Finally: Venom VB-303 v1.00

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BlackWinny wrote:Why eternally those who don't like a product don't simply pass their way?
Because the plugin itself is great. Only the fake midi play is needless.

He could charge money for the plugin, even if there is no 64-bit-version.

But not with this venomous (hence the program name) attitude.

Venom is free. You have never paid a cent. He does what he wants. Nobody is constraint to anything. Even to stay at criticize. Having never paid... you can search for another product, nobody obligates you to keep on this one.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Mon May 12, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

antto wrote:the sonogram app is available btw
thanks antto. :)

Wildfunk wrote:
antto wrote:the sonogram app is available btw
Thanks for ignoring the user wishes (working midi play).
there won't be a next version of the plugin
i haven't developed it any further since the v1.00 release, and after all the hate i received - i won't
so it is "as-is"

you don't like it - okay, move on, don't look back here, there won't be anything new for you here
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote:there won't be a next version of the plugin i haven't developed it any further since the v1.00 release, and after all the hate i received - i won't
so it is "as-is"
Which "hate"?

Nobody complained about the gui, the sound or your coding skills in general.

But it's the first time that a developer built in a malicious bug intentionally (and is surprised by the reactions).

I'm sure the MidiPlay was working well until you got the idea with the senseless puzzle midi code.

It just ruined your work.

:dog:

i think i've explained it before
during the developement process, it was more convenient to let the x0xb0x play patterns and have vb303 play the same notes, and the easiest way to do this was to implement midiplay mode in vb303
then i could concentrate on comparing and calibrating the synth engine
i was going to remove midiplay mode at the end, but <someone> convinced me to leave it there
i knew that if i leave it - nearly zero people would ever care to check out the internal sequencer
so, in the last minute, i decided to add something that makes it a bit annoying to use midiplay mode, and to leave it there

Wildfunk: i'm not saying you're the one who hates, but i received such words from people, that i cannot explain otherwise
i guess you haven't read the whole thread

anyway.. this whole project left a bad taste in my mouth at the end

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

@If you deliberately try to fool people around, some will hate you. There's no way to work around such trouble; trust me. I think you have to offer your apologies to these people, however, that is up to you. My 2c.

antto wrote:i knew that if i leave it - nearly zero people would ever care to check out the internal sequencer
I know the internal sequencer is an important part of the original 303 sound and you've invested a lot of time to perfect it.

But many people (including me) are playing around with midi first and after they got a "melody" they finally program it into the sequencer.

So your fear is baseless. Even the new TB-3 accepts midi notes ;)

Think about it, it's not too late! ;) Even if some haters moan about 32-bit-only, SynthEdit, ...

so i should apologise..
i didn't try to fool people around, those who were aware of the developement already knew that the plugin is all about the internal sequencer, they also knew that it's gonna be hard to deal with it, because of the midi<->button mapping thing
i'm pretty sure that i've never promised to put a midiplay function (unless my memory has gone bad)

Wildfunk: i know, that nearly every 303 clone has such midiplay mode, even my x0xb0x has it
i can think of only 3 things that *don't* have such external sequencing mode:
1) the original
2) rebirth
3) vb303 - it's there but annoyingly locked

i have a theory, that rebirth sounds convincing enough to most people, because they've never had the chance to hear how it sounds when externally sequenced
those same people would try every other 303 clone via external sequencing (in a piano-roll) and make the conclusion that they don't sound convincing enough
But many people (including me) are playing around with midi first and after they got a "melody" they finally program it into the sequencer.
so, if you had a TB-303 - what would you do then?
1) get it MIDIfied
2) sell it and get another 303 clone which has midi already
3) change the way you "play around"

okay, this is not very likely, the TB-303 is expensive and rare
but if you had ReBirth, how do you make music there?
you cannot "play around" with midi there

i'm not saying that vb303 is as easy to use as rebirth, hell no
i am well aware that vb303 requires a bit too much from the normal user, even from experienced TB-303 users/owners

but i don't take this external sequencing argument, sorry
Think about it, it's not too late! ;) Even if some haters moan about 32-bit-only, SynthEdit, ...
i don't think anyone moaned about it being 32bit
they all hated me because they couldn't unlock midiplay mode, and that it keeps locking itself again on project reload and/or on transport-play/stop
i've thought about it enough. and i'm getting sick of explaining and arguing
just use something else

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote:you cannot "play around" with midi there
but i don't take this external sequencing argument, sorry
I'm talking about TB-3, ABL2, Phoscyon, ... all with external seq options.
antto wrote:they all hated me because they couldn't unlock midiplay mode, and that it keeps locking itself again on project reload and/or on transport-play/stop
Easy things that you could fix. But you don't want to.
antto wrote:i've thought about it enough. and i'm getting sick of explaining and arguing. just use something else
There were 2 solutions: Remove the midiplay completely or make it work! But you've kept the midiplay and wasted time with adding the annoying/buggy locking.

There is no need for explaining and arguing. It's like putting a lollipop in front of a child and telling him "hands off... eat salad instead".

Antto...thank you. I've wanted something similar to rebirth for a long time now , but because rebirth isn't a vst . its impractical for me , so I very excitedly downloaded Venom , only to discover I can barely see it.
I managed to get the patterns playing after some trial and error , but its so tiny that I can't make anything out.
I know that you released this as an unfinished kinda beta version , so i'm asking if , in your updates , you could make it twice the size , because I really want to use it , but currently cannot. Thanks

2NDMOUSE: there won't be any updates, and even if there were - the size of the GUI wouldn't be doubled, because that's a huge pain.. sorry
this isn't a beta version, the beta versions were from 2009 and were completely different

there's not much to see on the GUI
perhaps check the manual to get an idea how it works

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto's a legend.
Keep up the great work fella :tu:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Thanks for putting this out there Antto. I recently migrated back to PC so, I can get in on this and enjoy a little 303 goodness while I (very slowly) build my x0xb0x. I appreciate this and all your contributions to the 303 community. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”