PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Begin off-Topic:
Maomoondog wrote:Off topic- but speaking of Layzer - I am still hoping for an OBX-a skin for the amazing OBXD :pray: :wink:
... and my "gold and rubis" skin for my wife...
Resume off-Topic
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:Begin off-Topic:
Maomoondog wrote:Off topic- but speaking of Layzer - I am still hoping for an OBX-a skin for the amazing OBXD :pray: :wink:
... and my "gold and rubis" skin for my wife...
Resume off-Topic
Indeed, that is one stunning skin :tu:

Proceed "On topic"

Martin, thanks for continuing your work on PG-8X!

About the GUI:
martin_l wrote: I was even considering making a two-size switchable GUI. Need to investigate how difficult this would be...
Martin
Yes, please. Would be great for big and small display users.
Last edited by RexXx on Thu May 29, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

If you have parameters value underneath each slider like the old version, GUI size should not be that important.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

As I see the preset loading/saving features being amidst changes right now, I have a related question. For the old pg8x-1.02a there was a factory preset bank (factory.fxb). I went through the trouble of manually entering/rearranging/naming the presets, saved them individually and as a new bank for the new beta couple of versions ago. There's been some changes after that so the latest beta (23-05) won't load that bank nor the individual presets correctly. This is all fine, I knew the risk of doing all that while the development is still going on.

But I´d like to ask if there would be any point going through the same ordeal again for the latest beta, or are there still some changes left which will leave the newly created presets invalid later on? Also, does anybody know if the original JX8P factory presets are available as syx files anywhere? That would leave out the trouble of manually editing every preset, as long as syx loading works. All the old syx preset banks I've seen so far don't actually have the factory presets even while claiming so?

I would've already gone around the issue by doing syx export with the older beta, but that feature doesn't work there, so a bit of a catch-22.

subterfuge wrote:As I see the preset loading/saving features being amidst changes right now, I have a related question. For the old pg8x-1.02a there was a factory preset bank (factory.fxb). I went through the trouble of manually entering/rearranging/naming the presets, saved them individually and as a new bank for the new beta couple of versions ago. There's been some changes after that so the latest beta (23-05) won't load that bank nor the individual presets correctly. This is all fine, I knew the risk of doing all that while the development is still going on.

But I´d like to ask if there would be any point going through the same ordeal again for the latest beta, or are there still some changes left which will leave the newly created presets invalid later on? Also, does anybody know if the original factory presets are available as syx files anywhere? That would leave out the trouble of manually editing every preset, as long as syx loading works. All the old syx preset banks I've seen so far don't actually have the factory presets even while claiming so?

I would've already gone around the issue by doing syx export with the older beta, but that feature doesn't work there, so a bit of a catch-22.
Please, bear with me at the moment. As I was indicating, I am currently redesigning the preset system, and might even completely change the file format from fxp/fxb to some own format.

I am planning to implement an import of old 1.02a fxb banks at some point, but that will be tedious, as I have to decode the fxb files (which are generated by the host from chunks provided by Synthedit under the hood) in order to write import routines.

I do have an unpublished version (1.04) which does send Sysex on program changes. I will upload that into the dropbox when I come back to my machine on which I have this version.

Cheers,
Martin

Thanks Martin. Whatever way things get worked out, I surely can wait in the meanwhile. For me the preset bank workout was more to get to know the synth engine better, I've done that with some other VSTis also. But now that I've done that, I don't want to try entering the presets again just for the sake of having them in new beta, I remember you said earlier that the factory banks will be there anyway once the synth is ready. That is fine with me.

Where exactly does one go to download the latest version?

I went to the website linked in the first post but it looks like theres only the old SE version there?

karol wrote: It would be great to see new GUI. I don't like current GUI at all and I belive that many users share my view. I mean.. the quality of images and text is poor... especially if you compare it to this:

http://www.rockendorf.de/image/ScreenshotEditor.jpg
http://apps4idevices.com/data/o0/images ... 02-001.jpg
http://kentai.ch/wp-content/uploads/201 ... G_0044.png

(I love the latter)

Best
--Karol
as Martin refines the audio Engine, i am also making refinements to the GUI i pitched to him a few pages ago...which currently looks like this. Still need to work on the small fonts to make them more readable. when Martin is ready, we may see it implemented 8)

Last edited by layzer on Fri May 30, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Way too much empty space on the right side of the GUI... That should definitely be remedied.

EvilDragon wrote:Way too much empty space on the right side of the GUI... That should definitely be remedied.
absolutely agree! if matrtin changes the placement of the sliders in that area to higher and more tothe left, it would indeed make better use of the space :idea:

Just an idea. I'm not a graphic designer, so please don't shoot. I moved the right side up left and stretched the bottom part. I think those faders could maybe align with the faders on upper parts as well to make the overall appearance more uniform?

subterfuge wrote:Just an idea. I'm not a graphic designer, so please don't shoot. I moved the right side up left and stretched the bottom part. I think those faders could maybe align with the faders on upper parts as well to make the overall appearance more uniform?
that looks great! :tu:

That was a nice compliment coming from someone who actually makes these GUIs, thanks layzer. Then again, the graphic elements I so crudely moved around were already looking good by themselves. ;)

But tiny black text on a bright red button doesn't make for easy reading.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Instruments”