FXpansion Etch

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Etch

What do you guys think about this filter? worth getting? Anyone played around with it and compared it to Soundtoys Filterfreak?

It's ridiculous how much I love the filters in DCAM Synthsquad and Geist. I suppose this is the same filter used as there!

Hand down for FXpansion, always making amazing products, there's some special era over that company. They always win!
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GHz Intel Core i7 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD + 500GB Toshiba internal HDD | AMD RAdeon HD 6490M 256MB | Apogee Duet | Ableton Live 9 | MAC OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.3

Well Etch is a huge CPU cost, so if you use it, it would be for an important lead or some big part of the track. I stick Filterfreak on a lot of my tracks, so Etch wouldn't ever be able to do that.

Well, unless you have a nice fancy computer.

I'm demoing it now, it's about 3% CPU on a tune I'm working on (with a year old iMac) so it's not that bad.

Sounds great, nice easy mod features, nice comb filter, if I were richer I'd definitely get it.

JD Gaffe wrote:Well Etch is a huge CPU cost, so if you use it, it would be for an important lead or some big part of the track. I stick Filterfreak on a lot of my tracks, so Etch wouldn't ever be able to do that.

oh it is? then I might use sonalksis TBK or something just for the easy stuff such as LP, HP, BP normal stuff and Etch for those filter special effects.

I got Filterfreak too, but I really don't like it, I like the filter itself, but it's GUI is not convincing to me.

For some reason just for the filter, I don't like the GUI, but I like it for echoboy and those other plugins such as Panman decapitator etc.
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GHz Intel Core i7 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD + 500GB Toshiba internal HDD | AMD RAdeon HD 6490M 256MB | Apogee Duet | Ableton Live 9 | MAC OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.3

An alternative use for Etch. I had been looking for a plug that would emulate the effect my UA 610 Solo DI has on hardware synths here. (It perceivably bodies up a thin sound, adds really nice rich harmonic overtones) Etch really surprised me with how well it excels at this. With no filter implemented, add just a touch of distortion add a smidge of compression within Etch and voila. For me, Etch used this way outperforms many dedicated tube / distortion emulators. Before for this purpose I was using Camel Crusher, Studio Devil's Tube Line Leveler, various Bootsie plugs, and a few others with less than satisfactory results.

Hey Leonardus

I use Etch like this too sometimes. Single Mault SE also excels at thickening up synth parts so give it a try if you can. :)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

You should also check Cytomic's The Drop.
Probably the most analog sounding multi filter and also used, as described above, for beefing up your signals if you disable the filters. The Dev contributed to the coding of Etch but The Drop's filter algos are superior.
He builds a physical implementation of the filter in some cases and then models the components.
Version 1 should will be out soon and will include an extensive audio rate modulation system
Amazon: why not use an alternative

JD Gaffe wrote:Well Etch is a huge CPU cost.
Only a hog if oversampling is on. I Use it fine of a 7 year old iMac.

I prefer Cytomic the drop when i want more realism in my filter sweeps. However when i owned Etch i found myself using it quite a bit as a sort of swiss army knife mixing tool.

Since it has compressor, filter and distortion modules in it with a really great automation system you can do all sorts of great things with it.

I think you should demo it to see if it will fit your needs.

The only thing i didn't really like is the comb filter.
:borg:

makes a good channel strip...

dave

dave dove wrote:makes a good channel strip...

dave
Actually i was wondering about that myself.

I never used it like that but i thought often how easy it was to just load up etch and use it more as a mixing tool along side my other mixing tools.

It would be awesome if Fxpansion decided to update etch so it could do multi-band processing similar to how maul does.
:borg:

Etch is great but needs a little more love from Fxpansion....I find it can be a little buggy - esp. with side-chaining options.
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

V0RT3X wrote:I prefer Cytomic the drop when i want more realism in my filter sweeps. However when i owned Etch i found myself using it quite a bit as a sort of swiss army knife mixing tool.

Since it has compressor, filter and distortion modules in it with a really great automation system you can do all sorts of great things with it.

I think you should demo it to see if it will fit your needs.

The only thing i didn't really like is the comb filter.
I'd agree that the filter is pretty flexible, a few different options. It's great for general filtering. Never seems to be the 'magic' sauce, or buckets of character, but lovely and squelchy, certainly great for anything that isn't a main part.

I do like the modulations though... not a lot of other filters have as many options that close to hand.

For the $20 audio midi offer price, it really was a bargain.

edit: just came across this, which has great examples of modulations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72pgPiYmD4

Yea, funny I was in the thread complaining about the price but then picked it up in the no-brainer. Lucky me.

Etch is fantastic, love it. And I still think the comb rocks, wonderful for subtle changes and more d'n'b style gnarliness too.

Thanks for your suggestions. The Drop is on my short list but I'm very happy with Etch. Isn't Maul SE's magic embedded inside Etch's distortion module? One would think..

Return to “Effects”