software VA synthesizers make me wish i had analog hardware.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

its fetishism, which would be better placed in gimp masks and pony play. have some fun at fetish clubs then use musical instruments as musical instruments regardless of their origin.

For me (for the others I don't know) software is better than hardware. Because of a hhuuuuuuge argument: I haven't enough space, simply.

So my only real hardware synth is this one.

Other than that, I have just a little number of MIDI master keyboards and a BCR2000. And a Fender guitar, an ErHu and many flutes (because I can move with them all much easier than with a synth).

I'm ok to buy many hardware synths... if a wider apartment or a house is offered with it.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

So just get an analog synth man. Even a cheaper one. Not all of the are brilliant, but most of them are good. For pads it gets a little trickier, there are some nice cheap monos, but good polys cost a lot more.

If you find out in the end it didn't make such a big difference just re-sell it.

There is nothing like the experience of using a good analog synth, if that's what you want.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:For pads it gets a little trickier
I would have said almost the contrary: for pads, imho, the analogue synths remain the best choice (not depreciating the value of more modern synths for the pads, huh).

And the string synths, of course, are even still better. Their warmth and softness is so enveloping in atmospheres...

If we don't look exclusively for the most mythical trademarks, it's not impossible to find relatively cheap excellent old analogue synths which work still fine today. Even in these mythical trademarks a serious survey can sometimes drive to real bargains.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote:For pads it gets a little trickier
I would have said almost the contrary: for pads, imho, the analogue synths remain the best choice (not depreciating the value of more modern synths for the pads, huh).

And the string synths, of course, are even still better. Their warmth and softness is so enveloping in atmospheres...

If we don't look exclusively for the most mythical trademarks, it's not impossible to find relatively cheap excellent old analogue synths which work still fine today. Even in these mythical trademarks a serious survey can sometimes drive to real bargains.
Sorry, I meant obtaining one becomes a little more tricky. You either go vintage which are often fairly expensive (relatively), or modern which are fairly expensive too, with fewer choices and sometimes not as much personality as the older ones.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:and sometimes not as much personality as the older ones.
Yes. That's precisely why I love so much old prog rock and old analogue synth: their character and their personality, even from a specimen to another specimen in a same model. Their sound depends of so many environmental conditions (age of the components, heat of the room and sometimes even humidity) that they are almost as living as acoustic instruments...

BlackWinny wrote:For me (for the others I don't know) software is better than hardware. Because of a hhuuuuuuge argument: I haven't enough space, simply.

So my only real hardware synth is this one.

Other than that, I have just a little number of MIDI master keyboards and a BCR2000. And a Fender guitar, an ErHu and many flutes (because I can move with them all much easier than with a synth).

I'm ok to buy many hardware synths... if a wider apartment or a house is offered with it.
Yeah, I've had a bit of an epiphany over the last few days that's something similar to your opinion. I love hardware synths, don't get me wrong. I feel they have a quality that's not been bested by software, especially when it comes to analog synths.

...however, a while back I started loading up on software synths to replace my VA hardware collection. I never looked back. I loved it, and I also found that a new instrument could often be really inspiring especially if it had novel features or a very unique sound. I started "collecting" software synths. It's fun. They take up no space and are often inexpensive.

Then I became interested in true analogs and it was fine because most were out of my price range so I had a single DSI MoPho. Then a flurry of inexpensive analogs came out and I started to "collect" these as well. It's become a bit of a problem. I now have more instruments than I have room for or inputs on my audio interface... and I have a wish list! I had to slap myself and now I'm gearing up (or down?) for a bit of a purge. I realize that with a baby I need to ditch a hobby and my two hobbies are basically collecting/trading instruments and playing instruments. One's got to go, so I'm cutting myself off from any new hardware. Software's not an issue. Do you like it? Does your computer run it? Get it! With hardware I find I spend so much time thinking about "Is A better than B? Is B different enough from C to keep? Do I have enough space for a D? It's like a puzzle where I'm constantly wondering if new pieces will fit better. Instead of being fun it's starting to be depressing.

HI! I'm Mark. I'm a GEARAHOLIC! :help:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I like all kind synths. And i maybe get someday real analog(s) also. to me DCO has uses where is must have but some things work better with VCOs. some kind sequence things really need DCOs. tuning must me like "clock" and sounds needs 2 oscs for example then is even more must have in these kind sequence sounds.

Hey bro, I feel you in a big way. I admit- who wouldn't want a hardware sound with the flexibility of software.

Ive found a solution available to though with a good saturation plug in like within Ableton Live.

I love ADDING.... saturation to my synths. I really can put a whole new type of spin on it. Its really fun to work in waveshaper mode and sculpt the heck out of it. Highly rewarding just like making presets on Sylenth1.

The saturator can give a

DEEP
BUBBLY
GRITTY
SMOOTH
OVERDRIVEN
MELLOW
ANALOG SOUND

enjoi!
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

The latest generation of Analog emulation softsynths are very good.

Hardware needs decent A/D conversion and external patch management. And if there's only a negligible sonic advantage over softsynths, what is the point?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Knobs and switches. and they reduce how much you need cpu. i think what i tested DIVA is too heavy my style in my current computer. btw i very likely very happy what i allready have but sometimes i want add another hardware or two of them synth. i dont know how much i need it. before i add new synths i try make music current ones...

Sampleconstruct wrote:No, on the contrary, I'm happy I don't have to touch my hardware synths any more, they just look good in the studio.
+1

If you are hankering after an analogue modular, Bazille can scratch that itch for far less money... of course if you are not careful it can also give you the itch too! ;-)

The convenience of software is so over-riding, that for me, whatever quality differences remain are moot... in theory, analog hardware is better, but in practice, I will get better results from software because of that convenience.

Return to “Instruments”