One-Synth-Challenge 63: VOPM (Ended)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VOPM

z.prime wrote:Silly question... seems like I must have missed something: does anyone know where to specify the pitch bend range for the PB wheel on either VOPM version?
AFAIK you can't :cry:

and now MY turn for a question :hyper:

Regarding the "no sampling the synth" rule ... Does that mean that we can't copy/paste phrases in our DAW? ... I don't see the difference between doing that in the MIDI track/piano roll and doing that to a rendered out .wav file. :scared: .. .. except that makes it a real PITA if I want to change some phrasing or arrangement. .. I'd hafta go back to the file with all the MIDI tracks, adjust there, then re-render that MIDI track down ....
I'm really really hoping that's not the intent of this rule.

Similarly, I've taken one track and copied it, then shifted it VERY VERY slightly off-beat with its "parent" track. I could easily do this in the MIDI editor as well, but then I'd hafta render down that track twice: once for unshifted, and once for the slightly shifted one. It just makes more sense and is more efficient to do it the way I've done it, and it doesn't alter the sound I get at all. It would sound the same if I did it in the piano roll, so I'm not altering the sound of the synth at all there.

EDIT: I did it this way because I originally created the song and laid it out in LMMS .. and then moved all the rendered-down tracks into Reaper for mixing and whatnot. So to make changes in phrasing etc, I'd hafta go back into LMMS and re-work from that file. ... which would suck
Last edited by artao on Sat May 24, 2014 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

https://soundcloud.com/loris-solic/loris-ds-steamroller

Created using 45+ instances of VOPM, maybe a few more because of layering, I layered then rendered the sound so as to not waste precious CPU.
Created in REAPER

I hated the fact that I could not automate anything except my native DAW effects. VOPM here has no automation. except portamento using MIDI CC - which took me until two days prior to this submission to figure out.

recomp
reaeq
reaxcomp
stereogate(rea)
Meqalizer
MGA js limiter (rea)
ReaGate
MstereoExpander
TalDub
tal Reverb
Reaverb
TDRfeedback Compressor
ixox delay
FerricTDS

artao wrote:It just makes more sense and is more efficient to do it the way I've done it, and it doesn't alter the sound I get at all. It would sound the same if I did it in the piano roll, so I'm not altering the sound of the synth at all there.
If that's 100% the case, sounds good.

editing...

z.prime wrote:Silly question... seems like I must have missed something: does anyone know where to specify the pitch bend range for the PB wheel on either VOPM version?
Hey got it to work here:
I basically told my DAW to set CC100 and CC101 values of 0. Then told it to send a value to CC6 - not exactly sure what 0-96 specifies, but it works.

Manual text (In case anyone wants to see) + Daw screenshot:

Wow I had this typed up in a browser window, forgot to hit send. Winblows crashed. Restarted and Chrome kept the text!
artao wrote:Regarding the "no sampling the synth" rule ... Does that mean that we can't copy/paste phrases in our DAW? ... I don't see the difference between doing that in the MIDI track/piano roll and doing that to a rendered out .wav file. :scared: .. .. except that makes it a real PITA if I want to change some phrasing or arrangement. .. I'd hafta go back to the file with all the MIDI tracks, adjust there, then re-render that MIDI track down ....
I'm really really hoping that's not the intent of this rule.
I believe the intent of the rule is to prevent sampling individual hits. So, take for example a synth that might have free-running oscillators or LFOs, making it very hard to get a consistent sound because of it (for example, a kick drum)... but every now and then, things line up so you get a great kick, so you may be tempted to sample that and use that best single-shot sample as part of a percussion kit. But really, the synth doesn't exactly allow you to do that so you've circumvented a limitation of the synth. Might not be my preference for making tracks but seems to fit with the nature of the contest (for me, I layer LOTS of instances for my drums often and kill my CPU before I can even get to the real sounds and refuse to sample down to tracks because I constantly tweak things... haha :dog:).

However, sampling full-phrases (for CPU reasons, at least) is allowed, as Brian already said.

z.prime wrote:Wow I had this typed up in a browser window, forgot to hit send. Winblows crashed. Restarted and Chrome kept the text!
LOL yeah .. I think we've all had that happen.

z.prime wrote:I believe the intent of the rule is to prevent sampling individual hits. So, take for example a synth that might have free-running oscillators or LFOs, making it very hard to get a consistent sound because of it (for example, a kick drum)... but every now and then, things line up so you get a great kick, so you may be tempted to sample that and use that best single-shot sample as part of a percussion kit. But really, the synth doesn't exactly allow you to do that so you've circumvented a limitation of the synth. Might not be my preference for making tracks but seems to fit with the nature of the contest (for me, I layer LOTS of instances for my drums often and kill my CPU before I can even get to the real sounds and refuse to sample down to tracks because I constantly tweak things... haha :dog:).

However, sampling full-phrases (for CPU reasons, at least) is allowed, as Brian already said.
Allright, cool. That's what I was thinking (and hoped) .. Altho, just to be on the safe side I already went back into LMMS and re-worked a few things. Now I've got everything back in Reaper -- which seems to be much more CPU efficient. I only had like 14 VOPM's running in LMMS, and only had effects added to a couple of those, and it was getting difficult to work smoothly.
It is nice to know tho that I can shift stuff around a bit -- if needed -- without going back in to LMMS to edit the MIDI directly. :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to answer such n00by questions z.prime .. this is my first OSC. :D :hug:

artao wrote:Thanks for taking the time to answer such n00by questions
No problem. We were all n00bs once. :)

I was intending to write a drum and bass tune but ended up with something totally different... I think this track contains all the cliche FM sounds! (bells, slap bass, electric pianos etc.)

Enjoy

http://soundcloud.com/pedalsteeldrummer ... esandcream
A nostalgia-tinged summer-time tune. (Strawberries and cream is a traditional English summer dessert).

TRACK NOTES:

Created for the KVR One-Synth-Challenge 63: VOPM.

All sounds from Sam's VOPM synthesiser chip emulation plugin. I used a mixture of my own presets and those from the community pack.

20 instances of VOPM. Mixed/mastered in Cockos Reaper 4.61/64 with native fx (ReaEQ, ReaComp, ReaGate, ReaDelay) and free fx (Voxengo Marvel GEQ / OldSkoolVerb, Klanghelm IVGI, Sonalksis FreeG Stereo, Vladislav Goncharov Molot / Limiter No6).

DR9
http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/en/our-aim
better and more dynamic sound

Yup DR9 - all the great FM sounds are there ... really has that summer feel- great track. I like it a lot!

Rob

Entry:

https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/bh9090-exposed-vopm

34 instances of VOPM
Abusive use of Tal Reverb-2
Camel Crusher
Live 9 with Saturaton, Reverb and EQ8

As someone else said, lack of automation was a bummer, and the MIDI CC stuff was odd. I had a lot of crashes when a new track would receive a MIDI note. Never really figured out what that was about. Also I was dying to use some chorus and phaser.

I'm a little unclear on bouncing/ rendering. Is at acceptable to bounce down percussion sounds and load them in a drum rack/ sampler if you leave the sound unchanged?? Just to save CPU? (EDIT: disregard - I just read the posts above)
Last edited by bh9090 on Sun May 25, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bh9090 wrote:I'm a little unclear on bouncing/ rendering. Is at acceptable to bounce down percussion sounds and load them in a drum rack/ sampler if you leave the sound unchanged?? Just to save CPU?
My interpretation of that rule explained just a few posts back in this thread. ;)
(Aside: I would definitely vote for allowing sampled hits, though)

z.prime wrote:
bh9090 wrote:I'm a little unclear on bouncing/ rendering. Is at acceptable to bounce down percussion sounds and load them in a drum rack/ sampler if you leave the sound unchanged?? Just to save CPU?
My interpretation of that rule explained just a few posts back in this thread. ;)
(Aside: I would definitely vote for allowing sampled hits, though)
Ah - you responded before I edited my post. Do you sleep Mr. Prime?

bh9090 wrote:... Do you sleep Mr. Prime?
Not much. I really should be sleeping now, though... *sigh*.

bh9090 wrote:Is at acceptable to bounce down percussion sounds and load them in a drum rack/ sampler if you leave the sound unchanged?? Just to save CPU? (EDIT: disregard - I just read the posts above)
You can load synth instances directly into Live drum rack and play kick, snare etc by different VOPM instances. If that would be OK with the rules, or not?
: : vokje : : oxebe : :

Return to “Instruments”