What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What has pissed you off today?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

6349 posts since 6 Sep, 2008

Postby Mushy Mushy; Sat May 24, 2014 1:13 am Re: What has pissed you off today?

whyterabbyt wrote:Surely the question should be "which companies couldn't know, so I can avoid them"

Because if a company like that doesnt have their systems set up to log everything significant that happens to them, and mechanisms in place to check those logs for anomalies, they're doing it -all- wrong.

Ok sure, I hear you.

A well protected company would be set up to check for bulk downloads, unauthorised accesses etc. I get that.

My point though, is if Mr Hacker is so good as to get into these systems in the first place surely he/she is also able to mask their intrusion.

Yes/no/maybe/stop being so daft :?:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

21375 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Sat May 24, 2014 2:04 am Re: What has pissed you off today?

Mushy Mushy wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Surely the question should be "which companies couldn't know, so I can avoid them"

Because if a company like that doesnt have their systems set up to log everything significant that happens to them, and mechanisms in place to check those logs for anomalies, they're doing it -all- wrong.

Ok sure, I hear you.

A well protected company would be set up to check for bulk downloads, unauthorised accesses etc. I get that.

My point though, is if Mr Hacker is so good as to get into these systems in the first place surely he/she is also able to mask their intrusion.

Yes/no/maybe/stop being so daft :?:

Yes/no/maybe, basically.

Sure, an intruder could be in a position, for example, to manipulate the logs, and hide their tracks, and have the skills to do so. It doesnt mean that'll be the case, though. For example log files dont necessarily get stored on the same system as they're generated on, and its entirely possible that no user can actually write them. There are also all sorts of ways manipulation of the log files can be detected; in some systems, any changes to the log files can be logged too and deleting an entry in a log file would be an automatic flag for an intrusion detection system.

Getting access to files isnt the same as getting access to the low-level operations of the filesystem. Getting access the easiest way 'merely' requires compromising an existing user account that already has access. That can be done in a variety of ways, but relying on human stupidity (dumb password choice, or social engineering) is easiest. Those sort of ways in dont necessarily give one a means of changing the system. The very sophisticated ways in might, and they might be less detectable.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
osiris
KVRAF

7320 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Sat May 24, 2014 6:02 am Re: What has pissed you off today?

F*cking banks. So, I pay a credit card off and there was a 94 cent credit on the account. Then all of a sudden there;s a charge for - are you ready? 54 cents.
54 CENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, I call the bank and ask how a 94 cent credit turns into a 54 cent bill and she launched into this gobbledygook about 'Minimum Finance Charge', and I said WAIT! You
mean to tell me you're charging me a finance charge on a positive balance?
I asked her how the bank would like to be paid - dimes , quarters, or a postage stamp? She didn't think it was funny.
I was 2 milliseconds from cancelling that card, but she says she'll take it off.
The thing is, I thought the account was paid and wouldn't even have known I had that charge if I hadn't checked that account. So, that 54 cents wouldn't have been paid which would haVe a snowball effect of late fees and rate increases.
I told her I think the bank just makes this shit up as it goes along. just to try and trap inattentive consumers.
elassi
KVRian

805 posts since 8 Sep, 2009

Postby elassi; Sat May 24, 2014 6:15 am Re: What has pissed you off today?

Business partner tries to fu** me by hiding sales that are subject of my commission contract. Found out today (I'm always aware of such things to happen) and have something to think about during the weekend. :box:

Always remember the old and golden recommendation, folks: never trust no one when money is involved. Fix non-disputable contracts, establish control mechanisms, prefer hard facts over promises.
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Postby Mushy Mushy; Sat May 24, 2014 8:35 am Re: What has pissed you off today?

whyterabbyt wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Yes/no/maybe, basically.

Sure, an intruder could be in a position, for example, to manipulate the logs, and hide their tracks, and have the skills to do so. It doesnt mean that'll be the case, though. For example log files dont necessarily get stored on the same system as they're generated on, and its entirely possible that no user can actually write them. There are also all sorts of ways manipulation of the log files can be detected; in some systems, any changes to the log files can be logged too and deleting an entry in a log file would be an automatic flag for an intrusion detection system.

Getting access to files isnt the same as getting access to the low-level operations of the filesystem. Getting access the easiest way 'merely' requires compromising an existing user account that already has access. That can be done in a variety of ways, but relying on human stupidity (dumb password choice, or social engineering) is easiest. Those sort of ways in dont necessarily give one a means of changing the system. The very sophisticated ways in might, and they might be less detectable.
Ah ok. Understood.

Thanks for explaining WR.
Hink
Rad Grandad

24699 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from New England U.S.A.

Postby Hink; Sat May 24, 2014 8:56 am Re: What has pissed you off today?

osiris wrote:F*cking banks. So, I pay a credit card off and there was a 94 cent credit on the account. Then all of a sudden there;s a charge for - are you ready? 54 cents.
54 CENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, I call the bank and ask how a 94 cent credit turns into a 54 cent bill and she launched into this gobbledygook about 'Minimum Finance Charge', and I said WAIT! You
mean to tell me you're charging me a finance charge on a positive balance?
I asked her how the bank would like to be paid - dimes , quarters, or a postage stamp? She didn't think it was funny.
I was 2 milliseconds from cancelling that card, but she says she'll take it off.
The thing is, I thought the account was paid and wouldn't even have known I had that charge if I hadn't checked that account. So, that 54 cents wouldn't have been paid which would haVe a snowball effect of late fees and rate increases.
I told her I think the bank just makes this shit up as it goes along. just to try and trap inattentive consumers.

report them here James because I think you are right that they are trying to trap customers, that's ridiculous. As for paying in pennies, in Hudson NH a few years back (probably 2009 because it was before we moved) a guy was charged something like 40k in back property taxes, I forget all the circumstances but as I recall it did seem like he was getting raked over the coals...he paid in pennies.

I tried to do a google search for the case but didn't have luck...but it seems he is not alone :lol:

https://www.google.com/search?q=man+pay ... channel=sb
New Song LBS
osiris
KVRAF

7320 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Sun May 25, 2014 7:16 am Re: What has pissed you off today?

Well. they took it off. Now the 94 cent credit is back. Problem is, they weren't the first. Had another card I finally paid down to $10 balance. They conveniently forgot
to send a bill. Then I get an email saying 'Did you forget to pay your bill? Then they try and stick me with a $10.00 late charge. Phone call took care of that, but the explanation I got was hilarious....
Sometimes we don';t send out statements if the balances are low.
Which is amazing since I get statements from them when I've had a zero balance.
Compyfox
KVRAF

11214 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Sun May 25, 2014 2:52 pm Re: What has pissed you off today?

Wanted to participate in a plebiscite.

Thought that this thing was manipulated, ripped the ballots in half in front of the audience, asked for possible solutions. I was told to file a complaint at the local elective office at the next nearest Citizens Registration Office. I was then told "you already voted for the EU elections? Then you can't add your vote for the plebiscite anymore".

Pissed me off big time, since i not only wasted time. But I was also wrongly consulted. Wasted my vote for nothing.
robojam
KVRAF

20783 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Mon May 26, 2014 11:36 am Re: What has pissed you off today?

I went through something similar with UK banks when I moved to the US. I moved here before I canceled most of my cards and accounts there, and then wrote to them. About half of them ignored my request to close the accounts and claimed no knowledge of the letter I wrote to them (this was back when all cancellations required a written request).

Long story short - the ones that didn't cancel just let it ride until they added on charges like annual fees that put the account in the red and then they started adding a monthly charge, and in some cases multiple fees.

First few letters I got from any of them I read and then ignored as they were irrelevant to what I thought of as closed accounts and then eventually I started shredding them unopened. Then I got what was obviously a letter from a collection agency so I opened it wondering what the hell it was for. Seems that the banks that had no knowledge of my letter to them asking that the account should be canceled had my address...now how the hell did they get that if I had never written to them...?

Anyway, about 4 banks started trying to collect on debts that only existed because of fees AFTER I had asked them to close accounts with a zero balance. I told them all to go f**k themselves but they kept at it for years until some of the debts were hiked up to a couple of thousand dollars. Never paid them a penny, but they put a lot of time and effort into collecting debts that they created themselves.

Assholes.
RunBeerRun
KVRAF

7277 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Mon May 26, 2014 2:30 pm Re: What has pissed you off today?

I used to wake up at 8:30, but now my cat insists I wake up at about 7 everyday. She jumps on my bed and bats at the blinds, which would break them so I have to stop her, over and over then she meows and won't stop. 7 isn't that bad though.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/RunBeerRun5 -Youtube jams
https://twitter.com/RunBeerRun5 -Twitter rants
V0RT3X
KVRAF

4138 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Mon May 26, 2014 5:11 pm Re: What has pissed you off today?

I am annoyed with the fact I have allowed my life to get out of balance again. Time to get back on a strict schedule again...
Having the best tools and technical knowledge isn't gonna do much for you if you don't understand how to make good music.
LimboLoves
KVRist

410 posts since 21 Feb, 2014

Postby LimboLoves; Mon May 26, 2014 5:50 pm Re: What has pissed you off today?

I am mad because I'm stuck in Kentucky for another week
Hink
Rad Grandad

24699 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from New England U.S.A.

Postby Hink; Mon May 26, 2014 5:53 pm Re: What has pissed you off today?

RunBeerRun wrote:I used to wake up at 8:30, but now my cat insists I wake up at about 7 everyday. She jumps on my bed and bats at the blinds, which would break them so I have to stop her, over and over then she meows and won't stop. 7 isn't that bad though.

dst?
New Song LBS
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

Postby Mushy Mushy; Tue May 27, 2014 1:03 am Re: What has pissed you off today?

Left my sennheisers at home today, so I'm using my backup headphones for the first time. The standard iPhone jobbies. My god they're rubbish. Even knowing they'd be terrible, they're still far worse than expected. The treble is so harsh it's piercing.

So I have a choice now between listening to conversations with work wankers or piercing treble.

Sadly I think the treble is going to win.
RunBeerRun
KVRAF

7277 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Tue May 27, 2014 3:32 am Re: What has pissed you off today?

Hink wrote:dst?

You mean time zone? Uh I'm in Indiana, Eastern zone. Cat woke me up at 6:40. Plenty of time later on in which I'll exercise.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/RunBeerRun5 -Youtube jams
https://twitter.com/RunBeerRun5 -Twitter rants
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic