What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AstralExistence wrote: open source sucks
Open source isn't for you my friend. For me, I couldn't do my work without open source. If you want to improve it, join in. People that think that the point of open source is about providing free software for everyday joes really should use the commercial operating systems.

There's been a few people now who have said something like

"I like Linux but not for audio - I wouldn't want to use it for that"

Which is fair enough if its lacking the apps or plugins you need but why should you be content dual-booting, using VMs or wine? I don't understand the number of people who seem to be against the idea of pro audio software getting ported to Linux, like it'd be polluting it or something. Surely having more choice of OS environments for audio production (and being able to avoid the MS / Apple taxes, Microsofts 'Genuine Advantage' protection schemes, NSA backdoors etc) would be good for everyone?

I was really hoping people would be listing types of plugins or audio apps that Linux lacks rather than trash talking OSs.

danboid wrote: I was really hoping people would be listing types of plugins or audio apps that Linux lacks rather than trash talking OSs.
danboid wrote: Windows 8 needs no explanation - I'm sure this has inspired millions to (re)consider switching to Linux.
Ooohh you meant dont trash talk linux?

Adobe suite, all the plugins i own, motsly NI, U-he and the few games I play from time to time. I use CentOS for servers, ubuntu for development and Win 8 for everything else.

Can you please tell me how long I have till Microsoft is out off business?

I would not mind using Linux as I don't like big companies such as MS or Apple. But I also use this computer for work and I have to use a specific Word macro that just won't work in OO or other programs like that.

I don't think secret services are less of an issue with Linux. I am sure they know that Linux is preferred by certain people and thus they can hack into Linux just as easily.

I tried Linux years ago, didn't get anywhere, lots of driver issues. I suppose they have been resolved by now, but unless I see a real advantage in using Linux I don't know why I should even try. I only have one hard drive, I don't want to mess around with partitions and such things. I am not enough of a nerd for that. So the only way for me would be to replace Windows completely, format my drive, and use Linux as the only OS - which I can't because of Word. I don't suppose the converter program is perfect, it probably has its limits just like J-Bridge in the audio world.

I probably would have to replace other stuff as well, like the ancient Winamp 2.95 that I still use... I am a lazy person sticking to what is good, I just don't feel like getting into some OS adventure at this point.

My first experience with Linux was using Mandrake back around 2001 or so, when installing NVIDIA drivers was an adventure. Tried early versions of Ubuntu, and kept a system floating around for many years until recently, on Windows and Mac hardware.

I quite like Linux, but to answer the question - what keeps me from switching? It's just (native) compatibility. Tracktion 5 works on linux now, but sadly Ableton Live doesn't - and AFAIK, my vast collection of VST's don't either. If they did, I'd consider switching.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

mcnelson wrote:My first experience with Linux was using Mandrake back around 2001 or so, when installing NVIDIA drivers was an adventure. Tried early versions of Ubuntu, and kept a system floating around for many years until recently, on Windows and Mac hardware.

I quite like Linux, but to answer the question - what keeps me from switching? It's just (native) compatibility. Tracktion 5 works on linux now, but sadly Ableton Live doesn't - and AFAIK, my vast collection of VST's don't either. If they did, I'd consider switching.
You pretty much hit the main points for me.

I'm pretty sure that Linux will cover more bases eventually but not foe now....
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Nothing has stopped me to switch to Linux... I use Linux since about 18 years and have used it a long time as my primary OS. I still use it for development but today in a virtual machine on Windows.
I think the time is over to use only one thing for everything. I use Android (Linux) like million others for my smartphone+tablet, I use Linux on my server and for development, I use Windows for music.. I would not have a problem to use MacOS X on a laptop.
For music it makes IMO not so much sense because of the mediocre support from companies, so some things (for many users important things) are not working. If people like a Unix OS and a well designed interface MacOS X is IMO a better option.

What stops you switching to Linux?
Linux.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

digidennis:

I'd by lying if I said I wasn't expected any OS bashing as I do put the boot in with Win8 at pretty much every chance I get. Its well-deserved, of course ;)

Win 7 EOL's about 2020 so MS have a few years yet to make a comeback. My hopes aren't high.

4damind:

I'm well aware of OSX, as I said in the OP. I happen to prefer Linux, after owning several Macs and Hackintoshs. KDE's Dolphin file manager is much superior to Finder, ext4 / xfs etc are much better filesystems than HFS+, Linux uses less resources and seems faster at many tasks than OSX (booting for one) and Linux supports much more hardware than OSX. OK, maybe not pro-audio hardware but its much easier to install Linux than set up a Hackintosh - Linux is as easy to install on a PC as OSX is on a Mac, usually.

Thanks to those who have answered my question!

Hi Dan

The Linux audio community can be pretty bad – there are some very entrenched views and woe betide you fall outside the group-think. I turned my back on a major part of the community at the beginning of the year, after about 9 years, after I saw a very ugly side to its nature.

I'm pragmatic. I don't care about things being FLOSS, I don't care about them being commercial, I don't care about them being non-Linux. The linuxDSP plugins are superb, I wish there were more of them.

I'm a recent convert to Pianoteq and am very grateful that they support Linux. That came about because I built a new PC at the end of last year and updated to the latest UbuntuStudio and try as I might, I couldn't get NI's B4II or Elektrik Piano to work under Wine, when they had worked fine on my old machine (never had to re-authorise after I first installed them on that old machine and it was five years old when I retired it). So I ditched B4 for VB3 which works perfectly under Wine and Elektrik Piano for Pianoteq. I've also now ditched all the Gigasampler pianos because they can't stand up to Pianoteq.

Shortly after I replaced them I managed to get the NI plugins working :lol: But I prefer VB3 and Pianoteq.

The biggest worry I had was that I couldn't get M-Tron Pro to work. VSM was less of an issue as I now have that base covered to some degree by hardware. For the music I make I couldn't face a life without Mellotron so it was a relief when I got it to work. Taijiguy's samples, that I packaged in Giga for LinuxSampler, are great but there's not the diversity that M-Tron offers.

It's things like that that are lacking for me: there are certain sounds, such as accurate Hammond emulation, decent classic synth emulation (doesn't bother me now I'm entirely hardware on the synth front), Mellotron, that you just can't get under Linux. For some that means they don't have access to those sounds, but as I say, I'm pragmatic and have no qualms about using non-FLOSS, commercial, Windows software tools to get the job done. It would be very nice to have native options – things suddenly not working with Wine is always a major worry – but it doesn't bother me.

The other area I feel it's lacking is sampling. Gigastudio is now very old so there are no new libraries for it and very few older ones, Linuxsampler doesn't support all the features (convolution was always a bummer) and development on it seems glacially slow. SFZ seems a bit more promising; I've just spent ages remapping drum samples and it's far easier to work with than Gigedit and Giga files. Oh yeah, that's another bugbear: drum programming.

Hydrogen's development is glacially slow as well. Plus it seems to have a crisis of identity and is woefully lacking in certain areas (as development seems to be heading off on a tangent). So in the last week I've decided to ditch Hydrogen completely, switching to Carla or LS and SFZ. It's going to be a steep learning curve to programme in Ardour, but I'm sure it'll be worth it and will be better in the end. Ardour's midi still seems a bit unstable, but at least visible progress is being made and it's getting there.

Which all sounds like a major bitch, but I'm actually a happy Linux audio user (in the general sense) and have been since 2005.
And it is as it is and we take as we find / Always next season's buds on the bough / But I'll never find a better time / Hard though it is to allow / I'll never find a better time / To be alive than now

Hi Lost Highway!

Thanks for your comprehensive response! I was originally wanting to hear from people who'd given Linux a proper try but found its audio software lacking then decided not to use it although your complaints are just as valid and you've provided the most detailed response yet - its the sort of thing I wanted.

I'm a bit like you - I don't insist on all FLOSS and I do use non-free / closed source when there are no good free options - I call my stance "FLOSS where poss". Using wine is a last resort for me, for exactly the reasons you describe.

As for Hammond emulation, did you try setBfree or Calf organ? Unfortunately setBfree doesnt like qtractor but its a great Hammond emulator if you're using A3 or another non-Qt LV2 host.

There is another Linux sampler in the works by the main CALF dev (K. 'cat pix' Foltman) and Nils Gey. No word on an ETA though. I expect it'll have a more standard license than LS.

Mellotron? You're recording prog rock? Links please!

Thanks!

There is no motive for me to switch to Linux. I'd be giving up Maschine, FL Studio, Sound Forge, nearly all my plugins, the Patchblocks editor, nearly all my games, my sanity, working hardware drivers, several years of familiarity with the OS, and the world's largest development and user community in exchange for... what? Some symbolic gesture against Microsoft that is utterly meaningless because I've already paid for Windows?

I have experimented with dual-booting and with Linux on spare machines in the past. I never actually got anything out of it aside from the amusement value of tinkering, coupled with the frustration of stuff just not working.

spaceman wrote:
What stops you switching to Linux?
Linux.

you win.

I am a happy Linux audio user, among others. We come in peace.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

I really gave it a go for music production, but when the system's volume mixer started to glitch, I decided that a massively update-patched windows install was much more stable for me than "simple, perfect" linux coding which was glitching like crazy.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”