the filming for Blakes 7 must have started at least as early as 77 as the first episode aired january 78
Ready to pounce
KVRAF

4584 posts since 13 Jan, 2003, from Kent, UK

Postby GaryG; Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:22 am Re: Blakes 7

Jace-BeOS wrote:Some sets were pretty good too, like the main set of the Liberator.

I did think while I was rewatching it how noticeable it was when they finally set foot aboard the Liberator, was a real "that's where the budget went" kind of moment. :)

I think there are rumours of another reboot attempt, syfy?
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
Boss Lovin' DR

3554 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from the grimness of yorkshire

Postby donkey tugger; Thu May 01, 2014 11:27 am Re: Blakes 7

Was it not 'Blake's 7'. Grr...

Err, anyway, this is excellent;

http://thewifeandblake.com/

Even better if you've read the Doctor Who one first.

I love Sue from that Blog. In a slightly different way than I used to 'love' Servelan.

I do remember watching a film round my mate's house with his Dad in attendace. Jacquliene (sp?) Pearce had a minor role but gave a 'brief and tasteful' flash of her breasts whilst in a bath. My mate's dad exclaimed (rather exuberantly I thought), "Blimey, Serveran's got her tits out".
KVRAF

19823 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Thu May 01, 2014 1:16 pm Re: Blakes 7

donkey tugger wrote:...gave a 'brief and tasteful' flash of her breasts...

In my head I heard that spoken in Peter Cook's voice... :hihi:
KVRian

1273 posts since 13 Jun, 2008, from Napier,New Zealand

Postby an-electric-heart; Fri May 02, 2014 9:44 pm Re: Blakes 7

I didn't realize Blakes 7 was that old? I'm 32 and remember loving it when I was 5 or so, I thought it was an 80's show... I can't remember much though, all I remember was that Blake had curly hair and went missing towards the start, then Avon become the leader, then at the end Blake came back and screwed them over, then they all got killed... the end.
addled muppet weed

34207 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Fri May 02, 2014 9:50 pm Re: Blakes 7

brian blessed.
need i say more?
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Sat May 03, 2014 2:34 am Re: Blakes 7

Bit late for the warning, but...

SPOILERS!!

an-electric-heart wrote:...all I remember was that Blake had curly hair and went missing towards the start, then Avon become the leader, then at the end Blake came back and screwed them over, then they all got killed... the end.

He didn't screw them. It was a tragedy of miscommunication and assumptions. Also, the actor didn't want to do the show ever again.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
KVRian

1273 posts since 13 Jun, 2008, from Napier,New Zealand

Postby an-electric-heart; Sat May 03, 2014 6:37 pm Re: Blakes 7

Jace-BeOS wrote:Bit late for the warning, but...

SPOILERS!!

an-electric-heart wrote:...all I remember was that Blake had curly hair and went missing towards the start, then Avon become the leader, then at the end Blake came back and screwed them over, then they all got killed... the end.

He didn't screw them. It was a tragedy of miscommunication and assumptions. Also, the actor didn't want to do the show ever again.

Oh sorry, I thought we were reminiscing, I didn't realize people were still watching it.
"Screwing them" was how I remember it, I can't remember any details.
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Sun May 04, 2014 4:43 am Re: Blakes 7

Guess you'll just have to watch it again :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
KVRAF

8367 posts since 11 Apr, 2003, from now on the flat

Postby duncanparsons; Sun May 04, 2014 4:45 pm Re: Blakes 7

now here's a thing.. in 1980, the mother of my mother's second husband (I could say step-grandmother, but that would not be correct here) was friends with the ladies who did the costumes for B7. My brother and I were made a pair of tailored denim jeans by them.

I think we half hoped for something a bit space-age, but they were fairly standard jeans. In fact, if memory serves (and with the benefit of a better knowledge of the period's fashions) I'd say the style of the jeans was more in line with 1975 than 1980.

I hadn't thought about that for about 2 decades! thank you for starting this thread :-)
KVRAF

Postby Jace-BeOS; Mon May 05, 2014 3:44 am Re: Blakes 7

The funny thing about [some] mid to late 70s scifi is how the costume and set designs used the "bleeding edge" of what was hip then to suggest the look of the future. Like they had no sense of design or practicality in mind, just trends. They gave us flared pants, silly "modern" furniture, brutalist architecture (easy to do as sets because there's no decor or curves at all), and blinky light computers [and fast food style colors]. That's like if today's scifi decided everyone (including professionals in offices) are going to be fully pierced and tattooed all over their faces in 40 years and have stupid google glass things all over their faces 24/7... and everyone will have permanent duck face.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic