need some help with decisions -newbie-

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

well hello.

my name is jeroen and im new here to this forum.
im from the netherlands and im 15 years old.

i recently started producing with fl studio and i have a couple of questions that i hope that can be answered here.

my 'producer' name is provato.
provato is greek for sheep, one of my friends came up with it.
everyone used to call me sheep because of my curly hair so that where that name comes from.
but the problem is that im just not sure if i like it.
what do you guys think, should i keep this current name or should i take something else?
any suggestions for another name?
(i dont like my real name either)

my second problem is that i dont know what i kind of genre i should produce
i really like almost all kind of genres and i have no idea which i should pick?
can someone help me with that as well?

and my third and last question is:
has anyone some tips on how to be original?

thanks

ps
i want to apologize for the length topic and for my bad english

Why you are even starting to produce if you don't know what you want?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Why you are even starting to produce if you don't know what you want?
Because he's a sheep.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Hi Jeroen and welcome to KVR.

About your questions, my opinion is:

1. "Sheep" would make you popular in NZ ;-) Seriously, it doesn't matter what you call yourself.

2. You are 15 years old now. When you are 25, new genres would born, so invest to learn music in general more than just one genre. I would spend at least 5 years improving my knowledge, personality and experience in life and music (everything from some music theory, playing an instrument, learning synthesis, sound design, mixing ...etc). After some time, you would feel which way attracts you more.

3. Originality depends on your personality. How original you are in your talk, humour and thinking? The more you read and experience (music, literature, Arts and Life in general), the more you add to your personality. This is IMO what makes you different in your production from others. Think of it like a huge RPG game! You start with nothing, then adding skills/weapons/Armor and experience points. When you reach a high level in the game, you are definitely looks 'Original' because your choices were yours :-)

EnGee wrote:Hi Jeroen and welcome to KVR.

About your questions, my opinion is:

1. "Sheep" would make you popular in NZ ;-) Seriously, it doesn't matter what you call yourself.

2. You are 15 years old now. When you are 25, new genres would born, so invest to learn music in general more than just one genre. I would spend at least 5 years improving my knowledge, personality and experience in life and music (everything from some music theory, playing an instrument, learning synthesis, sound design, mixing ...etc). After some time, you would feel which way attracts you more.

3. Originality depends on your personality. How original you are in your talk, humour and thinking? The more you read and experience (music, literature, Arts and Life in general), the more you add to your personality. This is IMO what makes you different in your production from others. Think of it like a huge RPG game! You start with nothing, then adding skills/weapons/Armor and experience points. When you reach a high level in the game, you are definitely looks 'Original' because your choices were yours :-)

hejj EnGee
i really want to thank you for your time for making these comprehensive answers.
it is really appreciated and im definitely going to do something with it.

I don't fully get it-who's the musician? You need a musician, then a producer (possibly the same person) puts it all together so it sounds good as one.

If you're going directly for the end result, you should be in school, as that's business and not personal creativity.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I can't help you with your existential questions but God, how I wish I was your age again... with the motivation to start learning a DAW! You have no idea how quick your (young) brain will pick up the things you apply yourself to as compared to being an 'older' person :)

You say you like many genres: that's a +1! At least learn the basics of piano as this will help you in all genres and in all DAW's although I must say I'm sometimes (unpleasantly) amazed what youngsters can do with FL or Ableton Live without any real musical skills or knowledge whatsoever..

My advice would be to just try and make some basic 'house' or EDM music (or whatever it is called these days) as it is often quite simple 4/4 beats and you can have a nicely sounding tune going in no time and more importantly: You'll learn about all the wonderful stuff you can do with your DAW!

As EnGee already suggested: Develop as a person. Broaden your (musical) horizon and eventually you'll find yourself (or not.. I still haven't ;)).

Best advice I read here somewhere was: Your first songs will suck big time!!! Even Mozart had to learn first right? So deal with it but realise you will learn something EVERY TIME you lay something down no matter how frustrating it may feel. Oh.. and try to have fun!
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Welcome to the forum acda! :tu:

As you can probably tell already, opinions run wild at kvr :hihi:

It's not unusual at your age to not like your name. I didn't like mine at age 15, but then I came to realize, I'm stuck with it so better get used to it :hihi:

Now today, it doesn't bother me so much :D

TBH Jeroen is a good name :tu:
http://www.behindthename.com/name/jeroen

I would probably not ever have known the meaning of provato if you had not revealed it. At first i thought "That's a great stage name!" (I'm not so sure now though unless I was to move to where they didn't know the meaning :hihi:)

Here's another great Greek sheep name if it helps - Aries :tu:

I concur with Engee and Spiritos, learn as much as you can. And it will be much easier for you at 15 than down the road, believe me!Try not to limit yourself - the more you expand the mind the greater you become.

Anyway, those two have said it pretty much so I'll leave you to make decisions.

Good luck to you in your musical endeavors!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Don't worry about your name yet.

Genre - Forget about that for now. Just make music that you'd like to hear.

Be patient, it takes years to get your skills to a decent level.

So for now, just enjoy making music. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Pravoto.

Sheep are stupid. Sheep cant do anything original. They bah and bah and cant get up if they fall over.

If you want to be original finish school and sheep training. In sheep school and sheep training you will learn to do things after you learn them.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

acda wrote:and my third and last question is:
The best way would be for you to not ask questions one and two.

Start making music and see what you come up with. Don't worry about genre as you will just be restricting yourself before you start; and don't worry about a name if you have no music - it's only going to matter when you're looking for an audience.

robojam wrote:
acda wrote:and my third and last question is:
The best way would be for you to not ask questions one and two.

Start making music and see what you come up with. Don't worry about genre as you will just be restricting yourself before you start; and don't worry about a name if you have no music - it's only going to matter when you're looking for an audience.
Oh hogwash, without a proper name, you will not be attracting the ladies. It's not a problem though, you just need to add something super fly to your existing name, like turbo. Yeah, that's it, turbo's the ticket. If you were originally pig farmer, now you're turbo pig farmer, see, it's perfect.

Don't worry about genre's, names or being original. Play music that makes you feel good, or communicates what you are thinking. Don't get caught up in technology, don't worry about what other people think.

You are very young and have many, many years of learning ahead of you. Find people that you admire and learn from them.

You are worrying about the wrong things. Just make music that comes from your heart and soul.

Never stop learning.

to be original, spend alot of time playing your instruments
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

Inversoundzzz wrote:to be original, spend alot of time playing your instruments
Ignore shit advice like this as it will not help you get the ladies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QCs3PnQBc

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”