Which hardware defines the Asio usage for live VST uses.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello guys,
I'm creating projects in Cubase 6 using a lot of VST plugins over my VST instruments.
For example, I'm putting an Izotop Ozone drums preset over a superior drummer track, and an Izotope Nectar preset over a vocal record track, etcetera etcetera. On the stereo out track I'm putting an Ozone mastering preset. The buffer size i'm using the most is 128 and less so I wouldn't have any Latency issues while recording live.

As you can understand I'm a heavy consumer of Asio, and after having 10~ channels like those I just described, my system starting to choke and I need to bypass some of the VST plugins or lift the buffer size which is a problem if I'm recording with headphones as a monitor.

My question is, what hardware should I improve in order to be able loading more VST plugins and instruments while using a 128 buffer size without cracklings and stuff?

Here's my spec:
Intel I7-3930k
Intel DX79si motherboard
Ripjaws-Z 16 Gigs ram
Fireface 400 using the on-board firewire connection
SSD for the OS and an SSD for some of the Plugins.

Thanks!!

CPU is the determining factor in ASIO usage - faster process means more plugin processing capabilities.

The audio driver will make some difference, but since you're running and RME card - and RME have the best performing drivers - there is no room for improvement unless you went with a PCIe card instead of FW (but note, the additional processing would be minimal, so probably not worth it).

I think the problem is really related to the type of plugins you are running live. Ozone is really a mastering tool, which would typically be used on a single audio track during the mastering process.

It's not designed for low latency, live playback / performance.

Nectar is also known to be a CPU killer, to be used sparingly or to work around CPU limitations by bouncing / freezing the audio processed by the plugin.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Time to start bouncing down to audio tracks maybe? Thats how I do it for live stuff on my old laptop.

What exactly are you doing?

BTW, what are the main differences between FF400 and UAD-2 Quad for example, because they're saying its having 4 cores or something...

noambason wrote:What exactly are you doing?
I use Ableton Live on a dual core laptop. I bounce any clips that are "fx dependent" to new audio clips with fx included in the bounce. The only fx I run live are a compresser/limiter on the master, and a delay and reverb on 2 fx sends. I don't play any instruments live ... just launch clips or scenes on the fly.

Okay, but the only problem is that if i want to make some changes to the clips, I need to re-enable them, make the changes and then export them. Its not the way I would like to treat my muse if you know what I'm saying....

Is it possible to freeze tracks in Cubase to free up CPU?

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
I think the problem is really related to the type of plugins you are running live. Ozone is really a mastering tool, which would typically be used on a single audio track during the mastering process.

It's not designed for low latency, live playback / performance.
This

Another question that haven't been answered yet:

"BTW, what are the main differences between FF400 and UAD-2 Quad for example, because they're saying its having 4 cores or something..."

UAD is a DSP platform, but it's really just a fancy way of saying "hardware copy protection".

There are some great plugins available, and some of the processing is done on the hardware side, but not enough to make a significant difference to how many plugins you can run in a single session. That's why UAD talk about "cores" - more cores on the UAD hardware means more UAD plugins in a session (but still constrained by regular CPU).

Also you would need to buy plugins in UAD format (expensive ...).

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

I hate conspiracies....

Can someone recommend which are the best live vocal effects?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”