Poll: what do YOU want us to make for the developer challenge?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

What kind of freebie NanoMod would you like?

Snares
4%
Hats
6%
8-Bit Synths
28%
Sync Lead
4%
PWM sounds
13%
FM tones
26%
Fish. Fresh Fish.
19%

Total votes: 47

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks :)

We were thinking of putting together a freebie Kontakt NanoMod, or just possibly something a bit more ambitious, for the KVR developers' challenge, and right now we've got a number of interesting bits and pieces lying around the lab desperate to be sampled. Mongo's brainstorm idea was to let you guys be our guide. (Obviously, this is why I don't let him out alone.)

Look, we mocked up a graphic and everything!
NanoMod.jpg
The whole NanoMod idea, in case you're new to it, is to use clever scripting to yield thousands of possible tones from a simple interface, but to be quite specific about what tones we're trying to get (so we've got one for bass, one for kick drums, one for pads, etc etc). They all feature randomised patch creation and "intelligent" control sets. You can see the existing ones here to get an idea of what they do: http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/page0/page59/index.html

We've done five of them now and they're fun to make (and, we hope, to play with), so this feels like a good candidate for the Challenge! The question really is what direction to take.

The options we have seem to be, more or less, the following – based entirely on what machines are cluttering up the floor:

1 ) Snare Drums (from analogue and low-bit-depth sources)
2 ) Hi Hats (ditto)
3 ) 8-Bit synths (synth waves from Ensoniq and Emulator machines – crunchy!)
4 ) Some kind of Sync Lead style NanoMod (maybe blending analogue and digital sync sounds)
5 ) A PWM-based NanoMod (good for pads, probably)
6 ) Something FM-y (we could break out the DX7)
7 ) Or suggest something we've not thought of. Who knows, maybe we'll be bothered.
8 ) Erm...
9 ) That's it.

Let us know what you fancy in a small, free, NanoMod-styled package, and we'll see what we can run up for ya 8)

Happy music making!

The Professor (and Mongo)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For me, 8-bit synths would be good. I have an Ensoniq Mirage and I think it's would be cool to have a NanoMod made out of it.

SampleScience wrote:For me, 8-bit synths would be good. I have an Ensoniq Mirage and I think it's would be cool to have a NanoMod made out of it.
I'm kinda hoping the 8-bit option wins out too :D We've currently got a Mirage, an EPS and an SQ80, and just love 'em to bits. There's something about that grainy aliasy sound running through Curtis filters that feels vintage but still really current...

If you look at the winners for the KVR DC it is always effects that win.

So rather than to make an instrument in Kontakt, how about looking at making some kind of FX mangler that could be used in Kontakt?

Numanoid wrote:If you look at the winners for the KVR DC it is always effects that win.

So rather than to make an instrument in Kontakt, how about looking at making some kind of FX mangler that could be used in Kontakt?
It's a neat idea, but frustratingly you can't run external audio into and out of Kontakt (and thereby use it like an in-line effects processor). So you'd be limited to some kind of "empty box" that users could fill with their samples, and then mangle, I guess. (HollowSun already make something along those lines though I think its mangling possibilities are limited – it's intended more for folk who want a ready-rolled "container" for their own samples. It's a really neat idea and I wish I'd thought of it! :lol: )

So it's probably going to be an instrument of some kind. And hey, we're not in it to win, just to have fun and give away free stuff :D

the professor wrote:So it's probably going to be an instrument of some kind. And hey, we're not in it to win, just to have fun and give away free stuff :D
Sounds good to me, I voted for the PWM one :)

FM seems to be out in front as of now, which is a bit of a surprise. Guess we still like those shiny shiny sounds!

...and not much love for the drums. Is it possible everyone has enough drums? Finally? :lol:

the professor wrote:Mongo's brainstorm idea was to let you guys be our guide. (Obviously, this is why I don't let him out alone.)
:lol: ..have i already said that i love your sense of humour? i buy sometimes stuff from you just because i had a good laugh while reading your advert.. ..just to let you know! ahh.. of course it's also topnotch no question.. :tu:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
the professor wrote:Mongo's brainstorm idea was to let you guys be our guide. (Obviously, this is why I don't let him out alone.)
:lol: ..have i already said that i love your sense of humour? i buy sometimes stuff from you just because i had a good laugh while reading your advert.. ..just to let you know! ahh.. of course it's also topnotch no question.. :tu:
:D Given the number of votes for "fresh fish", you can see my point! :lol:

Quick update:

Since the two drum-based options (Snares and Hats) are scoring lowest, please ignore them in the poll from now on. We'll release them commercially instead (though £3 isn't all that commercial!) and concentrate here on the current high-scoring options: PWM, FM and 8-bit. (And fish, apparently.)

So let us know which of those three (four?) you're interested in, and we'll sort you out :wink:

Did the stabs from Chaka Khan's 'I Feel For You' come from the DX7? If so, that would be nice to do...

Was a toss-up between 8-bit, pwm & sync lead for me.

Went for pwm in the end. Hopefully you'll get round to doing them all so...all's well that smells swell!
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:Was a toss-up between 8-bit, pwm & sync lead for me.

Went for pwm in the end. Hopefully you'll get round to doing them all so...all's well that smells swell!
We'll certainly be doing them all in due course! It's just that, in a weird inversion of usual commercial logic, we're going to make the most popular one the freebie :ud:

In fact, the Snares version is pretty much finished, so expect to see that coming out in the next week or so :tu:

the professor wrote:We'll certainly be doing them all in due course! It's just that, in a weird inversion of usual commercial logic, we're going to make the most popular one the freebie :ud:
No complaints here! :)
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”