What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

ThomasHelzle
KVRAF

2605 posts since 9 Dec, 2008, from Berlin

Postby ThomasHelzle; Mon May 12, 2014 7:00 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

Not fitting in words well.
The guy plays a Kontakt cello in realtime with vibrato and swells and stuff with his voice.
But this is like watching only the subtitles for a movie.
For everything else, you need the bandwidth I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Tom
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

21382 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Mon May 12, 2014 7:05 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

Tricky-Loops wrote:Maybe you could explain it in words, please? :help:

The guy uses a live voice-to-MIDI app to generate MIDI from his voice, live. :shrug:
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

8269 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Mon May 12, 2014 7:14 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

whyterabbyt wrote:

The guy uses a live voice-to-MIDI app to generate MIDI from his voice, live. :shrug:
I was just wondering how it's possible to make pad & string sounds with it as it's impossible to sing like a violin & convert it to MIDI chords... :wink:
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

21382 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Mon May 12, 2014 7:27 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

Tricky-Loops wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:

I was just wondering how it's possible to make pad & string sounds with it as it's impossible to sing like a violin & convert it to MIDI chords... :wink:

For varying values of 'impossible'. The output from something translating a monophonic source, like voice, into MIDI is pretty much always going to be monophonic, but that doesnt stop it from being used to drive a violin patch on a synth or sampler. Or a pad.

Oh, and since most stringed instruments of that family have a curved bridge, its not quite polyphonic the way a guitar is; the number of strings bowed at once isnt 4; seemingly on a violin, its quite difficult to manage 3. On a cello, which is what the example uses, I'd presume its harder still to exceed 2; the strings are thcker and the curve more pronounced. I'd imagine controlling one string is probably sufficient for a decent level of playability.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
Uncle E
KVRAF

6470 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Tue May 13, 2014 2:24 pm Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

S1 isn't seeing it as a CoreMIDI device.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Krakatau
KVRAF

4572 posts since 24 May, 2002, from Bobo-dioulasso\BF__Geneva/CH

Postby Krakatau; Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

Krakatau wrote:just pre-ordered...i just completely forgot this one !!!!

no receipt since that date ?

:?

...wait patiently until the 25th, i assume
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

3544 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed May 14, 2014 9:33 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

Theoretically one can only hit one note at a time, so whatever one plays via that plugin is basically a monophonic sound as well. But I suppose one could send the signal through a harmonizer or WOK's Superfake thingy to make the result sound fatter or even polyphonic, though probably only at fixed intervals like a 5th.
don1thedon
KVRian

956 posts since 25 Sep, 2002

Postby don1thedon; Wed May 14, 2014 10:14 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

Still waiting to get a beta, I've sent 2 emails now ... no reply :-?
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

3544 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed May 14, 2014 10:20 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

don1thedon wrote:Still waiting to get a beta, I've sent 2 emails now ... no reply :-?

Maybe there is on Internet access on the tropical island he moved to with your money :D
don1thedon
KVRian

Postby don1thedon; Wed May 14, 2014 10:55 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

Hmm you may have a point :dog:
GreyLion
KVRAF

2599 posts since 21 May, 2004, from Deep in the Heart of Texas

Postby GreyLion; Wed May 14, 2014 11:11 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

I got the Beta email on 5/11, including the activation key. Haven't had a chance to install and play with it yet.

Here's the download link, if y'all don't have it. For those who missed out on the Kickstarter, you can buy a key for $25. :)

http://imitone.com/beta/

EDIT: Oops. I just went upthread a page or so and see that you've done your homework already. Hoping he gets back with you soon, don1thedon.
don1thedon
KVRian

Postby don1thedon; Wed May 14, 2014 11:40 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

No worries GL thanks for taking the time to post.
interactopia
KVRer

2 posts since 14 May, 2014

Postby interactopia; Wed May 14, 2014 11:45 am Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

Hello! Evan Balster here -- the imitone developer. Just popping in, and I'm rather embarrassed to say I haven't read the entire thread yet.

Anyone who pre-ordered the program prior to the afternoon of May 11 should have received an automated E-mail containing a key and a link to the beta download. It's done through a mass-mailing service, and might be flagged as spam or a promotion as a result. Several people reported losing their keys due to clearing their spam boxes.

If you haven't gotten anything, shoot me an E-mail: "evan" at the project's website imitone.com.

The beta has a lot of bugs, haha. It also still needs a lot more improvement in order to work with a wide variety of voice types and instrument sounds. I should have kept calling it an alpha, honestly. Getting it presentable enough to ship out to thousands of users was exhausting and I made the poor decision of visiting some family in the country afterward. Because I was off the grid, I got a few days behind in communication. I'm catching up currently, hence my hurry.

The biggest issues right now are two show-stopper bugs that prevent the program from running at all on certain machines. The program additionally struggles with gritty and nasal voices, "oh" and "ooh" sounds and harmonically rich instruments. It also has higher "initial attument delay" than I'd like, resulting in poor performance with quick staccato melodies. I'll be focusing on analysis improvements as soon as I can overcome the showstoppers.

This seems like a technical crowd. If anyone here finds the analysis working poorly for them, I'd love a sample. Capture me a bit of audio from within the program by holding the "C" key while controlling it, and send me an E-mail at the above address with the below file attached:
On Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\interactopia\imitone beta X.Y.Z\capture.wav
On Mac: [right click imitone app, explore package]/Contents/Resources/capture.wav

Back to answering E-mails! Hopefully I can get some actual development in today...
don1thedon
KVRian

Postby don1thedon; Wed May 14, 2014 12:29 pm Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

Good to see you here Evan, you will get good feedback from users here.
You have mail ... & good luck with the project.
Don
bailees7irish
KVRAF

2560 posts since 30 Mar, 2007, from virginia, US

Postby bailees7irish; Wed May 14, 2014 1:23 pm Re: Imitone -- wow! Best live voice-to-midi I've ever seen

Very freakin' cool :)
FL Studio 11 / Music Creator 6 Touch / Fabfilter One / Aalto / Alchemy / Cumulus / Scanned Synth Pro / Consequence / EVE / Harmless / Ohmboyz / Mobilohm / Hematohm / Predatohm / Eos
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments