One-Synth-Challenge 63: VOPM (Ended)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VOPM

H-man wrote:Thou shall not 9:18! :x

lolz ...just kidding :hihi: looking forward to listening. :hug:

Yeah, I kow it's long - would be about 5.5mins if all the movements were at 120 bpm! But, my composer says they have to be at the right tempo ;-)

Anyways, just think of it as three 3 minute pieces by different people - sort of means you have a couple more tracks (!!) to listen to ...

Hope you enjoy - as usual, SC transcoding does foul up some of the dynamics - so if you can bear the download, it should be worth it :-)

Don't forget to comment on the movements (and sections within them) that you like (or dislike). Some unusual stuff going on in Hades!

Rob

Nah I'm just yanking yer chain Doc. :hihi:

My first OSC was nearly nine minutes, most people don't mind, especially if it's interesting and not just nine or more minutes of chaotic randomness ....and even that is within the rules :ud:

As a self-imposed rule I don't listen to the other entries until I have an entry in myself but I'll be sure to check it out around the end of the month.

That's OK - chain pull ack'd! I was a bit surprised how long it did render to, but you have to respect the wishes of the composer - one section was 76 bpm (not 78, not 75, but 76!!!). Getting reasonable sounds out of this synth other than your usual ringing, bell like things a la DX-7 is a bit painful. Even a half decent string, especially with a bowing effect is quite hard. I got there with the contrabass, but once you move that up in frequency to accommodate the viola and violins, then it's not so good. One section does sound like nicely bowed violins though - I'll leave you to find that later on in the month - hope you like what you hear. Look forward to your comments!

This one is definitely not your 9 minutes of randomness! A lot of hard work here - and she's a fast worker once the ideas get going. A bit filmic I guess - partly my influence there (used to hang around with John Barry's daughter! - ohhh, what a good name drop)

Cheers H-man,

Rob

bjporter wrote:
artao wrote:Another question re: allowed effects.
What about doublers? I'm guessing yes, since that can be achieved with multiple instances of an instrument, and while many of them can modulate the sound (esp. pitch shifting) they don't have to.
Thanks
Doublers, negative captain
Okay, fair nuf ... But I hafta ask, why not? :ud:

bjporter wrote:Ok, updated re-skinned VOPMex here:

MAC: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/220 ... ajskin.zip
Windows 32&64bit DLLs: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/220 ... isk%29.rar
Trying the windows 32-bit version, I don't get the jansinsky skin :(

urlwolf wrote:
bjporter wrote:Ok, updated re-skinned VOPMex here:

MAC: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/220 ... ajskin.zip
Windows 32&64bit DLLs: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/220 ... isk%29.rar
Trying the windows 32-bit version, I don't get the jansinsky skin :(
Me either

I found that trying to use VOPMex after using the original VOPM was a PITA! I copied and renamed the presets file saved by REAPER (it was happy to use VOPMex.ini). But, very odd things happened, load a VOPM preset into VOPMex, and then try loading a different one and I seemed to get a sound which could not be altered in any way :-(

So, in the end I just carried on with VOPM. I did sometimes get a REAPER crash, but the odd thing was that after restarting REPEAR and loading the very same project file, all was hunky-dory and no more crashes. Strange ... never has this happen with any other VSTi etc etc ...

Cheers,

Rob

artao wrote:
bjporter wrote:
artao wrote:What about doublers?
Doublers, negative captain
Okay, fair nuf ... But I hafta ask, why not? :ud:
Doublers work by modulating the signal slightly on either side. Modulation effects are not allowed.

urlwolf wrote:Trying the windows 32-bit version, I don't get the jansinsky skin :(
artao wrote:Me either
You guys sure you got the right plugs? Make sure you download from the links on the OSC page. I'm sure the original (non-ex) version worked properly for win-32. It literally has the image resource replaced in the DLL. If you're not getting the skin, you're not using the right version. Or maybe you have the non-Jasinski version somewhere getting picked up on your VST path.

doctorbob wrote:... I did sometimes get a REAPER crash ... never has this happen with any other VSTi etc etc ...
You must not use DAWs that much. :-P

https://soundcloud.com/dzah/preview1-dz ... rmonic2-01

Only a preview..

Idk if I did this right though

z.prime wrote:
urlwolf wrote:Trying the windows 32-bit version, I don't get the jansinsky skin :(
artao wrote:Me either
You guys sure you got the right plugs? Make sure you download from the links on the OSC page. I'm sure the original (non-ex) version worked properly for win-32. It literally has the image resource replaced in the DLL. If you're not getting the skin, you're not using the right version. Or maybe you have the non-Jasinski version somewhere getting picked up on your VST path.
Absolutely 100% positive. I even re-downloaded just to be sure. The file is: VOPMex 32bit and 64bit Jasinski Skin (Use at your own risk).rar
It contains two files: VOPMex.dll and VOPMex64.dll
I've only got a 32-bit OS here, so I deleted the 64-bit version. I've put VOPMex.dll in a separate folder from the original VOPM. The original VOPM I am indeed using the Jasinski skin, and it works correctly.
The VOPMex file I downloaded however has the original skin. ... Not a big deal really as it doesn't affect useability. But as the file is labeled to BE the Jasinski skin, the creator should be aware that it is, indeed, not the Jasinski skin. :)

AHHHH!!! Glad I tried this and discovered this error before the voting starts.
I went to the OSC voting site: https://www.onesynthchallenge.org/
I tried to make an account and get this error: "Error creating Account - make sure Email, username are filled out, and passwords match; Username or email may have been used as well!"
I know everything is correct. Is someone else already using my username "artao"? Is my e-mail being rejected? (this has happened to me before)
Please help!! :o :cry:

artao wrote:I went to the OSC voting site:...
It's unclear what will be used for the voting (the last round was done with Google forms), so don't stress out about getting an account created. If you need one after the month, we'll make sure you get set up.

z.prime wrote:
doctorbob wrote:... I did sometimes get a REAPER crash ... never has this happen with any other VSTi etc etc ...
You must not use DAWs that much. :-P
Been through a few in my time - probably more hours on boards than DAW, but then, I go back to the 60's !! 8)

OK, so REAPER has crashed a few times on me, but, as always, down to a rogue VST - but lately my workflow has meant that I have been using a stable set of VST's and VSTi's, so have had as near as dammit no crashes, so the few times VOPM took me down I was a little disappointed - but, that said, no problems as I save regularly, and have autosave setup for frequent saves. REAPER to me has been the most stable I have used to date.

I just need to get the best set of tools for OSC organised as just about all the ones I use on a regular basis would not be allowed, bar Rea* and a few others.

Cheers z.prime, appreciate the sentiment :-)

Hope you likey the track ... look forward to hearing what you can squeeze out of VOPM - so will you keep away from Yamaha DX-* type sounds????

Cheers,

Rob

Return to “Instruments”