What's the deal with hearthis.at?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi ppl,

So I somehow got to this site. It looks to have its design inspired from Soundcloud, but instead of having a time limit for user content it has (for the free accounts) a number of plays as limit (8000 for free) before you can't do anymore uploads. However they say that whatever's been already uploaded is not subject to any limitation.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts or concerns? Please share your experience! :phones:

I'm not sure but it seems now that it is being run by only two people, so it's at the very beginning of its life.

Could this turn into a real alternative platform for Soundcloud? They say that paying customers can choose their bitrate and sound quality for the player.

More info:
http://hearthis.at/premium/
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

That looks interesting and a possible alternative to SoundCloud limited audio quality. Thanks for the info.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

I saw this 3 or 4 months ago. It seems to have progressed a bit since then. There are quite a few names that I recognise on there. I'll check it out further.

It seems to work. I just signed up for a free account. Paid accounts cost either 1 or 2 Euros per month, depending upon what you want.

Holy Amadeus, it's from Austria! :o

The only thing that I don't like are these listening & download limits. Because I cannot control how many times a song will be listened to or downloaded, and if I'm above the limit, they'll ask for money...

I just got an email from them. They are currently reworking the UI. It goes live on Friday 13th.

I see they have implemented a configurable feed. Something we've been asking Soundcloud for, but which didn't happen.

There doesn't appear to be any info on the default mp3 quality for the free account. Paying for this kind of thing interests me not at all, I would rather _have_ a website.

I will make an account there soon.
It's seems a good idea that one can just import the music from one's soundcloud account.

jancivil wrote:There doesn't appear to be any info on the default mp3 quality for the free account. Paying for this kind of thing interests me not at all, I would rather _have_ a website.
The default quality for streaming MP3s is 128 kbps; if you're a paid member, you can choose higher (or lower) bit-rates.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

It's a German based company (Chemnitz) with similar features like Soundcloud. Some stuff is better (pro account allows to select different streaming quality up to 320kbs). The player can be embedded in Facebook but is this time a bit buggy (they working on this stuff).
Afaik they don't have a similar feature like "groups" (or I have not found it), which is very interesting to cross post own tracks to people with a interest for a similar style. They have not this "Spotlight" feature but tracks can be manually sorted with drag & drop so the result is similar.
Afaik it's a alternative to Soundcloud but the user base is too small. So this time it's in my opinion not a replacement but it can be used side by side with Soundcloud.

darsho wrote:I will make an account there soon.
It's seems a good idea that one can just import the music from one's soundcloud account.
Where did you see something about "importing" music from your SoundCloud account?

Ideally, you'll want to upload the best possible original you can, and not rely on what SoundCloud's compression has done when creating your MP3 stream. Even SoundCloud recommends uploading .WAV files, and not MP3s, since they convert your MP3 into a .WAV to convert it back into an MP3 at the bit-rate they want for streaming.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Importing from Soundcloud only works if the file is enabled for download (same with official.fm which is supported too).

With my tests there is no difference if uploading Wav/Flac or a high quality 320kbs CBR file. The streaming quality after re-encoding to 128kbs is similar. This is more interesting with hearthis because they allow higher rates in the pro account where it makes sense to upload a lossless format like Wav (Flac is not supported).

4damind wrote:With my tests there is no difference if uploading Wav/Flac or a high quality 320kbs CBR file
I didn't hear much difference either, but some people have complained about what they feel SoundCloud's compression did to the low-end in their mixes. When I e-mailed SC about a different issue, I asked, and was told that for best results, files should be uploaded in a lossless compression format, due to the conversions SC does to the file. (Apparently, they'd had problems with people uploading 128 kbps files that they'd also put onto their phones; those files didn't "convert" very well.)

And I agree that the user base is currently too small. Hopefully, it will grow and give the folks at SC a better reason to listen to their users!

Steve

planetearth wrote: It's seems a good idea that one can just import the music from one's soundcloud account.
Where did you see something about "importing" music from your SoundCloud account?[/quote]

On the starting page of heathis.at , it's written there quite big for all to see.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”