What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

R.I.P. OSX

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRist

346 posts since 31 Aug, 2013

Postby Bombadil; Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:27 pm Re: R.I.P. OSX

I'll just hold off on the update as long as possible. I think Apple should've stayed with Snow Leopard for a while longer. Their business model is starting to annoy me, but I can't see myself ever getting a Windows machine. I've used Macs since 1988.
KVRAF

2419 posts since 17 Jul, 2002

Postby George; Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:52 pm Re: R.I.P. OSX

A bit dramatic considering it's a DP1 what we're talking about... there are about 5 months left until 10.10.0 which is definitely not recommended to use on production as everyone knows with OS X. Things will probably get better once we get 10.10.3 next year.
KVRAF

8229 posts since 9 Jan, 2004, from leroyaumeuni

Postby spaceman; Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:26 am Re: R.I.P. OSX

Apart from the more colourful open/close/minimise buttons, I can see very little difference. I would wait with the complaining until more info is released. It wouldn't surprise me if they add accessibility settings that enable you to switch of some things like transparency.

And I would have thought that a flat look distracts less, not more, than the silly 3D crap.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth
fmr
KVRAF

2767 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:53 am Re: R.I.P. OSX

I don't understand this "nouvelle vague" of flat look ugly interfaces. Windows always had the chance to disable transparencies and all that, and returning to the (ugly) look of Windows 98/2000. I read that Microsoft is planning to reimplant Aero in one of the new releases of their OS (I sincerely hope so).

I, for a change, am in favour of good looking GUIs, and they don't distract me, os mess with me. In fact, what messes with me is this "retro" movement of returning everything to the 80s look (it hurts my eyes). Why not return to black and white, then?

I think all OS producers should give options to the users. Those who want good look, have it. Those who don't, disable it. But forcing users to look to flat square screns filled with a monochromatic basic colour and with flat square icons that look like they were designed by a 10 year old kid is completely displeasing.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)
KVRist

154 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Postby sprnva; Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:07 am Re: R.I.P. OSX

I'm running a clean install here to have a look. There's a couple of things you can do to tone down the UI a bit.

Firstly, the trusty old Graphite option is still there to tone down the window buttons.

Also, Accessibility has an option to turn off most of the transparency. You'll get a solid menu bar, menus and finder sidebar. The dark theme should hopefully take care of the folder icons.

It doesn't feel as flat as Metro but I guess they figured it was time for a change. It's nowhere near as garish as Jaguar or Panther. I'm still running Snow Leopard on my DAW and doubt that will change any time soon. These newer OS X releases seem to be more geared towards integrating with mobile devices and the internet.
KVRian

982 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:30 am Re: R.I.P. OSX

Compyfox wrote:My hopes go to Win9. But people keep up the rumor, that Win9 will be heavily relying on "Cloud Services" in order to even run. If that#s really tur, I don't know what to think of that. I'm fine with still not using any(!) cloud services. Win8.1 is out of the Q for me... man do I hate the look of it.

That's my fear too - that one day I will be forced to run an OS that's always connected and relies on this just to even run. I'm guessing that more and more software will try to move to this 'model' too where you have to be connected just to even use it. I dunno, I guess we will all have a good moan about it if and when it happens then we'll all have to just get on with it and embrace it. Turns out 'they' are very much in control of us... I try to stick to software that's coded by, shall we say, user-centric/less money grabbing devs (cockos etc.) that use either no installer or very non intrusive installation processes that don't rely on being connected or use copy protection schemes that rely on being connected. Hopefully this will be enough to ensure I can work in the way I choose to work for as long as possible. I'm still on Vista btw.
Professional online mixing and mastering at very competitive rates.
Web / Soundcloud
KVRAF

Postby spaceman; Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:58 am Re: R.I.P. OSX

do_androids_dream wrote:I'm still on Vista btw.

Weirdo.
KVRian

Postby do_androids_dream; Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:03 am Re: R.I.P. OSX

spaceman wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:I'm still on Vista btw.

Weirdo.

:lol:
Web / Soundcloud
KVRian

Postby do_androids_dream; Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:19 am Re: R.I.P. OSX

chokehold wrote:But as soon as a phone rings, I'm out. Completely thrown off the track, takes me several minutes to get back into the previous flow.

You sound similar to me. Count yourself lucky it only takes a few minutes... Sometimes a major distraction can totally pull me out of something I'm doing that requires concentration and a lot of thought - I sometimes completely fail at getting back into it and have to abandon it for a fresh start the next day. I also need a very stable, quiet atmosphere around me to work. Even if my door is closed (I work from home), but I can hear things going on in the house, it distracts me.
Web / Soundcloud
KVRAF

Postby spaceman; Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:57 am Re: R.I.P. OSX

do_androids_dream wrote:
chokehold wrote:But as soon as a phone rings, I'm out. Completely thrown off the track, takes me several minutes to get back into the previous flow.

You sound similar to me. Count yourself lucky it only takes a few minutes... Sometimes a major distraction can totally pull me out of something I'm doing that requires concentration and a lot of thought - I sometimes completely fail at getting back into it and have to abandon it for a fresh start the next day. I also need a very stable, quiet atmosphere around me to work. Even if my door is closed (I work from home), but I can hear things going on in the house, it distracts me.

When it comes to music, it can take an hour for me to get back on track.
Lousy right brain.
KVRAF

20037 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:43 am Re: R.I.P. OSX

Compyfox wrote:
robojam wrote:Can't say I think it's any worse than the jump from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

Or Windows 3.11 to Win95
Or X-BOX OS to XB360 Dashboard
Or Android v3 to Android v4
Or OS9 to OSX

Or... whatever...

Yep, and probably many more. This isn't really a huge change compared to some OS updates, and no one is really ever going to stop the change, so for the most part I don't complain about OS changes between versions anymore.
KVRAF

1507 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:25 am Re: R.I.P. OSX

i quite like the flat interfaces, and aero too. but then i never thought the old win95'ish look was particularly attractive.
From Russia with love
KVRAF

10225 posts since 18 Jun, 2008, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:24 pm Re: R.I.P. OSX

Here is a quick but quite detailed look at the new interface for OS 10.10:

https://bold.pixelapse.com/minming/mac- ... ying-glass

Nothing too shocking, really ;)
KVRAF

3954 posts since 6 Sep, 2006, from Elk Grove, CA

Postby cryophonik; Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:42 pm Re: R.I.P. OSX

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Here is a quick but quite detailed look at the new interface for OS 10.10:

https://bold.pixelapse.com/minming/mac- ... ying-glass

Nothing too shocking, really ;)

So, basically, my MacBook Air will look more like my iPad and my iPhone. OK.

But, I hope that doesn't mean that my wallpaper will be all f'ed up on my MBA now, too. :x
KVRAF

5234 posts since 23 May, 2002, from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Postby kritikon; Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:46 pm Re: R.I.P. OSX

Dunno about appley OS things, but I certainly don't agree about tablets. Having held off for ages getting one, I'm an instant convert. No more sore mouse wrist, and it's a piece of piss using stuff that took ages on a PC. I even like the iterative text or what ever you call it. I pooh poohed it for ages, but nowadays it works well and saves time typing long passages. Must admit I find copy and paste a bit clunky, but overall, I use my tablet in preference to PC now, and I'm an old fart.

Don't like Win8 on the missus' laptop, although I suspect it works well on a tablet. I find even Android is so much quicker than constantly having to wheel around a screen on any PC OS. I liked ipads whenever I used them too.

And as mentioned -how come a supposed programmer can't figure out how to turn off notifications and automatic updates etc? I'm old enough to qualify for free prostate exams this year (oh joy of joys... :neutral: ) and even I can figure that one out.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic