How does Martin Garrix come up with his melodies?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Doug1978 wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
to the op : just keep listening to music: all types of music. definitely take in as much non-edm as you can. listen to classical music, classic movie soundtracks, songs from great songwriters.

also, go at it from another angle. find soloists whose single, solo, melodic performances invoke a sense of a complete accompaniment. then try to do the same (no need to be an accomplished musician; whistling in the shower will do)

If you want any kind of edge within a traditionally cut 'n' paste, drag 'n' drop genre, then you need to start listen to everything
Good advice el-bo, but completely falling on a WUM troll's ears.

@ Barry - indeed :hihi: (and see you in the next one!)
:)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Perhaps the comments are too negative. Judging only by that interview video which ghettosynth kindly posted-- Bless his heart the young man is a blindingly fast typist, lightning with a mouse, and capable of explaining his creative process at least as succinctly as Miles Davis ever managed! :)

JCJR wrote:Bless his heart the young man is a blindingly fast typist, lightning with a mouse
Makes me think of a Pet Shop Boys lyric:

Young offender
what's your defence?
You're younger than me, obviously

Is that fire in your eyes or the glow of machines?
Watch how your fingers burn over the keys
so sure what you do
I haven't a clue

where's the 14 years old musician when you need him? :dog:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:where's the 14 years old musician when you need him? :dog:
re-mastering Beatles' records on earbuds and iPad, making sure that kicks sound as punchy as metronome clicks, since for them there's no distinction between kick drum and metronome click, both sound the same on iPhone speaker while hanging around in Walmart.
Soundbanks for Serum, Bazille, Diva, lush-101, Zebra2, Monark... Here

Return to “Production Techniques”