So, I want to make a death metal vocal library - any advice?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see you brought some DFFD here with you ;)

I created a KVR account just to let you know that I am very interested in this library! I am a huge fan of female vocals in extreme metal and would love to toy around with some decent samples. Best of luck.

This is a great and slightly surreal / monty python-esque idea.

You could just collect the lyrics for the best death metal bands' highest rated albums' and run a word frequency analysis on it.

darklyrics.com is good for this. Gives complete album lyrics in a single basic htmal format.

It would save a huge amount of time and effort regarding which words and phrases to use as well as how to approach your phrase builder.

You would also have to do it at at least three tempos so streching artifacts dont show up.

Doom / Sludge Tempos , Power / Mid / Thrash tempos, Grind / Black / Death tempos....

You would need at least 3 round robin samples for each word / phrase. No need for velocity layering as its 127 all the way :D

Some BM / Grind style shreiks would be nice too.

As would a general wordless folder full of growls, gurgles etc....

what the hell am i saying ? this is insane .....

Yeah, it is insane. Hopefully in a good way.

At least I'm not trying to make a voice library by combining dialogue samples of my favorite actress ever with a vocoder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJW-mZFIHo8

Even I know that would be insane in a bad way.

Jeezus !! I need to find that film NOW !!!

Well... I don't have any particular advice but keep me informed! :-)

I can't imagine using canned phrases or words, even in metal. I want my lyrics to say something I make up, even if they're growled or yelled or spoken. I have the same problem with canned dance vocals. They just seem silly.

That's why I'm really interested in Realitone's Blue. It's the least expensive vocal instrument I've found with a word builder, and it sounds awesome. I can't think of a use for this particular voice in my music, so I haven't bought it yet. For metal I want something much darker and grittier, male or female, or for dance, at least a little lower in register.

A wordbuilder is going to be the hardest part, and definitely something I can't do myself, but I'm already trying to talk a programmer into doing it. Death metal especially likes big words with lots of syllables.

Blue is definitely a big inspiration for this, also Voices Of Prague.

I would still suggest that a word frequency analysis for 5 or 6 archetypical death metal albums' lyrics would be a easier way to go.i.e a phrase builder

Three tempos : slow, medium, fast

At least four articulations : for eg greenway, barnes, vincent and petrov

Bingo !

I admit I just irrationally feel that wordbuilders are cool.

DSmolken wrote:I admit I just irrationally feel that wordbuilders are cool.

I was also fascinated with the word word builder used in conjunction with choral libraries, just like inwas with the word world building in fantasy fiction.

But its going to be a pain the ass to implement.

The phrase builder is soooo much easier :).

Maybe collaborate with Realitone?

Ha, no way, Realitone is on a whole another level... at this point all I have is an idea and a vocalist I can record.

Also, if muslimpunk or somebody else wants to do a phrasebuilder version,I wonder how much crossover there would be between archetypal death metal lyrics and Oswald Bates. "The ramification inflicted on the incision" is a very death metal phrase, isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ROOi5xagxg

I played around a bit with reconstructing a word recorded in a Poor Man's/Suburban Dad Metalhead Voice… very difficult to tie the word pieces together due to the harmonics and distortions. A couple of things came to mind:

1.) Instead of a straight sample engine, may want to consider resynthesis engine to allow for spectral morphing… may get better/more seamless transitions than brute force method using straight samples.

2.) How about a plugin instead of samples? Instead of trying to reconstruct words and phrases from pre-recorded vocals, why not try to turn any sampled voice into a death metal voice? You would need pitch/formant control, drive/overdrive/distortion, maybe vocode, perhaps some application of convolution? If there's an existing ad hoc chain that could get you close to what the technique sounds like, then that approach would def. be much less work than sample based approach.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Resynthesis engines, well, Utau's free, for one. Making a voicebank for it from growl samples - wonder how well that would work.

And as far as a deathmetalizer effects chain, people have turned Vocaloids into death metal, so it must be possible. I'd be very interested in finding out how they did that.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”