The PyDAW thread!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I feel like I been beta testing so much with the latest Bitwig. It's good, though.

What would you say is the best distro/OS to try this out on?

It looks like it has come a long way.

I really look forward to checking this out.

Hey buddy :)

Fedora and Ubuntu are regularly tested, Debian also works well using the Ubuntu instructions. I'd recommend Ubuntu 14.04 if you're at all unsure about what to use, it should have the best performance out-of-the-box without having to tweak anything.

I just added build instructions on Github, it should be easier to compile than most projects:

https://github.com/j3ffhubb/pydaw

I'd say that it really has come a long way. Once I made the time to start really using it(instead of just spending all of my time developing it), I started finding all of the obscure bugs and workflow deficiencies, which have pretty much all been addressed now... Being that it's still less than 2 years old, my plans for world domination are still on track :D

jeffh wrote:Hey buddy :)

Fedora and Ubuntu are regularly tested, Debian also works well using the Ubuntu instructions. I'd recommend Ubuntu 14.04 if you're at all unsure about what to use, it should have the best performance out-of-the-box without having to tweak anything.

I just added build instructions on Github, it should be easier to compile than most projects:

https://github.com/j3ffhubb/pydaw

I'd say that it really has come a long way. Once I made the time to start really using it(instead of just spending all of my time developing it), I started finding all of the obscure bugs and workflow deficiencies, which have pretty much all been addressed now... Being that it's still less than 2 years old, my plans for world domination are still on track :D

I really am cutting down on my time now. I would still like to check this out though. Even BitWig when I got it going and played with it for a few hours - well - the tight bastards dont' let you save your work. Even if you could recall it till you buy the full version, it would be something. Again, Image Line lead the way. They provide everything they do and you can use it but you can't reload, but you can save, and if you buy the plugin, voila your project is restored. Very clever. They suckered me into buying more than one plugin with that little trick I can tell you. :-)

So no more bitwigz for me. Oh well. I will buy it of course. 3 years down the road. You can count on me. But not now.

As for not wasting time ('Bleeding get on with it then'), I don't want to mess about too much more with usb stick stuff and at the moment on my main computer on a dual boot I only have (apart from win7 x64), LMDE, which as you know is Linux Mint Debian semi-rolling distro. I'm about to update it in fact. I could research it and I don't want you to do my homework for me, but seeing as you know a whole load more about these things than me, would that be any good to work on? It would all be on hard disk for a start.

Anyway, you have given enough information for me to figure it out for myself. It's just, a word or two of advice from someone who knows can save hours of messing about. With the best of intentions.

Oh, btw, I just found out about KX Studio and put it on a virtual machine on my laptop. f**king thing wants 10Gigs of HD space. No problem. Also, no way to change the monitor resolution without major f**king about with graphics drivers. Oh well. Another distro for the bin. Was like that with AV Linux too. Still looking for the perfect distro for audio. So far, my Linux Mints aren't any worse than anything else.

It seems to me, that if you could pick, say, even a handful of ideal distros to test your stuff on, it would save a lot of us messing about barking up the wrong tree, and it would narrow things down for you too when beta testing. You could say: 'Eh, you did use one of my five recommended distros, didn't you? - Which one mofo?'.

I know it isn't as simple as that, with things like Mint being based on Debian and Ubuntu and with them doing a pure Debian install that works like Ubuntu on the skin but is in fact Debian underneath. But you know, just some wild thoughts.

I use pure Debian too btw on a couple of systems, and I even have them on hard disk as well. It's just time.

What specific distros would you say were best? I don't mind tracking them down and installing them, obviously not to hard disk yet, but virtual machines would be good. Then again that won't work properly either will it because of audio driver support.

Doh.

Rather you than me!

:tu:

~Edit:
Yes, you said Ubuntu 14.04 - I'll try to work out which distro I can use for that. Then again, I am so used to distros being based on other distros, that I have over looked that this is a higher level seminal distro that I can just dl and use by itself. My bad. Can't see the wood for the trees. I'm off to Distrowatch with my tail between my legs.

Lulz :D

I might actually buy a Bitwig license... I'm probably not going to use it to produce music with, but quite possibly to DJ with the same way I used to DJ with Ableton many years ago... (not that there's anything wrong with Mixxx, I just like having options).

PyDAW should work well on almost any distro, whether old-n-stable or bleeding-edge. Since the very beginning I've put a lot of effort into ensuring that it doesn't require any kind of special system to run on, none of this:

Step 1. Re-compile your kernel with dozens of non-default settings
Step 2. Troubleshoot
Step 3. Repeat steps 1 through 2

...horse-shit that Linux audio has been peddling since the 90s. Hence I only develop and test it against Ubuntu, Fedora and sometimes Debian, always with stock kernels. Since 99% of distros are based on those, it should "just work" anywhere...

I think Ubuntu has the best out-of the-box experience, with Debian in a close 2nd. It runs well in Fedora out-of-the-box, but performance is slightly degraded because of SELinux being enabled by default (it prevents certain threading optimizations); Disable SELinux and Fedora is just as good as the other 2...

Re: Virtual machine: I'd try Debian, it comes with VirtualBox guest additions on the .iso, so the screen properly resizes. I have a Debian7.4 VM right now that I test PyDAW with, the audio works fine... You may need to adjust the VMs audio settings, but I've not had any problems with it.

jeffh wrote:Lulz :D

I might actually buy a Bitwig license... I'm probably not going to use it to produce music with, but quite possibly to DJ with the same way I used to DJ with Ableton many years ago... (not that there's anything wrong with Mixxx, I just like having options).

PyDAW should work well on almost any distro, whether old-n-stable or bleeding-edge. Since the very beginning I've put a lot of effort into ensuring that it doesn't require any kind of special system to run on, none of this:

Step 1. Re-compile your kernel with dozens of non-default settings
Step 2. Troubleshoot
Step 3. Repeat steps 1 through 2

...horse-shit that Linux audio has been peddling since the 90s. Hence I only develop and test it against Ubuntu, Fedora and sometimes Debian, always with stock kernels. Since 99% of distros are based on those, it should "just work" anywhere...

I think Ubuntu has the best out-of the-box experience, with Debian in a close 2nd. It runs well in Fedora out-of-the-box, but performance is slightly degraded because of SELinux being enabled by default (it prevents certain threading optimizations); Disable SELinux and Fedora is just as good as the other 2...

Re: Virtual machine: I'd try Debian, it comes with VirtualBox guest additions on the .iso, so the screen properly resizes. I have a Debian7.4 VM right now that I test PyDAW with, the audio works fine... You may need to adjust the VMs audio settings, but I've not had any problems with it.

That's super advice.

Cheers.

As for Mixxx.

Jeebeez, I dl'd that from the repository. Did not have a clue. I seriously need to be a bit more like Clint Eastwood and learn my limitations as a man.

When you say Debian..

Ah ah, I got it. I'll work it out. I'm going to see how it goes on LMDE and report back.

cheers jeffh.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”