K3

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a song with guitars, drums, vocals, synths, and strings. It is kind of catchy I think. The lyrics aren't meant to be prescriptive. They represent more an aesthetic/formal choice.

No limiting on the master bus so you'll have to turn up the volume on your listening device to match current commercial levels. It is a little more work for you but the payoff is greater dynamic range.

Comments are appreciated :)

https://archive.org/download/K3Final/k3%20final%20.mp3

thanks for the upload. koo!

Thanks the comment mrblitz :)

i really like the recording quality of the various parts, and the composition is interesting. it sounds kind of like 'downtempo with a punk sensibility'.

Thanks. Some notes on the sounds: The guitars were done with the expensive Kemper box. Digital out into Eleven Rack as the soundcard. Drums are BFD and samples from Analogue Drums. The strings in intro are from the Sampletank Miroslav. Vocals were with an CAD e300 into a FMR Really Nice Preamp.
Lots of distortion/compression/eq of the drums. No processing on the guitars other than panning multiple takes. Light compression on the vocals.

I like that characterization of the composition. To me it kind of sounds like the Pixie song 'Where is my Mind' and songs on Cloud Nothing's first album.

You're right. It is catchy. It's definitely got '90s "indie-rock" vibes, although I hesitate to use that overworked descriptor. The track reminds me of some of the old guitar-driven Radiohead tracks. You're also right about the DR on here. It's great to be able to turn this up and hear the contrast between the loud and quiet sections. The guitars sound great, especially the fast monotone lead sound towards the end. Nice job with the vocals too. It's a good mix, with a clear sound even though there is quite a lot going on.

Good work :)

Thank you for the detailed comments seismic. :) Most of the song doesn't have bass accompaniment so that makes it easier to get a clear mix. I didn't filter the low end of the rhythm guitar so I thought I'd just leave the bass out to avoid low frequency build up.

I like this a lot. No idea what you're singing but the sound of the vocals works well. Good stuff. Thank you.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:No idea what you're singing
I think the entirety of the lyrics is "praise Jesus" if I'm not mistaken.

Huh. Listening again, and it sounds as if you are not mistaken. Thanks, Frantz.
No longer a moderator.

Thanks for listening Frantz and D.H. Frantz is right. 'Praise Jesus' is the whole lyric. Like I said, it is not meant to prescriptive. I'm not religious. Nevertheless, I thought it somehow fit. Plus it was easy to sing.

Maybe it should have been 'okay cheesus' or 'hey tease us'. Feel free to substitute your preferred irreverent subject.

Thanks again for listening and the comments. :)

FZ wrote: Have you seen us,
Uncle Remus?

Great song. I should listen to more of Frank Zappa.

Another:
'Look out I'm sneezun.' More syllabus than praise Jesus so just have to sing it a bit faster.

lovely!

superb mixout. soo many things happening
keeper

Thanks for listening Emerald. Glad you enjoyed. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”