Broken dongle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So my dongle who helped me the last 5 years, suddenly without any warning broke in two when I moved it to my laptop. I've been able to switch to newer versions of the Korg plugins I've got who doesn't rely on a dongle, but sadly Nexus2 does. I asked for a new activation key, but they need the dongle to prove that I actually own Nexus and have the key on it.

So has anyone here had this happened before? How long did it take for you to send it from Europe to Canada to get this sorted out?
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

Shipping from Europe to Canada can take a week (happily it is quite cheap). And count on the same duration from Canada to Europe.

And probably one week also between their reception and their new expedition.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Perhaps another solution (I don't know but...)

Find a music shop in town (not by internet) which sales Nexus (or other products of reFX) and ask them if they can certify themselves to reFX that your USB dongle is really out of order...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

No stores in Sweden sell reFX products. AFAIK.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

jobromedia wrote:No stores in Sweden sell reFX products. AFAIK.
So... there won't be any other solution than ship the dongle and wait during a few weeks...
:?

jobromedia wrote:So my dongle who helped me the last 5 years, suddenly without any warning broke in two when I moved it to my laptop. I've been able to switch to newer versions of the Korg plugins I've got who doesn't rely on a dongle, but sadly Nexus2 does. I asked for a new activation key, but they need the dongle to prove that I actually own Nexus and have the key on it.

So has anyone here had this happened before? How long did it take for you to send it from Europe to Canada to get this sorted out?
What do you actually mean by broke - is it not possible to buy another dongle and transfer the licenses to the new on in any way?

breakmixer wrote: What do you actually mean by broke - is it not possible to buy another dongle and transfer the licenses to the new on in any way?
I was thinking the same thing. A few years back, I nearly obliterated my dongle when I forgot that it was parked in my computer's front/top USB port and turned it over to do some repairs. Despite being bent nearly 90 degrees and the dongle's housing shattered into several pieces, it still worked. I taped it back together, moved it to a USB hub (highly recommended), and used it for years before finally transferring the licenses to a new dongle. Try that route first, if you can. It's very easy to transfer the licenses to a new dongle using the eLicenser software.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Broken as in: The back just came free from the USB connector.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

jobromedia wrote:Broken as in: The back just came free from the USB connector.
I broke my USB-eLicenser!

You need to buy a new empty USB-eLicenser.
Please make sure that the defective key has been registered in MySteinberg before contacting us for any license replacement.
The new activation code(s) can then be downloaded to the new USB-eLicenser using the License Control Center.

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... oting.html

breakmixer wrote:
Info below from Steinberg:

Please make sure that the defective key has been registered in MySteinberg before contacting us for any license replacement.
The new activation code(s) can then be downloaded to the new USB-eLicenser using the License Control Center.

cryophonik wrote:
breakmixer wrote: What do you actually mean by broke - is it not possible to buy another dongle and transfer the licenses to the new on in any way?
I was thinking the same thing. A few years back, I nearly obliterated my dongle when I forgot that it was parked in my computer's front/top USB port and turned it over to do some repairs. Despite being bent nearly 90 degrees and the dongle's housing shattered into several pieces, it still worked. I taped it back together, moved it to a USB hub (highly recommended), and used it for years before finally transferring the licenses to a new dongle. Try that route first, if you can. It's very easy to transfer the licenses to a new dongle using the eLicenser software.
This happened to me as well with my cubase 5 dongle. It's working fine taped, but it's sitting in a drawer at the moment. I was able to easily transfer my arturia stuff from it to my new cubase dongle.

breakmixer wrote:

That only works for Steinberg products though, which is backed up through MySteinberg - for stuff from other companies it depends on their policy.

aMUSEd wrote:
breakmixer wrote:

That only works for Steinberg products though, which is backed up through MySteinberg - for stuff from other companies it depends on their policy.
I'm just wondering if he can in anyway temporarily fix it(with tape etc) just to do a transfer to the new dongle or not possible?

It might be - I've had USB keys where the plastic casing has completely come away but it was still possible to insert it in a USB port and transfer the data - as long as the metal parts are intact.

I just wish Steinberg would set up a service where they store license backups for all elicensor products - not just their own. After all there must be a database of all keys otherwise the system wouldn't work. I bet people would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for such a service.

Return to “Instruments”