Best Ensemble/Divide-Down/Paraphonic VST/AU Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

I've been loving Fxpansion Amber's sound, but it's so goddamned buggy on my system it's nearly unusable (either random authorization failures in the middle of a session or random volume spikes that wake up my family at 1AM or random crashing). Does anyone have any good alternative to this synth, preferably in AU format? Thanks.

-Sam

I don´t know Amber but maybe either Full Buckets free deputy Mark II or Nabla could fit the spot.

Payware (but dang cheap) would be Night Flight by Interruptor.

Unfortunately no AU versions.

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Xils-Lab V+ ( and you'll also get a splendid vintage Vocoder in addition to the Strings and the Human Voices )

Described by many users, and reviewers, as almost identical to the original machine :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

free : Hugo Portillo's solina & eminent for reaktor

paid: loomer string

as for cypher - you running the latest release (tagged as a beta on fxpansion's site, but def more stable)

I own Night Flight and Loomer String. I wanted to buy Cromina but the demo was only the bass and violin sound, so I wasn't sure what 75% of the synth sounded like.

I haven't tried V plus, G Force String Machine, or Amber.

String is wonderful. Match it with some EQ and a good filter (I use The Drop) and some valhalla reverb and it sounds like Pink Floyd.

Night Flight is ok but not as good as String or Cromina for that vintage divide down sound.

+1 for String. Once I got this I don't really use any others (such as String Machine) any more.

LimboLoves wrote:I own Night Flight and Loomer String. I wanted to buy Cromina but the demo was only the bass and violin sound, so I wasn't sure what 75% of the synth sounded like.

I haven't tried V plus, G Force String Machine, or Amber.

String is wonderful. Match it with some EQ and a good filter (I use The Drop) and some valhalla reverb and it sounds like Pink Floyd.

Night Flight is ok but not as good as String or Cromina for that vintage divide down sound.
Night Flight is closer to an Eminent than Cromina is to a Solina. None of those are 64bit though.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:Night Flight is closer to an Eminent than Cromina is to a Solina. None of those are 64bit though.
string definitely is 64bit

jdnz wrote:
electro wrote:Night Flight is closer to an Eminent than Cromina is to a Solina. None of those are 64bit though.
string definitely is 64bit
Nabla and Deputy Mark II also are 64-bit. We can see that at the bottom of their pages (and I actually use them in native 64-bit).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

You have also eSline (from Elektrostudio) which is quite good to emulate a Solina.

You have also the brand new Selena (made available three days ago), from our french friend Benoît Serrano.

Are they among the "best"? With the String Machines it is much more difficult to say than for a synth, because in their old hardware originals, there was absolutely no String Machine which sounded exactly as another even in the same model. It was actually a bit true yet for the old analogue synths but it was totally true for the String Machines.

Therefore, for the String Machine emulations the preference is totally at the feeling of each musician.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

And you can choose also some other very good String Machines in these products: And there are probably other nice products that I haven't tried.

And in the same KVR Database there are also many anecdotal products absolutely without any interest.

Note: I have referenced at the top of the pages of this thread all these little jewels that we have cited in this present page, because they all really merit to be known and tried.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Fri May 16, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woah. Thanks for the huge list of alternatives everyone. I'll check them all out this weekend. I did try the xils v+ when it was initially released but it I was mainly using the vocoder, which didn't really suit me at the time. I'll have to give it another spin.

-Sam

masterhiggins wrote:Woah. Thanks for the huge list of alternatives everyone. I'll check them all out this weekend. I did try the xils v+ when it was initially released but it I was mainly using the vocoder, which didn't really suit me at the time. I'll have to give it another spin.

-Sam
For the moment you have 16 instruments to try...

Ca ira ?

Not every "string" VSTI is a true paraphonic
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:Not every "string" VSTI is a true paraphonic
No, of course.

But polyphonic may be interesting for some users in search of a string machine.

Now, I can revisit the 16 products listed above (and more if some of us find still other excellent products we forgotten) and add the precision of each one to indicate if it is a real paraphonic, if it is native 64-bit Windows and if it is OSX compatible. I could do that sunday...

EDIT : 1:38 PM (hour of Paris, France)

I have found other products which can be interesting for some who search for string synths. Some are real products, others are soundwares for Kontakt of for UVI: All the others that I have seen are anecdotical.

Sunday I'll revisit the list to indicate for each one the compatibilities (OSX and 64 bit Win) and the mode paraphonic-OR-polyphonic.

Return to “Instruments”