Ableton Live 9

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, so this is probably going to be quite hard to explain.
I'm just starting to use Ableton Live 9, but I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm in session view and have a vocal that I want to use. The vocal clip has no silence at the start, and comes in instantly. However, I want the vocal to start on the second beat of the bar. I can't work out how to stagger the vocal so that it doesn't start on the first beat as soon as the scene is activated. Is there a way around this in session view? Obviously it's easily done in arrange view, because you would just move the clip along slightly, but this does not appear to be possible in session view.
Can anyone help???

You bet:

Double click the clip, then down in the Wav editor you can drag the Start marker bar (just under the Loop bar) to the left as far as you need and it'll adjust the start point.
You'll need to drag the Loop bar too if you want to have silence at the beginning of every loop, otherwise it'll just loop the original recording.

Or, double click the clip, go to to loop position (left where all the options are), arrow click how long before the loop starts that you want (ie, -1) then have the clip length be what you want. It's easier than dragging around because at least here, it doesn't snap when doing that (though there might be a control I'll not aware of)

Thanks guy! The first option of dragging the start locator is what I was trying, but it wouldn't drag any further than the start of the audio clip. The second option of changing the loop position in the controls worked, and was exactly what I was looking for. Can't believe I didn't try that myself!
Thanks for the help!

Glad you got it sorted.

I've got another issue now relating to this. When I extend the clip to -1 bars, I can't then set the -1 to 1.1.1, like you usually can. So when I don't start the scene from the beginning, and just try to play from the middle or something, the vocal is out of time because 1.1.1 isn't set at the start of the clip. I've tried to make the best sense I can of this explanation. Hopefully someone will know what I mean.

maybe follow actions would help

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”