What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

stillshaded
KVRist
 
305 posts since 18 Apr, 2011

Postby stillshaded; Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:18 am Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

It's a bit frustrating to me that after all these years, still nothing touches Logic's ultrabeat. A lot of you are probably saying "that's not true blah blah blah" but think about it for a minute.

It has two oscillators per voice, one of which can be changed into a sampler with modulatable sample start point (and you can FM the other oscilator with the sampe which is fantastic), it also has a physical modelling osc. If has filters that are great, distortion, noise, eq, fantastic lfo's and envelopes, and you can modulated almost everything (including modulation by midi sources). And of course the sound quality of everything is top notch. Not to mention the internal sequencer which allows you to offset EVERY PARAMETER by step. It's bonkers.

What I don't understand, is why someone hasn't basically just made the same thing in VST format for everyone who doesn't use logic. There are some really great soft drum synths out there, but Ultrabeat is really the only one I can see covering all my bases. Unfortunately, I don't use Logic anymore, it just doesn't suit my workflow as much as FL studio (what a change I know), so I'm stuck pining away for my sweet Ultrabeat.

Ya feel me?
User avatar
33tetragammon
KVRist
 
166 posts since 22 Aug, 2010, from Netherlands

Postby 33tetragammon; Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:31 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

Totally agree, Ultrabeat is a MONSTER, just like Sculpture. They both sound incredible. One of the reasons i still use Logic X.
I also wish Apple would sell them as separate plugins so we could use them in any DAW....I use Live everyday, because my creativity just flows unhindered with it.....Logic makes some things harder than they should be imo. But that's another topic....
djquikcompton
KVRist
 
73 posts since 17 Apr, 2007

Postby djquikcompton; Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:59 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

Also the new Retro synth is dangerously good for a bundled DAW synth.

The analog part sounds exactly like a Juno.

The FM is very good for bells and electric pianos.

It can do everything apart from the Moog mono sound, the Virus hyper saw sound [& zero delay filters], which should be fixed in the next update :wink:

Image
User avatar
V0RT3X
KVRAF
 
3977 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:11 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

I actually love using Ultrabeat, and I own Geist and Tremor which are both very awesome plugins as well. However I like the Ultrabeat setup and I think it is a very capable drum machine.
User avatar
do_androids_dream
KVRian
 
925 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:16 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

I used ultra for the 3 years I was at Uni - hands down the best software drum app I've used too. Sculpture was awesome too.
Professional online mixing and mastering at very competitive rates.
Web / Soundcloud
User avatar
murnau
KVRAF
 
2697 posts since 13 Jan, 2005, from Deutschland

Postby murnau; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:19 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

i remember the interface of ultrabeat just puts me off, the whole gui was terrible. (i think thats the reason many don't know what it's capable of).
“Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more” ― Nikola Tesla
User avatar
V0RT3X
KVRAF
 
3977 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:33 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

You could easily just rely on logic plugins to create professional sounding electronic music. Some might consider this heresy here at KVR but it's true.
User avatar
do_androids_dream
KVRian
 
925 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:39 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

I always liked the 'sci-fi' interfaces of logic's instruments. I can totally understand folks not liking them though!
Professional online mixing and mastering at very competitive rates.
Web / Soundcloud
djquikcompton
KVRist
 
73 posts since 17 Apr, 2007

Postby djquikcompton; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:39 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

V0RT3X wrote:You could easily just rely on logic plugins to create professional sounding electronic music. Some might consider this heresy here at KVR but it's true.


Not really true, Logic doesn't have a modern sounding synth that can do huge unison leads. Nor does it have a proper Moog emulation or a realistic piano.

I would say Logic + Massive + Monark + Ivory is what you need to make professional sounding edm.
beely
KVRist
 
202 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Postby beely; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:44 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

djquikcompton wrote:I would say Logic + Massive + Monark + Ivory is what you need to make professional sounding edm.


Ivory? You need a classical piano* to make convincing edm? :dog: :nutter:

Logic and some creativity is plenty of tools to make good things. Of course, other tools will give more variety, options and make some things easier and faster to get to... basically, in this day and age, the tools are not a problem and not a limiting factor.

Similarly, there are plenty of people with *all* the tools, and their music is still godawful.

FWIW Whenever I've tried I always found Massive to sound bland and uninspiring, or just boring. The best thing about it is it's interface, but hey, we all like different things and that's a good thing...

* Or maybe you mean this: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/ivory-wind-by-embertone/details
my fish aren't weird
User avatar
V0RT3X
KVRAF
 
3977 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:51 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

djquikcompton wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:You could easily just rely on logic plugins to create professional sounding electronic music. Some might consider this heresy here at KVR but it's true.


Not really true, Logic doesn't have a modern sounding synth that can do huge unison leads. Nor does it have a proper Moog emulation or a realistic piano.

I would say Logic + Massive + Monark + Ivory is what you need to make professional sounding edm.


In the right hands a good artist could easily just use logic to put out a hit. I'm not talking about preset producers who buy a synth just to use presets, but someone who has knowledge in how to do their own sound design.

For instance..

If you needed a supersaw synth or something you could use sampled synthesizers in EXS.

Glitches could easily be done manually with the audio editing functions.

Sure maybe Logic does'nt have something like Massive with its amazing modulation system, but it does have plenty of options to modulate stuff with daw automation using ES2.

Considering that most people who are going to listen to this song on the radio won't give a shit if a synth has unison or not, i don't see the need.

A minimoog emulation? Again just load up some EXS samples of a moog. Also the new retro synth can do very good moog-like tones.

I also think that having multisampled pianos isn't going to be a real necessity in EDM since most people are going to focus more on the drop, synthesizers, risers and drums. EXS has a decent piano in it and again i think with the right amount of sound design knowledge you can create some realistic sounding piano sounds, and if all fails...

You can use logic and just record a real instrument where you don't have a plugin option.
;)
User avatar
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
 
1801 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:42 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

I accept that Ultrabeat has great facilities, but its GUI is awful. It's not easy to remember or intuitive to learn whatsoever. I wish Reason's Kong was available inside Logic instead. That thing is straight forward.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
 
3742 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:56 am Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

Sound and feature wise Ultrabeat is pretty great. But I think Maschine 2 has it beat overall as a drum machine with all it's new drum synth types and the overall workflow.

Ultrabeat is pretty cool looking if you're into spaceships, but the interface is just too small.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
stillshaded
KVRist
 
305 posts since 18 Apr, 2011

Postby stillshaded; Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:10 pm Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

Yes the interface is crappy, I will concede.

Hmm curious about the new drum synth modules on Maschine 2, but I don't think I'll ever end up getting it because I'm a nerd who mostly draws everything into the piano roll.
User avatar
Sendy
KVRAF
 
4362 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Postby Sendy; Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm Re: Ultrabeat: still the best soft drum synth

djquikcompton wrote:Also the new Retro synth


They called their synth WHAT?! :dog:

They should be beaten with a plushie of the word "retro". I can't even google that name to find out more about it, because pretty much every VA synth comes up when you search "retro synth" :D
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp!
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments