Liking Cubase 7.5 more every day. Fewer reasons to use ANY 3rd party products...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

spaceman wrote: I really can't see the connection.

Me not feeling good in Logic anymore and me stating that Logic has top instruments, effect and content do not mutually exclude. My gripes are with UI issues (most likely OSX related), not with Logic content.
Your choice if you want to see it that way, but don't be surprised if someone looks at a post saying "Logic's a great DAW" and wonders why the same user has claimed to jump ship over to Studio One instead according to another thread.

Gamma-UT wrote:
spaceman wrote: I really can't see the connection.

Me not feeling good in Logic anymore and me stating that Logic has top instruments, effect and content do not mutually exclude. My gripes are with UI issues (most likely OSX related), not with Logic content.
Your choice if you want to see it that way, but don't be surprised if someone looks at a post saying "Logic's a great DAW" and wonders why the same user has claimed to jump ship over to Studio One instead according to another thread.
Because, objectively speaking, it's a great DAW.
The fact that I'm having some issues with it lately doesn't change that.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I used to be a Logic user, but when Apple abandoned the PowerPC processors and went Intel, a new Mac was out of the question, so I ended up moving over to Cubase on the PC. I still doubt that I use more than 10% of the application, but the included tools and instruments have improved in leaps and bounds in recent years.

That said, to my mind there still aren't equivalents to some of the instruments included in Logic. Unless I'm mistaken, there's nothing like EXS24 or Ultrabeat, is there? My understanding of Halion Sonic SE is that it is only a playback instrument.

BERFAB wrote:Wondering what others think.
I think leaving Cubase at v 6.0 was a good decision and Live's integration with its stock instruments and FX is seminal. I might come back to Cubase for some orchestral work, but most of the time it suffocates any spark of my creativity.
And I rarely use any 3rd party plug-ins in Live.

andrew71 wrote:That said, to my mind there still aren't equivalents to some of the instruments included in Logic. Unless I'm mistaken, there's nothing like EXS24 or Ultrabeat, is there? My understanding of Halion Sonic SE is that it is only a playback instrument.
And Sculpture. Don't forget Sculpture.

That's right, HS SE2 is just playback – that's probably the Achilles heel of Cubase's built-in stuff as there's no engine for user samples without upgrading to Halion (unless you count Padshop). However, I found the instruments in HS SE2 to be pretty good and I found them to be more instantly usable than the readymade Logic sample-based instruments when first trying Cubase 7.5.

I'm currently using Live Intro and haven't upgraded to Logic X. I still have Logic 9. I never really tried to work with the arrange view but after using it for awhile and the ability to pop up a floating session to test stuff on the fly – I've sort of rethought the whole deal to the point I can go either way at this point. May go with the full Live when it's on sale…

:idea:

The basic package of Steinberg Cubase is very good, but imo you really should add the Halion 5 instrument. Not only for the sampling and overall functionality, but also for it's next generation GUI and integration with the DAW.
Total cost brings it up to 800/900 euro/dollars.
That is not cheap and better be good. :)

Even with Halion 5 i still go to 3th party for high quality natural instruments most of the time. In comparison with East West, Vienna and a lot of other samplemakers the Steinberg package is not up to the task of being compared with them. But adding those to the package would bring it up to 2000 euro/dollars or more i guess.

It is a constant struggle of being happy with what you own iguess...
but cubase is indeed back into the competition as a complete production environment to start with.

holdebolder wrote:The basic package of Steinberg Cubase is very good, but imo you really should add the Halion 5 instrument. Not only for the sampling and overall functionality, but also for it's next generation GUI and integration with the DAW.
Total cost brings it up to 800/900 euro/dollars.
That is not cheap and better be good. :)

Even with Halion 5 i still go to 3th party for high quality natural instruments most of the time. In comparison with East West, Vienna and a lot of other samplemakers the Steinberg package is not up to the task of being compared with them. But adding those to the package would bring it up to 2000 euro/dollars or more i guess.

It is a constant struggle of being happy with what you own iguess...
but cubase is indeed back into the competition as a complete production environment to start with.
It really has been Cubase's Achilles' heel that it doesn't have a proper sampler. Most other DAWs do have this. Though, I must say that Groove Agent SE4 really does step up very nicely for beat and phrase samples. But a traditional sampler would be excellent.

I've been debating whether or not to upgrade from HS2 to Halion 5 for awhile now. I hesitate for two reasons: 1.) My understanding is that there's really no difference in content than with HS2, and Halion 5.
2.) I have Kontakt and a ton of Kontakt libraries - so I'm not sure what that would leave Halion 5 to do.

But you're correct. I do like the workflow of HS2 with Cubase, and Halion would be the logical extension of it. Next time I'm feeling generous toward myself, I'll pull the trigger.
Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I'm still on 6.5 and although the included plugins are now very good I still reach for my 3rd party arsenal for a lot of things. Including :-

Sylenth - Retrologue is good, but doesn't come close to doing 'that' sound.
Omnisphere - Nuff said
ProQ - It's just a workflow thing, it's so fast and intuitive.
H-Delay - It's just so rubbery :D

I returned to Cubase 7 after i had Sonar X1/2 . The included plugins like Retrologue or Padshop are OK, but can't keep up with Sylenth1 and Omnisphere. Halion5 is pretty nice. Instead of a very stripped down HalionSonic2 Se i think Steinberg could give the Users a full HalionSonic2 , maybe on a limited offer in summer . The groove Agent Se is quite nice.

I have Cubase 7.5. I liked Cubase a lot until I tried S1. Now I cannot use Cubase anymore. Still a great software but with a much worse workflow than S1.

I don't understand the Steinberg policy of adding toys at every update instead of focusing on the workflow. Why to invest time/resources on plugins which are usually worse than 3rd party alternatives? Tons of synths and no bounce in place. Tons of plugins and still not possible to re-arrange tracks in the mixer. etc...

dr4kan wrote:I have Cubase 7.5. I liked Cubase a lot until I tried S1. Now I cannot use Cubase anymore. Still a great software but with a much worse workflow than S1.

I don't understand the Steinberg policy of adding toys at every update instead of focusing on the workflow. Why to invest time/resources on plugins which are usually worse than 3rd party alternatives? Tons of synths and no bounce in place. Tons of plugins and still not possible to re-arrange tracks in the mixer. etc...
5 Minutes in Cubase and the open windows mess makes me want to punch someone or something.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Don't punch the dongle or you'll be in all sorts of bother. :hihi:

I've recently switched to Cubase 7.5 - and I'm impressed with the included processing FX like REVelation and the transient shaper/envelope right in the mix console. Padshop really surprised me - some of the presets sound great to my ears and I'm looking forward to digging into it. As for the windows scattered everywhere - I thought I would be super annoyed by it when I demoed it but I've been playing around with the workspaces feature which I find to be a nice way to work.

absolutely.. cubase can be used entirely ITB these days. Same with Logic and Reason, and possibly Sonar. I mean to do a total production including all factory virtual instruments and fx from start to finish.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”