9 Warning Signs of an Amateur Artist

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A interesting article I've found with very good and helpful points to be more successful as an artist.

http://skinnyartist.com/9-warning-signs ... ur-artist/

f**k that.

Makes some sense, doesn't say anything of long term. How many artists have tried hard, put long hours & made good commercial releases, got a lot of money, and suddenly they are uninspired. That's pathetic.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Reminds me of horoscopes.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

nasenmann wrote:f**k that.
+1

ya right... 'professional' means killing the art / artist when...

When art becomes product, when there is obligation to be successful, when you can't afford changing your sound... (think about changing the taste of coca-cola), when gigs are more important than creation, when the composer drives the music and not the other way around...

(ok, so I'm influenced by Vangelis :) )

Terrible article

um okay...I guess how to judge artists or how to's on how to be an artist should be a red flag to begin with...however, amateur vs professional artist? I dont want to get my head around that concept even if I could, but if I were to make an attempt probably one of the first things I would say is that the amateur would be one to quickly judge other artists...kinda like the article :shrug:

But then if you look at the words as they are (amateur and professional) there is some validity, an amateur does not make money where the pro does.
While a professional artist will make a point sit down and work on their art every day, an amateur only works on their art when the “mood” is right.
yes, if you are a professional and have producers and such breathing down your neck cracking the whip because they are in it for the money and you are a provisional...then yup, you cant wait for inspiration. It supports the notion that some of the main stream music that is being pumped out isn't all that. (I'm not prepared to say such a thing, to each his own and if that's how the author sees it so be it)

This generalization kinda blows my mind
8.) Amateur Artists are too busy learning to do anything

Amateur artists are often so busy reading books and attending workshops that they rarely have any time to create art. Professional artists know that there will always be more to learn but that does not stop them from making the mistakes and learning as they go along. They know that the best teacher is almost always experience, and the faster they make these mistakes, the sooner they will learn what they need to know.

Books, classes, and workshops are great as long as they don’t prevent you from actually creating your art. A professional doesn’t worry about knowing every technique in the book and doesn’t get bogged down by the “what-ifs”. They simply learn the basics and then get to work discovering what they need to know as they go along.
based on my experience the author has it backwards, I find that the less accomplished artist learns more from their mistakes, experiments more and is more likely to take chances. Many of the more accomplished artists (or professionals as described in the article) are the ones that attend classes, workshops and such, not to mention IME the more professional one becomes the less they are willing to say " I was wrong"...you cannot learn from your mistakes if you are not willing to admit your mistakes.

Of course this is just how I think, if this is how the author feels far be it for me to tell him I think he is wrong, just like I'm not going to take much from this article :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

You could pretty much say that many of the major artists of the 20th century are amateurs then as I can see a lot of traits of some very famous people here.

Complete bullshit article.

Erm.... Sounds like an amateur's article to me. There are so many things wrong with it, that I don't have the time to post. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

4damind wrote:A interesting article I've found with very good and helpful points to be more successful as an artist.

By that list, I am an amateur artist.

Especially by points 2, 4, 7 and 8.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

4damind wrote:A interesting article I've found with very good and helpful points to be more successful as an artist.

may I ask what your definition of a successful artist is?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Compyfox wrote:

You don't need any "list" for deciding that - if you don't get your living by selling your art, you are an amateur. BTW, its great to be an amateur, a real "lover of" (French/Latin word amateur) something you do. H.

Harry_HH wrote:
Compyfox wrote:

You don't need any "list" for deciding that - if you don't get your living by selling your art, you are an amateur. BTW, its great to be an amateur, a real "lover of" (French/Latin word amateur) something you do. H.
:tu: that's why I asked the question above to 4damind, I say it often but it's true...if I could go back and tell young Hink one thing it would be success in the arts is not about money, the thrill grows without commercial success and imho it changes as well...for the better. I think the most liberating feeling as an artist I have had is when I stopped worrying about being at the right shows, playing the right gear, worrying about my image, stopped making silly rules and concentrating on making it. When I realized that I thought I was over the hill I soon understood I had just reached a plateau and there are many more plateaus ahead before I reach the top of the hill...I have yet to peak :)

This article is very very good.

A professional artist does not simply sit down for an hour and write half a chapter or paint a few strokes on the canvas and call it a day because their favorite television show is starting in ten minutes.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Very good article, thanks for posting!
Finally!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”