The Guitar Show (Show yours)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:Is that intonated? Those saddles are straight across :o
Nope. I'm not quite a dedicated guitar enthusiast and frankly didn't know what that means, until today. Thank you for pointing me there. I checked some wiki on what is that and how to do it. Turned out to be fairly simple task. Took me less than an hour. The tuning is now accurate all over the fretboard. It still looks better than it sounds, but I learned something new today. :hihi:

That's great to hear! Best way to learn something is just to do it, especially stuff like brain surgery (just joking!) I recently went from 12s to 13s on my Tele, and it suddenly got really hot here in Milan, so probably about time I did mine again...

Zombie Queen wrote:
The tuning is now accurate all over the fretboard. It still looks better than it sounds, but I learned something new today. :hihi:
And another lesson today is the tuning can't be accurate all over the fretboard.

Daimonicon wrote: And another lesson today is the tuning can't be accurate all over the fretboard.
Well, maybe not on that guitar (and pretty much every guitar with a standard fretboard, of course).

Check out this guitar with 'true temperament fets.'

Probably still not perfect, but it's sort of interesting.
Meh.

Zombie Queen wrote:
Nope. I'm not quite a dedicated guitar enthusiast and frankly didn't know what that means, until today. Thank you for pointing me there. I checked some wiki on what is that and how to do it. Turned out to be fairly simple task. Took me less than an hour. The tuning is now accurate all over the fretboard. It still looks better than it sounds, but I learned something new today. :hihi:
Well, I'm glad. When I saw all the saddles were in a straight line it's what I thought of. Cool looking guitar, never have seen one before!

Hermetech Mastering wrote:It really pays to learn how to setup a guitar yourself. All the info is out there in internet land, you don't need many expensive tools, and it only takes a few hours (with a few rest days in between to let things settle). Depending on where you live, due to temperature changes, you only have to do it once or twice a year. You'll also need to do one if you change string gauges. Neck/truss rod, action/radius, pickup/pole height, intonation etc. All simple stuff! Have done all my own guitars and basses for years.
+1 (though a couple of hours is a bit long imo)...have you visited the DIY forum here at KvR? It seems you might fit in nicely :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Daimonicon wrote:And another lesson today is the tuning can't be accurate all over the fretboard.
That would depend on considered level of accuracy.
hibidy wrote:Cool looking guitar, never have seen one before!
It's labelled Hohner Reno, it it used to be a cheap guitar I reckon. This one looks a bit different, as it has no pickguard and it has different pickups.

KrisM wrote:Probably still not perfect, but it's sort of interesting.
I've played a guitar with true temperament frets, it's very cool and surprisingly easy to get used to. I wish they could make a retrofit system that would allow the frets to fit into normal fret slots.

I don't know how to make frets.
They have to be hard, which is a pity-
otherwise you could cast the fret(brass) to be more accurately tuned,
like a squiggle on top of the regular fret mount.
I actually like the beating of the slightly out chords,
and how D sounds different on G&B string.

It's a great idea Eric

nix808 wrote:I don't know how to make frets.
They have to be hard, which is a pity-
otherwise you could cast the fret(brass) to be more accurately tuned,
Smart! Yes, I suppose they must be individually cast, anyway, in which case they really probably could be made to fit into regular slots.
I actually like the beating of the slightly out chords,
and how D sounds different on G&B string.
That's very true. I think I heard the owner of Fairfax Recording (Gotye's record label) saying the very same thing, so you're in good company. I need to stop being so anal. ;)

I don't think it's too anal,
we could have both sounds by having 2 guitars ideally.
I am fussing over perfect pitch a lot recently-
doing guitar audio to synth

These equal temperament frets are new to me,
interesting!

hehe many things seem to be an inexact science

meh...guitars are not perfect that's why the gawds invented finger vibrato 8)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

nix808 wrote:I am fussing over perfect pitch a lot recently-
doing guitar audio to synth
How about a guitar with equal temperament frets and a built-in Fishman Triple Play midi pickup?

It would be cool to have the Fishman built-in,
Borging guitars isn't entirely cool perhaps.
I think those frets would help for sure.

I'm a glutton for punishment,
on the other hand it's fun and keeps me busy to use an Ubertar passive hex,
and treat the streams myself. Just got to get the final touches on the tracking.
It bleeds is the biggest problem, and harmonics are trouble too.
I also have powered the GK3, it has better separation.
The level is the same as Ubertar.

Maybe one day I'll get the Fishman and see if it is perfect,
in the meantime this blasted project is keeping me out of trouble hehe

Mike recommends Ztar, but I haven't given up on the conversion yet.

Yup.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”