What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

seismic1
KVRAF

6706 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Mon May 26, 2014 3:45 pm Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

This track is my first new piece of beat-driven electronica for 14 months. It was quite a difficult piece to make after such a long period of relative inactivity, and the routing/mix was more convoluted than anything I had previously attempted. Quite a long kit-list this time.

mp3/192Kbps/9:08/12.5MB

or, on SoundCloud:-

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/tang-dynasty

Devices used:-

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7 (various betas and the final release)
Mastered in T-Racks 3

AaltoCM
Chinee Guzheng Classic
Rapture
z3ta+
Firebird
Microtonic
Mini Dizi
Mini Erhu
Polyiblit
MicroTrance
KickLab XXL
Drum Sampler
Shimmer
REFLEX Free
Camelspace
CSR
SLVR Exciter
AnarchyRhythms
Turnado
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 8
sbj
KVRist

419 posts since 17 Aug, 2012, from Denmark

Postby sbj; Tue May 27, 2014 12:19 am Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

The arrangement is working very well since the 9 minutes went by quickly.
I find the sound of your mix very pleasing and the composition likewise.

There is a lot going on but it all seems to make sense.

Well done Tim :clap:

Cheers :tu:
“Shall we eat, or have a McDonalds” - David Allen -
Sound C loud
Band C amp
If You Like To Watch
Mister Natural
KVRian

1306 posts since 28 Oct, 2007, from michigan

Postby Mister Natural; Tue May 27, 2014 12:44 pm Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

really lovely work Seismic !

terrific sounding mix
an expert on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google

https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks
seismic1
KVRAF

Postby seismic1; Wed May 28, 2014 6:18 pm Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

sbj wrote:The arrangement is working very well since the 9 minutes went by quickly.
I find the sound of your mix very pleasing and the composition likewise.

There is a lot going on but it all seems to make sense.

Well done Tim :clap:

Cheers :tu:

Thanks very much for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

This one almost maxed 1 core on my i5 system. Fortunately, I didn't need to freeze any tracks :wink:
Frantz
KVRAF

2669 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Wed May 28, 2014 6:43 pm Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

Great track. I enjoyed the intricate old school sequencing.

Excellent mix with enough space for all of the parts.

I liked all of the sounds. Massive bass. Cool ethnic instruments. The piglet was either missing or stir fried enough to be tasty. :)

It must be nice to focus on new material. Does this mean all of the older pieces are complete?
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
ecamburn
KVRist

389 posts since 16 Dec, 2003

Postby ecamburn; Thu May 29, 2014 6:25 am Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

This tune has a very cinematic feel to it. Love your choice of sounds and the different moods you go through. The mix is very punchy. I definitely felt like the song took me on a little journey.
seismic1
KVRAF

Postby seismic1; Fri May 30, 2014 3:13 pm Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

Mister Natural wrote:really lovely work Seismic !

terrific sounding mix

Thanks very much for the comments, and for listening. I'm glad that you liked it :)
seismic1
KVRAF

Postby seismic1; Sat May 31, 2014 2:15 pm Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

Frantz wrote:Great track. I enjoyed the intricate old school sequencing.

Excellent mix with enough space for all of the parts.

I liked all of the sounds. Massive bass. Cool ethnic instruments. The piglet was either missing or stir fried enough to be tasty. :)

It must be nice to focus on new material. Does this mean all of the older pieces are complete?

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Frantz. Glad you enjoyed it :) I hope you spotted the double entendre in the title :)

I may return to anagrammatic devices for the remaining Concert Rust tracks.

The mix was quite involved, but I didn't encounter any major difficulties, except for the complexities introduced with the rather convoluted routing. In the end, it was just a matter of taking my time and following the process in a logical manner.

I'm fattening the piglet up for Christmas.

All of the old pieces are now complete, so I'm finished with the remixes at last, but I'm glad that I went through that process. It taught me a lot, and not just about mixing :wink:
Allomerus
KVRian

878 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:44 am Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

Fantastic track Tim. Really like the oriental feel to it. Full of well chosen sounds and another top composition! Well done! :)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.
polyslax
KVRAF

8036 posts since 11 Dec, 2003, from Canada

Postby polyslax; Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:24 am Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

Congrats Tim, it took a while, but you've made it through the back catalogue!

That opening was a stunner, and of course I could have it go on in that vein for a while. I love the rhthmic interference of the synths you bring in and there are some fabulous bass/pad things happening. The kick that comes in at 2:34 sounds a bit clipped… could be me?

While I think some of the longer, sparse arp passages work in a cinematic sense, I'd love to hear a more condensed arrangement as well.

I think the only part that didn't work for me was the ending. It seems somewhat abrupt, as if you felt you had gone on long enough and had to bring things to a close.

Aside from that, top stuff as always Tim. :tu:
Image Image
seismic1
KVRAF

Postby seismic1; Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:41 pm Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

ecamburn wrote:This tune has a very cinematic feel to it. Love your choice of sounds and the different moods you go through. The mix is very punchy. I definitely felt like the song took me on a little journey.

Thanks for listening and for the comments. Glad you liked it, and glad it took you somewhere :)
D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

8371 posts since 20 Jun, 2008

Postby D.H. Miltz; Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:35 pm Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

Excellent. Especially like the first few minutes, but I really enjoyed the whole thing. Thanks.
drumity
KVRian

937 posts since 28 May, 2007

Postby drumity; Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:20 pm Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

Nice tune Tim !

Indeed very cinematic. It´s like a chinese starship in outer space
chasing E.T ;-)
I am with Poly and the more condensed arrangement,
but E.T. is seemingly tough to get a hold of :)

(( D ))
Brother Charles
KVRian

730 posts since 2 Jan, 2012, from Alberta, Canada

Postby Brother Charles; Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

GREAT work! A++ from me.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook
Frantz
KVRAF

2669 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:06 pm Re: Tang Dynasty - ElectroProg (Seismic Activity)

seismic1 wrote:I hope you spotted the double entendre in the title :)

Hmmm. I'm having trouble with this one. Any hints?

seismic1 wrote: (from SoundCloud)

The sequencing was quite rigidly structured and "composed". I would love to try something "looser", like Ricochet Part 1, but I have think something like that would really work better done with hardware.

I think you can do all the classic TD step sequencing tricks including ratcheting (repeats) with Rax'n'Trax. I use it as a primitive DAW and generate a MIDI file which I then import into my regular DAW. When used in this way, there is no way to capture the MIDI of a sequencing jam session. However, it is now also available as a VST so I guess it should be possible to record the MIDI as you tweak it. I never tried running it in VST mode. I have to warn you that it has a weird, unintuitive GUI.
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
Next

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe