Hardware VS Software!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So you know the story.......
I am an oldskool guy and wont deny I favor hardware before anything else first.
Having said that I use protools as going to tape is just no longer a reasonable option anymore.
I have to admit I dont know why but I dislike plugins and think I am rather biased also and because of this I cant really answer or tell you how good they are when comparing to my hardware.

So the question I have is for the person or persons using both and can reasonably make a comparison?
So how are they? I only really care for plugins that can be compared to mixing with a console as I work on API with other flavor of outboard hanging on.

So do you see the big ol console going away anytime soon you think? what about outboard, are people like me just stupid and think outboard is simply better because you spend $6k on a decent compressor and it has to be better :)
Whats your take on it friends?
If you want to achieve greatness stop asking for permission!

I would think old school guys would not spell school with a k, is what I think about this post.

use what feels comfortable to you and enables you to produce the best work you can.
it sounds very obvious i know, but considering how easy it is to have a mix of both hard and software its the only logical answer i can think of :wink:

macmurphy wrote:use what feels comfortable to you and enables you to produce the best work you can.
it sounds very obvious i know, but considering how easy it is to have a mix of both hard and software its the only logical answer i can think of :wink:
+1, there is no right or wrong, it's art...not science
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Sequent wrote:If you want to achieve greatness stop asking for permission!
:tu:

agree

There are dozens of posts posing hardware versus software here. I think I am not alone in :roll: seeing the thread title.

FTR: I don't think 'hardware' per se amounts to 'better'. Or that six thousand dollars assures you a thing through itself.
This:
I dont know why but I dislike plugins and think I am rather biased
Seems kind of flame-baity for post #36 on this, a plugins forum. Or do you want to be converted? ;)

I think most would agree that the main benefits of using plugins is convenience, cost, and flexibility. As far as sound, well that's obviously quite subjective but I think most would agree that plenty of plugins sound better than plenty of hardware gear.

As far as workflow, if that's your reason for sticking with hardware I think you're probably just being stubborn or close-minded. It's not very difficult to learn how to use plugins and once you do there's no denying it's much more convenient to work with in so many respects. Twisting knobs with a mouse is pretty intuitive if you ask me, and saves you from all that reaching!

Genuine thread (but with a ''notorious'' title).

Axiomstatic, for consoles have a look at this:
http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/alexb/consoles.htm

If you haven't read this thread on Gearslutz already, check it out:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... tored.html

It's a long thread, the OP explains that gain staging is critical to achieving a good ITB mix (which is perfectly possible, btw). The next 200 pages debate said advice. It's as good a place as any to find out if hardware or software is "better".

My take: I use a hybrid setup, not because one is better than the other but because it's what I like to use. Some of my software only mixes sound as good as hardware, it usually depends on the amount of effort I put in to the finished product and the quality of the track to begin with.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

One other point I was going to make.

$6000 for a single compressor (which I'm sure if very nice) could be invested in a full suite of plugins required for ITB only mixing. Obviously it's not a decision to be made just because plugins are cheaper than hardware, just something to consider before purchasing the next compressor.

There is an interview in the latest SOS with about mixing for film. These guys are using a combination of hardware and software for various tasks. They mentioned having 6 Bricasti reverb units (!) and a huge number of high end mics so this not the type of environment where compromises have to be made yet they seem perfectly happy using software compressors and EQ's for the mix.
... space is the place ...

Once upon a time, I was playing live in a bar, and there were these 2 drunk guys right in front of me. One said to the other that he was going to throw his beer over my keyboard. I heard what he said, and I leaned towards him and told him "do that, and I'll break the synth right on your head!". The other guy,(probably not so drunk as his friend) discouraged him from the idea and took him away from me. Moral of the story -- If I had threatened him with breaking a software plugin in his head, it probably wouldn't have made him change his mind, so at least in this situation, hardware was clearly better than software... :-D
...and hey, TRUE STORY !
Last edited by Axis1~SL61 on Sun May 25, 2014 8:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

My advice would be that you simply force yourself to do a few mixes with software only. If you still prefer the hardware workflow, you should maybe stick with it.
If you are just trying a new method for a few minutes and think "I'm way faster using my old method!", you are not really genuinely comparing the two.
Of course your old workflow is more efficient at the moment, you have probably been using it for years.
Stuff like this needs time.
After a few weeks you may be surprised by the advantages! There will, of course, also be disadvantages.

Regarding sound:
There is good sounding software and bad sounding software, just as there is good and bad hardware (Good and bad is of course 100% subjective! Not 99%, but 100%!).
So there is absolutely no reason to use hardware for the sound alone anymore imo, especially when it comes to mixing.
It may take some time to find the stuff you like.
My advice here would be to ignore the internet and simply download some demos and decide what you like yourself.
I'm often using stuff which other people seem to dislike a lot :hihi:

Just try to find the stuff that suits you most soundwise.

Cheers
Dennis

Bronto Scorpio wrote:I'm often using stuff which other people seem to dislike a lot :hihi:
Until we find out what you're using!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”