please suggest me a mic for vocals

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
please suggest me a good mic for vocals.
how is sm58 ?

THX!

Hi,

What's your budget? Where will you use it (stage, homestudio...)? Does your audio interface provide phantom power to use a condensor mic?

I mainly record instruments, so don't take my advice as the last word.

The SM58 is certainly a very usable, robust mic with great value for the money. If your interface provides phantom power and you're recording at home or in a studio, I'd also try a large diaphragm condensor mic. I have a Studio Projects B1 which I think sounds great and is in a similar budget range as an SM58. If you can spend more, the new Rode NT1 looks sexy and seems to perform well. Alternatively check out the older NT1-A.

But there are soooo many options it there and much, much more money to spend if you have the budget...

Regards,
Andre

Yup, SM58 is solid and great for live use, but if you don't need to perform live and can do phantom power then a condenser is the way to go.

The Audio-Technica line is pretty good bang for the buck. Right now Sweetwater has a bundle of the AT2035 large-diameter condenser and ATH-M40 headphones on sale for $135. In fact, I may go for that myself...

I've been using a Shure PG27 for vocals recently. Nice clear, crisp sound ... good for guitars too.

http://www.shure.co.uk/products/microphones/pg27

In the Shure dynamic mic line, I'd look at the SM7B for vocals. It's one of the more widely used vocal mics for broadcast and studio recordings.

My personal favorite for vocals is my Mojave MA-201 FET. But, as paterpeter mentioned above, there are a lot of excellent vocal mics out - it just depends on your budget, which one works best with your voice, which preamp you're pairing it with, etc.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

I would go with a condensor mic. AT 2020 is what I have. Got it for 50 dollars two months ago. Works for me.

I bought a Heil Sound PR 35 recently and i'm pretty pleased.

Very low noise because it has a great output.Frequency range is mostly flat and it can go deep.
I very much like it for recording samples too because it is much more rejective (vocal mic) and not so sensitive compared to a standard condenser mic that can record a cat breath from 12 feet away.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

neojjjk wrote:Hi,
please suggest me a good mic for vocals.
how is sm58 ?

THX!
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT ... B0006H92QK

Theres no doubt I love my Blue Encore 100.

It cuts right thorught the mix and has precision and clarity with pops. Its quite even and does the nitty gritty really well and good.

Try to get a mic that cuts through the mix well. While you may think all mics are made for your voice, that simply isn't so. Mics are tailored and built for different types of people.

One thing although it doesn't come with my blue Encore 100, is the Mic modeler EFX buy autotune. This software Mic Modeler EFX is just a MIc moderler. Its outstanding and is by far one of the most precious things I own because I now have access to sculpting my mic to be so much more accurate sounding and cutting through the mix with even more analog characterizations and personifications.

No matter what mic you go with. If it is responsive and sounds decent on your vocal to begin with Mic modeler EFX is passionately awesome and great to end with.

I advise you to go to somewhere like Sweetwater.com and ask whats a good mic to use with MIc modeler.

I think it will work well. I already sounded cool on my Encore 100 before MIc modeler but now in culmination it still works wonders. Even though the Encore 100 isn't listed on the specs and does not remove itself, It is combined tastefully in my situation. Musicians friend has a good deal.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”