---

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VOX Continental V2

bbaggins wrote:My own (totally made-up) theory is that Arturia licensed the Vox name (it's the only emulation that actually uses "Vox" in its name) and was granted an exclusive license in exchange for a cut of the sales. They then rang up Theo and said "your organ looks too much like a Vox Continental and it's the same colour as ours".
We will know for sure if Arturia was behind the ComboV disappearance if they ever put out a Farfisa and ComboF suddenly disappears too.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
bbaggins wrote:My own (totally made-up) theory is that Arturia licensed the Vox name (it's the only emulation that actually uses "Vox" in its name) and was granted an exclusive license in exchange for a cut of the sales. They then rang up Theo and said "your organ looks too much like a Vox Continental and it's the same colour as ours".
We will know for sure if Arturia was behind the ComboV disappearance if they ever put out a Farfisa and ComboF suddenly disappears too.
Exact. Even that it wouldn't be a formal proof... but indeed a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very strong presumption of their implication in these disappearances.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Numanoid wrote:
Arturia has announced the Vox Continental V
For me this is a big yawn :? Sorry, I can't relate to e-pianos...

Arturia should trust their own products, why not offer Origin V or Brute V ?
The Vox Continental isn't an e-piano.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_Continental

I had one of these for a long time. Cool little organ. I finally sold it to a repair guy when I couldn't afford to re-cap it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

BlackWinny wrote:He didn't use it in the name of the product, but he referred explicitely to it in the PDF manual at different places (first as soon as the introduction he wrote "Combo Model V is a virtual combo organ, modelled after the mother of all combo organs: the Vox ® Continental. Vox ® is a registered trademark of Korg Europe Limited. Note that Korg does not endorse Combo Model V, nor is Korg in any way associated or affiliated with Martinic.")

So if a company (Arturia or anither one) has licensed the Vox name and was granted an exclusive license, yes they can forbid him to use it. But they can't forbid him to distribute his product if he accepts to change enough characteristics to make the product less close to the original. And that's possible without loosing the reputation of the product. But it needs time of course. It can be a reason of the sudden disappearance of the product, but it doesn't prevent a later reapparance with some modified characteristics and without any references to the brand name. And concerning the GUI (and the color), it is the same.

But again... all that are only suppositions on the totally unknown causes of the disappearance.
Well, yes, he referred to it in several places--but only to give the current trademark owner proper credit. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised--and glad--he did that. Several of the emulation developers I've seen don't bother even doing that for their "freebies".

That said, it would only take 10 minutes to change the text on the website and in a PDF after he received a "cease and desist" letter from Arturia...if they'd even bother.

As for the color, that can't be trademarked or copyrighted. In reality, Martinic's is probably not that close to whatever the specific shade of orange actually was. And unlike Arturia's planned instrument's GUI, Martinic didn't even really "model" the entire organ. Arturia's is quite different in the way it looks--and, no doubt, performs.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, and you brought up some good points (and as usual, did your research! :wink: ). I think this is an interesting discussion of international trademark laws, and I'll be interested to see what comes of it. Looks like there's almost as much discussion here about the "disappearance of Martinic's Combo V" as there are in some of the conspiracy threads on other websites!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:He didn't use it in the name of the product, but he referred explicitely to it in the PDF manual at different places (first as soon as the introduction he wrote "Combo Model V is a virtual combo organ, modelled after the mother of all combo organs: the Vox ® Continental. Vox ® is a registered trademark of Korg Europe Limited. Note that Korg does not endorse Combo Model V, nor is Korg in any way associated or affiliated with Martinic.")

So if a company (Arturia or anither one) has licensed the Vox name and was granted an exclusive license, yes they can forbid him to use it. But they can't forbid him to distribute his product if he accepts to change enough characteristics to make the product less close to the original. And that's possible without loosing the reputation of the product. But it needs time of course. It can be a reason of the sudden disappearance of the product, but it doesn't prevent a later reapparance with some modified characteristics and without any references to the brand name. And concerning the GUI (and the color), it is the same.

But again... all that are only suppositions on the totally unknown causes of the disappearance.
Well, yes, he referred to it in several places--but only to give the current trademark owner proper credit. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised--and glad--he did that. Several of the emulation developers I've seen don't bother even doing that for their "freebies".

That said, it would only take 10 minutes to change the text on the website and in a PDF after he received a "cease and desist" letter from Arturia...if they'd even bother.

As for the color, that can't be trademarked or copyrighted. In reality, Martinic's is probably not that close to whatever the specific shade of orange actually was. And unlike Arturia's planned instrument's GUI, Martinic didn't even really "model" the entire organ. Arturia's is quite different in the way it looks--and, no doubt, performs.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, and you brought up some good points (and as usual, did your research! :wink: ). I think this is an interesting discussion of international trademark laws, and I'll be interested to see what comes of it. Looks like there's almost as much discussion here about the "disappearance of Martinic's Combo V" as there are in some of the conspiracy threads on other websites!

Steve
As we say in France 'Nous en sommes réduits à des conjectures", which means (I don't know if there is an equivalent in English) "We have alas nothing else that suppositions about that totally strange mystery".

And yes, I totally agree with you.

And what looks even much more strange is the fact that him, who was so close to us here, informing us for each update on the very day... has become now totally mute in spite of the huge number of posts everywhere about that stunning event. Really, I don't understand at all not only the disappearance of the product, but above all his silence whilst he is probably still subscriber of this thread and the other one of the last month.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

His profile says he logged in three days ago. I'm thinking he took Oceana Airlines and is now sipping mango juice on an uncharted island with Torben Kjaerhus Larsen.

Oy! While I too am sorely disappointed with how Theo went all "Jimmy Hoffa" on us, it's not fair to put him in the same category as Kjaerhus. Martinic never sold his VSTi creations. Mind you, I suspect that there were at least a few of us whom had donated towards the continuation of the wonderful products that he kindly blessed us with. Still, that's not the same as selling them and leaving folks "high n' dry". As others have pointed out, there are links still available to legally download Combo Model V.

Besides . . . anyone who really needs to use their legally purchased Kjaerhus plugs can find em' through avenues such as filestube. That said, older 32 bit plug-ins are not exactly in high demand now-a-days. :borg:
bbaggins wrote:His profile says he logged in three days ago. I'm thinking he took Oceana Airlines and is now sipping mango juice on an uncharted island with Torben Kjaerhus Larsen.
Last edited by Brother Charles on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

zerocrossing wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

I had one of these for a long time. Cool little organ. I finally sold it to a repair guy when I couldn't afford to re-cap it.
Yup, an embarrasing mistake :oops:

Just goes to show how much I like e-pianos or organs :clown:

Numanoid wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

For decades, I wasn't big on electric pianos or organs much, either. But within the past year, I've really grown to love the sound of a classic Rhodes (especially with a little "bite" from distortion). I'm using organs more in some of the things I'm doing. Neither instrument is as "limited" as I guess I once thought it was. And there's just something about the Rhodes with slight chorus, tremolo and subtle auto-panning; or a Vox or B3 clone with a good Leslie simulation.

Everyone's taste varies and changes over time. I never thought I'd use "traditional emulations" (since almost everything I did was synth-based), but I've expanded my palette of sounds and my styles quite a bit by adding the Rhodes and B3. Your mileage may vary, or course. ;)

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

For decades, I wasn't big on electric pianos or organs much, either. But within the past year, I've really grown to love the sound of a classic Rhodes (especially with a little "bite" from distortion). I'm using organs more in some of the things I'm doing. Neither instrument is as "limited" as I guess I once thought it was. And there's just something about the Rhodes with slight chorus, tremolo and subtle auto-panning; or a Vox or B3 clone with a good Leslie simulation.

Everyone's taste varies and changes over time. I never thought I'd use "traditional emulations" (since almost everything I did was synth-based), but I've expanded my palette of sounds and my styles quite a bit by adding the Rhodes and B3. Your mileage may vary, or course. ;)

Steve
It's very simple, in short when we think. Very simple, but very important for the emotion that we keep engraved in us for the rest of our life. While nowadays every synth is able to do almost everything and all almost as well... at this nostalgic epoch that we knew (at least those of my age) each of these models had a real unique personality! Very often we loved the signature of the sound of a model as well as we loved the particular inimitable sound of the voice of this or that woman. The emotion was actually in this unique timbre.

Well it's out. Been playing with it a while and I really like this - it has a really alive feel to the sound, very vibrant and makes me think of Young Marble Giants (if anyone remembers that great band). Very different feel to a B3, less heavy and dark - lots of fun! This is a very deep emulation with tons of options.

I got this yesterday.. I find it really excellent! :)
When it was first announced (I already have Martinic's excellent ComboV (and contributed ;) ), and I saw the proposed GUI, I was worried that it might fall into the same category (for me) as Arturia's WurlizerV.. great interface, lots of lovely FX, but the worst basic Wurli sound I have ever tried (and I generally like Arturia very much).. So I was rather expecting to pass on this one (spellchecked that last sentence :P ).
Then came all the hooha about Martinic's ComboV being discontinued etc… which really did get me thinking there might indeed be some correlation between the two events.. Tale has always been so proactive, and communitative, not to mention "friendly" and, especially, "generous" ;), that I'm sure he'd have told us what was happening, if he were allowed to do so. All this, making me rethink the Arturia offering (if indeed this is Tale's work as its base, then my worries about it actually sounding crap would be dispelled forever ;) ).
I look at it this way..
There won't be any further updated version of ComboV anyways.. so, time to move on. The Arturia Vox Continental V goes much further than the ComboV (dual keyboard plus pedals, "Vox" +"Jennings" sound models, built-in FX, etc.)
So, like I said at the top.. I got it.. and it is great.. and above all.. sounds fantastic :).
But I couldn't resist.. I loaded it, and the ComboV, alongside one another in Cubase 7.5, to compare basic sounds (bear in mind that the ComboV's drawbars correspond to the lower keyboard of the Arturia), so, setting the Arturia to "Vox" mode, direct sound (no amp), lower keyboard non-extended.. the two instruments do sound remarkably similar ;). Add to that, all the ComboV's extra settings, such as individual tuning, are all present in the Arturia (albeit housed in a different user interface).
All pure speculation, of course ;).. but, if I am right, there are no losers (Tale will have come to some amicable/financial agreement with Arturia.. I am pretty sure that, as commented elsewhere, I really don't think Arturia would have had the grounds for a simple "Cease and Desist".. and nothing prevents anyone from continuing to support Tale via PayPal anyways), and even if you consider the Vox Continental V as a ComboV mkII, you will be getting a great instrument (and possibly Tale gets something out of it too.. and very deservedly so, if I am correct ;) )
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

vic_france wrote:[EDIT]I was worried that it might fall into the same category (for me) as Arturia's WurlizerV.. great interface, lots of lovely FX, but the worst basic Wurli sound I have ever tried (and I generally like Arturia very much).. So I was rather expecting to pass on this one
Thank you for that review! I also have Arturia's Wurli V, and I really wanted to like it, yet I just can't seem to find any love for it. Like you, I was afraid this would be similar, and I'm really glad it isn't.

Steve

A very impressive demo - makes me want to buy it!! Other priorities atm. 8)
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

For those who may be interested ;)..
Spitfire31 wrote:I would imagine that Theo Niessink, a.k.a. Tale (i.e. the dev himself [of the ComboV]), knows. But as you've noticed, he's not making any comments.
In the Arturia Vox Continental V "About " box, one of the credited programmers/sound designers is a certain "Theo Niessink" ;)
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

Return to “Instruments”