Is it possible to edit audio and render in Ableton Live like in Pro Tools?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to be able to highlight a section of recorded audio and use a VST to tweak it... for example EQ or de-noise or simply reduce the volume of only that small section. Is this even possible on Live 9? Or would I have to create a new track, add effect to it and automate just the section I want tweaked (long!)? Thanks.

Are you talking about applying Audiosuite effects to a selection directly from the menus, ie offline rendering of a new clip ?

I dont believe you can do that the same way in Live, though I could be mistaken.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Here's what I think you're trying to do...

So you've got a vocal part or something, and you want to denoise a certain part and not the others, so you might duplicate the track, looping the section you want to alter, then figure out your denoise settings, followed by freezing, flattening, and reimporting with a crossfade into the original track.

One other setting might be to go into your VST making the necessary adjustments on the track, followed by just automating the on/off button for that specific part. This might be easiest depending on the material and the adjustments.

Let me know if I'm hitting the mark or not.
:D

Yes that is true but it seems so labor intensive, not to mention how it will clutter up already complex project by creating those new tracks. I can't believe I've never seen this type of effect usage in any DAW except pro tools, it seems like a common-sense type thing to have.

Does the cheapest version of Pro Tools have this also? Because it might make sense to work in Ableton Live in conjunction with Pro Tools when mixing/mastering.

Ableton Live is an amazing DAW for composition, it really blows my mind how easy it is to create fantastic tracks by using session view and arrangement view together compared to other DAWs such as Cubase where I always get writers block.

I also love the real time tempo changes, because sometimes when I record a guitar track I want to slow it down for compositional purposes so I can hear harmonies correctly of a new track I'm writing to superimpose. Last time I checked other DAWs needed to process tempo changes on audio tracks, whilst in live you just turn down the tempo and it shifts instantly irregardless of whether it's audio or MIDI.

So does the most recent version of Cubase 7 have this feature that Pro Tools has? Might be worth getting that instead. Thanks.

You can launch an external sample editor by clicking the edit button on audio clips.

mm66554 wrote: I can't believe I've never seen this type of effect usage in any DAW except pro tools, it seems like a common-sense type thing to have.
ProTools in particular came from being aimed at audio editing and post-production. Newer DAWs, very much including Ableton, came from being aimed at composition and song creation, and less about audio editing.

I dont know which DAWs you've used, but Sonar and Cubase certainly have this, and most audio editors like Soundforge still do AFAIK.

mm66554 wrote:Yes that is true but it seems so labor intensive, not to mention how it will clutter up already complex project by creating those new tracks. I can't believe I've never seen this type of effect usage in any DAW except pro tools, it seems like a common-sense type thing to have.
So does the most recent version of Cubase 7 have this feature that Pro Tools has? Might be worth getting that instead. Thanks.
I think most DAWs have audio editing directly. IE., you select a region of audio and apply a plugin to it, creating a new copy offline, or destructively altering the original if you prefer. Cubase definitely has since I've been using it, SX1.

blackflag wrote:You can launch an external sample editor by clicking the edit button on audio clips.
^ this
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

It's kinda crazy that all "mature" audio workstations don't have real time clip level FX inserts. Everything being talked about here sounds like a workaround compared to that.

It makes me wonder, since so few seem to do it, what's so technologically challenging about it, adding it.

LawrenceF wrote:real time clip level FX inserts
not working out which adjectives to pin to which nouns, so not sure what you mean by that...

real-time clip-level-FX inserts
real time-clip level-FX inserts
real-time-clip level FX-inserts

eg clip as in 'audio' or 'level' real as in 'time' or as in 'genuine', etc etc

sorry.

whyterabbyt wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:real time clip level FX inserts
not working out which adjectives to pin to which nouns, so not sure what you mean by that...

real-time clip-level-FX inserts
real time-clip level-FX inserts
real-time-clip level FX-inserts

eg clip as in 'audio' or 'level'
also real as in 'time' or as in 'genuine', etc etc

sorry.

:hihi: Real time (as opposed to offline processed) clip level (as opposed to track level) FX Inserts (inserted audio plugins).

Otherwise known as per item fx. :hihi:

I'm not sure of the differences between PT 11 HD and regular PT11 but you can apply effects to clips as well as use effects through the mixer like a traditional daw. One thing that has become invaluable to me in PT11 is recording internal tracks in realtime, So I can tweak AAX instruments and record it realtime. Even multi out instruments. I just set up Reaktor as a multi out instrument and press record and tweak away and audio gets recorded onto it's separate tracks. Usually I would have to record automation and then bounce in other daws. I haven't been able to do that in Logic or Cubase and I'm not sure if you can in Ableton but it's very handy.

tonkatodd wrote: I can tweak AAX instruments and record it realtime. Even multi out instruments. I just set up Reaktor as a multi out instrument and press record and tweak away and audio gets recorded onto it's separate tracks. Usually I would have to record automation and then bounce in other daws. I haven't been able to do that in Logic or Cubase and I'm not sure if you can in Ableton but it's very handy.
In Cubase you have to set up a group channel as the waystation to an audio track. So Reaktor: Instrumental Channel's output(s) to 'Record Reaktor Group(s)' and now a record-armed Audio track with that/those Group(s) as input. Then you record your live tweakage.

Samplitude.

'Nuff said ;)

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”