Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This track is my first new piece of beat-driven electronica for 14 months. It was quite a difficult piece to make after such a long period of relative inactivity, and the routing/mix was more convoluted than anything I had previously attempted. Quite a long kit-list this time.

EDIT:20220330 - removed mp3 link

on SoundCloud:-

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/tang-dynasty

Devices used:-

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7 (various betas and the final release)
Mastered in T-Racks 3

AaltoCM
Chinee Guzheng Classic
Rapture
z3ta+
Firebird
Microtonic
Mini Dizi
Mini Erhu
Polyiblit
MicroTrance
KickLab XXL
Drum Sampler
Shimmer
REFLEX Free
Camelspace
CSR
SLVR Exciter
AnarchyRhythms
Turnado
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 8

EDIT:20220330 - Remixed in September 2021 - I made a few minor panning adjustments, tweaked the EQ settings for all instruments, using EQuivocate to clean up a couple of resonant hotspots. I made a few minor levelling adjustments and replaced FerricTDS with Satin on the master bus. The track was then mastered in T-Racks5 for album release in March 2022

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/tang ... ks5-master

Recorded in EnergyXT2.7 beta4/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7/Mastered in T-Racks 5

AaltoCM
Chinee Guzheng Classic
Rapture
z3ta+
Firebird
Microtonic
Mini Dizi
Mini Erhu
Polyiblit
MicroTrance
KickLab XXL
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Shimmer
REFLEX Free
Camelspace
CSR Plate
EQuivocate
SLVR Exciter
AnarchyRhythms
Turnado
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 9
Last edited by seismic1 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The arrangement is working very well since the 9 minutes went by quickly.
I find the sound of your mix very pleasing and the composition likewise.

There is a lot going on but it all seems to make sense.

Well done Tim :clap:

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

really lovely work Seismic !

terrific sounding mix
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

sbj wrote:The arrangement is working very well since the 9 minutes went by quickly.
I find the sound of your mix very pleasing and the composition likewise.

There is a lot going on but it all seems to make sense.

Well done Tim :clap:

Cheers :tu:
Thanks very much for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

This one almost maxed 1 core on my i5 system. Fortunately, I didn't need to freeze any tracks :wink:

Great track. I enjoyed the intricate old school sequencing.

Excellent mix with enough space for all of the parts.

I liked all of the sounds. Massive bass. Cool ethnic instruments. The piglet was either missing or stir fried enough to be tasty. :)

It must be nice to focus on new material. Does this mean all of the older pieces are complete?

This tune has a very cinematic feel to it. Love your choice of sounds and the different moods you go through. The mix is very punchy. I definitely felt like the song took me on a little journey.

Mister Natural wrote:really lovely work Seismic !

terrific sounding mix
Thanks very much for the comments, and for listening. I'm glad that you liked it :)

Frantz wrote:Great track. I enjoyed the intricate old school sequencing.

Excellent mix with enough space for all of the parts.

I liked all of the sounds. Massive bass. Cool ethnic instruments. The piglet was either missing or stir fried enough to be tasty. :)

It must be nice to focus on new material. Does this mean all of the older pieces are complete?
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Frantz. Glad you enjoyed it :) I hope you spotted the double entendre in the title :)

I may return to anagrammatic devices for the remaining Concert Rust tracks.

The mix was quite involved, but I didn't encounter any major difficulties, except for the complexities introduced with the rather convoluted routing. In the end, it was just a matter of taking my time and following the process in a logical manner.

I'm fattening the piglet up for Christmas.

All of the old pieces are now complete, so I'm finished with the remixes at last, but I'm glad that I went through that process. It taught me a lot, and not just about mixing :wink:

Fantastic track Tim. Really like the oriental feel to it. Full of well chosen sounds and another top composition! Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Congrats Tim, it took a while, but you've made it through the back catalogue!

That opening was a stunner, and of course I could have it go on in that vein for a while. I love the rhthmic interference of the synths you bring in and there are some fabulous bass/pad things happening. The kick that comes in at 2:34 sounds a bit clipped… could be me?

While I think some of the longer, sparse arp passages work in a cinematic sense, I'd love to hear a more condensed arrangement as well.

I think the only part that didn't work for me was the ending. It seems somewhat abrupt, as if you felt you had gone on long enough and had to bring things to a close.

Aside from that, top stuff as always Tim. :tu:
Image Image

ecamburn wrote:This tune has a very cinematic feel to it. Love your choice of sounds and the different moods you go through. The mix is very punchy. I definitely felt like the song took me on a little journey.
Thanks for listening and for the comments. Glad you liked it, and glad it took you somewhere :)

Excellent. Especially like the first few minutes, but I really enjoyed the whole thing. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Nice tune Tim !

Indeed very cinematic. It´s like a chinese starship in outer space
chasing E.T ;-)
I am with Poly and the more condensed arrangement,
but E.T. is seemingly tough to get a hold of :)

(( D ))

GREAT work! A++ from me.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

seismic1 wrote: I hope you spotted the double entendre in the title :)
Hmmm. I'm having trouble with this one. Any hints?
seismic1 wrote: (from SoundCloud)

The sequencing was quite rigidly structured and "composed". I would love to try something "looser", like Ricochet Part 1, but I have think something like that would really work better done with hardware.
I think you can do all the classic TD step sequencing tricks including ratcheting (repeats) with Rax'n'Trax. I use it as a primitive DAW and generate a MIDI file which I then import into my regular DAW. When used in this way, there is no way to capture the MIDI of a sequencing jam session. However, it is now also available as a VST so I guess it should be possible to record the MIDI as you tweak it. I never tried running it in VST mode. I have to warn you that it has a weird, unintuitive GUI.

Return to “Music Cafe”