What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

3710 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:10 pm Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

So when your outside .. wear some friggin sunscreen.
This space is empty.
https://soundcloud.com/voratix
KVRAF

8872 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:20 pm Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

V0RT3X wrote:So when your outside .. wear some friggin sunscreen.
Unfortunately all these chemicals in sunscreen can cause skin cancer, too!

Better wear appropriate clothes and a huge sombrero! :idea:
KVRAF

19899 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:31 pm Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

Tricky-Loops wrote:

The usual suspect loony websites would have you believe that, as would the worst of the tabloid newspapers, but there's no large scale test that has proven that modern sunscreen causes cancer. In the past various ingredients have been removed because of health concerns, but in lieu of some well-researched and repeatable large scale tests with peer reviews I'd rather keep putting the sunscreen on that get skin cancer from overexposure to UVA radiation.
KVRAF

Postby Tricky-Loops; Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:37 pm Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

robojam wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:

The usual suspect loony websites would have you believe that, as would the worst of the tabloid newspapers, but there's no large scale test that has proven that modern sunscreen causes cancer. In the past various ingredients have been removed because of health concerns, but in lieu of some well-researched and repeatable large scale tests with peer reviews I'd rather keep putting the sunscreen on that get skin cancer from overexposure to UVA radiation.
Even Wikipedia admits that there are health risks of sunscreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_health_risks_of_sunscreen

Now I don't have the time to search every possible study, only to get them called "the usual loony studies"... :shrug:
KVRAF

19899 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:46 pm Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

Tricky-Loops wrote:
robojam wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:

Even Wikipedia admits that there are health risks of sunscreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_health_risks_of_sunscreen

Now I don't have the time to search every possible study, only to get them called "the usual loony studies"... :shrug:

1. Wikipedia admits nothing - remember that it is updated by anyone who has a valid email address and can thus create an account that allows them to edit it. That include any idiot who jumps on whatever bandwagon is currently fashionable.

2. Note that the article calls out lack of citations.

3. If you don't have time to research if studies are valid and meet the criteria for scientific acceptance, why would you make these statements?
KVRAF

2771 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:14 pm Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

:tu:

According to newspaper articles, everything causes cancer these days...
KVRAF

40140 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:09 pm Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

But let's keep some perspective here. That isn't to say they are not on the rise.
KVRAF

7470 posts since 2 Apr, 2002, from Austin, Texas, USA

Postby SyntheticAurality; Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 am Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

Is it due to more people out in the sun.. or just more people? If it's a'percentage of population" rise and not just raw numbers, definitely could be something to it.

I notice that here in Austin it's a serious trend for the college kids to wear as little as humanly possible any time the temp is about 80. Do that long enough and, yep, you're going to pay for those youthful magic moments.
KVRAF

Postby Tricky-Loops; Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:56 am Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

SyntheticAurality wrote:Is it due to more people out in the sun.. or just more people? If it's a'percentage of population" rise and not just raw numbers, definitely could be something to it.

I notice that here in Austin it's a serious trend for the college kids to wear as little as humanly possible any time the temp is about 80. Do that long enough and, yep, you're going to pay for those youthful magic moments.
Not only in Austin, that's a problem of all industrialized countries that many people don't pay attention to appropriate clothing anymore, losing common sense. I've seen many people "roasting" in the sun at lakes, beaches and on meadows without wearing more than a bathing suit, even in the midday hours. Maybe you can survive in Europe with this careless behavior many years, in Australia you wouldn't have a chance with it because of immense radiation, caused by the ozone hole.
KVRAF

6955 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:57 am Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

I have some sunscreen but am not using it until it gets hotter.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
KVRAF

Postby V0RT3X; Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:52 am Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

RunBeerRun wrote:I have some sunscreen but am not using it until it gets hotter.

I just bought 2 coppertone sport bottles each with 237ml and it cost me about 24 dollars. I could have gone the bulk route here, but i chose to get this stuff because I need something I know that will stay on me when im running long distances in the sun or in the rain.
This space is empty.
KVRAF

Postby Tricky-Loops; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:49 am Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

robojam wrote:If you don't have time to research if studies are valid and meet the criteria for scientific acceptance, why would you make these statements?
Because KVR isn't a science magazine! I made my point, and interested people can search for further studies themselves and decide whether it's better to use the appropriate clothing or sunscreen!
KVRAF

Postby V0RT3X; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:52 am Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

I'm not going to be running outside in a sweater and pants. I'll get freakin heatstroke
This space is empty.
KVRAF

1617 posts since 5 Nov, 2009

Postby arkmabat; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:53 am Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

I'm trying to figure out if bad eyesight is on the rise...
KVRAF

Postby Tricky-Loops; Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:04 am Re: Skin cancer rates are soaring higher..

V0RT3X wrote:I'm not going to be running outside in a sweater and pants. I'll get freakin heatstroke
No, but you can choose the morning or evening hours for running, so you don't need sunscreen!
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic